Dazzo_Sukhoi

1/72 Peoples army

So as I said in my hello post, I'm working on a Cold War fictional Warsaw Pact army. Here's my current progress, some Zvezda hot War soviet infantry, painted up in my attempt at copying the Romanian motorised camouflage overall from the osprey book. Luckily for me I have around another ten boxes of these guys and some anti tank missiles to paint.... should be done in no time!!

large.IMG_6385.PNG.282f6296b133567e6383e

I'm using that camo suit as inspiration for now!!!! 

large.image1.jpeg.40bb459a4b3255c8875360

the end result, I'm not too keen on the size of the grey dots, but it's the best I can do?

• Like 2

Looking good
My LHS is also a LFGS (Local Friendly Game Store) and they play the (15mm) Flames of War Cold War game whose name escapes me.
Must admit these Zvezda figures look a lot better than the tiny heroic scale dudes from FoW 

Not sure of the best way to get a scale effect dappling on the uniform 

• Haha 1

What scale are they? And have you tried a cocktail stick or some other sharp implement dipped in the paint. It's time consuming but works. Looking good BTW 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

What scale are they? And have you tried a cocktail stick or some other sharp implement dipped in the paint. It's time consuming but works. Looking good BTW 

All 1/72, I'll try the stick!!!

44 minutes ago, Dazzo_Sukhoi said:

All 1/72, I'll try the stick!!!

Not tried them myself, but apparently the best thing to paint dots with is 'nail-art dotting tools'. I should imaging that they are quite sharply defined dots – I'm not sure if that's what you want.

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

Not tried them myself, but apparently the best thing to paint dots with is 'nail-art dotting tools'. I should imaging that they are quite sharply defined dots – I'm not sure if that's what you want.

I'll try it, see what happens 

Trying another camouflage pattern, this time based on the East German  Flächtarn pattern, I'll try make a closer match to the Flächtarn pattern for the rest of the troops. 

large.image1.jpeg.58a1ea755dd28b25662bc2    large.IMG_6412.JPG.300ebb342675982a99824

• Like 1

A thought on your grey dots..

Cut down an old brush until there is only one or two hairs then go over the dots with fine lines of the main colour?

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

A thought on your grey dots..

Cut down an old brush until there is only one or two hairs then go over the dots with fine lines the main colour?

Oooooooo good idea!!!!!! 

How about using a course sponge? That's a fairly well characterised method for doing chipping, so I can see it working on a small scale for patterning on uniforms.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2019 at 14:51, Drichc said:

How about using a course sponge? That's a fairly well characterised method for doing chipping, so I can see it working on a small scale for patterning on uniforms.

Now that i didn't think of!! Good shout