Jump to content
Rory

1/48 Tamiya He219

Recommended Posts

 
Finished, not happy with the canopy, I don't know why the marks inside appeared and not happy with the aerials, I have some Albion Alloys on order so I can make my own. Some of the paintwork needs touching up as I have only just noticed them.Paints are Mr Paint, a mix of Humbrol matt and gloss cote over the top then a coat of Klear over that, odds and sod paints by Humbrol and Xtracolour. All airbrushed through a Badger 200G.IMG_4788.jpg
IMG_4790.jpg
IMG_4792.jpg
IMG_4793.jpgIMG_4794.jpg
Edited by Rory
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like this. You're right about Albion products for the nose. Those would improve the look. The overall color tones look very even. It would be pleasing to see some minor variations in the green field, particularly on the tops of the wings where there's more UV exposure. The underside weathering with soot across the tail is quite good. But since those gear doors are so large, there's a feeling that more plumbing items in the wheel wells would be an enhancement.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The topside green is quite patchy and I do have some respraying to do after looking at the phots. Regarding the undercarriage bays, well , you won't see them when it's on its wheels!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Besides my pet peeve of missing flat spots on the tyres, I would add some dirt on the wheels if appropriate.  It seems a lot of German aircraft in the later stages of WW2 operated from grass fields, and then there would be mud/dust/soil on the tyres and also kicked up by the wheels.  Easy to add with pastels (either MiG or Hobbycraft chalk sticks) even if your model is finished.  You can mix them with water to a slurry and paint it on the wheels and areas, and if you don't like it, wash off. 

Good catch on the exhaust staining on the stabs Rory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about the wheels Jens, I will snap them off later and sand a flat. I might even repaint the sanded bits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Rory said:

I forgot about the wheels Jens, I will snap them off later and sand a flat. I might even repaint the sanded bits.

If you can get to the wheels to hold them steady and brace them with your fingers, you can put the model on a flat surface and place each u/c leg in turn over a corner of sandpaper. Then rapidly move the paper side to side / front to back etc. It gives perfectly aligned flats on all wheels. If you use the right grade of paper and move it fast enough there's very little load on the model. Just don't overdo it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for Jens. I snapped them off, well one of them, now drilled for a pin, the others fell off.I hope you satisfied now oh Steeler of Joy!

IMG_4801.jpg

 

Edited by Rory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jens H. Brandal said:

I only see one tyre with a flat spot:)

 

Jens

Hang on, I'll snap them back off and take a photo just for you Jens, you very special person you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Agree on the need for a panel line wash, but if you did it then you did it and it isn't showing up well in the photos. What did you attach the transparent parts with? Just wondering about the marks as well.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you use Tamiya tape to mask the canopy? I have discovered that at times it leaves a bit of residue, which looks like yours. A cotton swab with model wax would take it off nicely. Wait.........it is on the inside right? Nevermind.

I like the look with that scheme. It took me a second to realize I was looking at a 219. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more i think about it ,it must be a reaction from the glue I used to fix it on. Usually I dip the canopies in Klear to stop the superglue I usually use from fogging it  but as I was going to use Tamiya thin because the fit is soooooo good I dropped the dipping.

Lesson learned!

 

I'm now making new aerials  from Albion Alloy that I am happy with. It's not easy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2016 at 21:53, Richard Moore said:

Looking good Rory - really nice fit and finish.

If it were me I'd give her a panel line wash to darken the panel lines and make the rivets show up a bit.

 

On 18/08/2016 at 14:12, Guest said:

Agree on the need for a panel line wash, but if you did it then you did it and it isn't showing up well in the photos. What did you attach the transparent parts with? Just wondering about the marks as well.

John

But real aeroplanes aren't particularly "all panel liney".

 

For me Rory,the panel lines are perfect,I really dislike the "quilt look" that some think is how a real aeroplane looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...