A QUINTET OF TAMIYA BIKES - REBUILDING THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Afternoon Everyone :) 

You know, every now and again you get one of those kits that just absolutely sucks the mojo out of you....... Well this little Suzuki proved to be one of those, mainly because of all the crap with the paint.

So, I've decided to just finish it quickly and get it on the shelf, otherwise, it will become a wall ornament...

To close it down them in 60 seconds or less then.... :) 

Front end goes on...

The forks were stripped, top half painted Sparkling Silver, bottom half Gloss Aluminium. The Brake furniture is painted Titanium Gold. 

20201219_155453.thumb.jpg.8a3f953a684004124c252e1885eccc0f.jpg

Rewinding a day or two, (sorry)....

The Instrument panel. Painted Semi Gloss Black, Decals put on, and then the instrument bezels were filled with enamel clear. It looks like there is glass in the bezel, not just flat decal...

20201220_144648.thumb.jpg.afefd0fdad6e0a0ecb60c1de4ed1b36a.jpg

It was then basically just getting all the Bodywork on and making it look like a bike...

20201220_154019.thumb.jpg.e9c7f55ffe28fcabed631a34f335809a.jpg

20201220_154045.thumb.jpg.90171cd4a2b88d745f0c3ae74e2497bb.jpg

I wanted this finished so much I didn't even wait for the Kristal Kleer to dry before I took these two photo's. Its going into the cabinet and will stay there....

Oh well, onto the next one :) 

• Like 3

#5 - HONDA VF750F 

Lets start again on a clean slate :) 

The last of my quintet...

Whizz whizz whizz back into the good old days... I used to have 2 model shops within 5km of me. One was about 500m up the road in the shopping mall, and the other was about 4k's away, actually in the center of town (which is now a no go area..) The shop in town was excellent because they always had cheapies and specials going on, and when the owner got to know you, you got discounts and freebies. It really was an excellent shop.

So there I was one Saturday morning, Bored and decided to buy a kit (see, it started back then :)) I wanted to carry on with the 250's, but there weren't any in stock, and the owner came over and told me if I buy 3 bikes, I'll get the cheapest free... 

( now prior to this, I had been fawning over the Tamiya Catalogue and been looking at the racing bikes, and lo and behold, they had the two I was looking at)

so I bought the Honda Honda NS 500, A Suzuki RGB500, and this..

(obviously not this one, but the two racing bikes I still have, unbuilt... :)

20201220_155223.thumb.jpg.f60dc9852f09b3bf74879544fb8a99a4.jpg

I really liked the lines on this bike, but I ended up just painting it overall black and I loved it. Sat on my shelf for a good few years.

There's two versions of this bike, and they aren't easy to find and it was only late last year that one actually landed in my lap, and its an original 1984 issue. 

Ok then, some shots of the runners....

Bodywork

20201220_155105.thumb.jpg.5be3fb2fddadf76b4ded32bb8e5afab6.jpg

Frame

20201220_155116.thumb.jpg.e9c30c0bcf42648bab17b3a0c2392d7b.jpg

Engine and Auspuffs ( no shiny exhausts woohoo) 

20201220_155134.thumb.jpg.92e7a8cf37c0996e1ec9efb9b7ed11cb.jpg

and the hated shiny sprue...

But... It is one of the first attempts at a satin sheen chrome and its liveable with. The wheels will stay untouched, as well as the cylinder heads, but probably the rest will be stripped. 

20201220_155151.thumb.jpg.e62cf1787a2176698a88a0b89e2d3620.jpg

This kit has such a nice engine, I might chop the bottom off the fairing, lets see what happens.

The decals seem ok, they've been sealed in one of the bags, so they may be still work (we hope)...

Onwards then (and try really hard NOT to ***k this one up :)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Looks good but you can tell it's not up to your usual standard - although that instrument panel looks really good.

Yep, There were just issues after issues with the paint and decals so I just decided stuff it and just leave it. 

Sorry :( I promise I'll try harder next time... 

• Like 1

Are you going to do this one black again?

Is there a reason you can't just paint over the shiny shiny bits?

Just thinking back to my sprog days and I think that at one point there were four shops that had a decent range of kits within about a mile and a half of my house. Two of them were model shops and the other two were DIY shops.

Me seeing the pictures:  Oooh that looks good!
Gorby:  "Looks good but you can tell it's not up to your usual standard - although that instrument panel looks really good."
Mad Steve:  "Yep, There were just issues after issues with the paint and decals so I just decided stuff it and just leave it. "
Me:  Yeah it is a bit naff.  

xD
Oh dear.  Damn, Steve, I'd be happy to finish something let alone that well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Are you going to do this one black again?

Is there a reason you can't just paint over the shiny shiny bits?

Nope, I'm going to do the black and silver version on the box. 

I painted it black before because I didn't know how to do the masking properly with rattle cans... 

You can just paint over the shiny bits yes, but you run the risk of the paint peeling off when you handle it, so its easier to just strip it with bleach, just 5 minutes.

47 minutes ago, Walrus said:

xD
Oh dear.  Damn, Steve, I'd be happy to finish something let alone that well.

Thanks Paul :). its part of the quintet so I didn't want to just box it again 

• Like 2

Sooooooooooo.... I made a start on the Honda, painted up the engine and thought, lets be on the safe side and test out the decals that go on the engine and they failed spectacularly... i mean like squidze up and desolve spectacularly....

Kind of sucked the wind out of the old sails ☹

Im going to have a look through my decals to see if i can find Honda decals and badges at least, and the pin striping i can do with masking tape... but it may take time and at the mo, i dont wanna with this kit...

I do have another idea, however, i might just start a bit sooner than i thoughted 😬

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Sooooooooooo.... I made a start on the Honda, painted up the engine and thought, lets be on the safe side and test out the decals that go on the engine and they failed spectacularly... i mean like squidze up and desolve spectacularly....

Kind of sucked the wind out of the old sails ☹

Im going to have a look through my decals to see if i can find Honda decals and badges at least, and the pin striping i can do with masking tape... but it may take time and at the mo, i dont wanna with this kit...

I do have another idea, however, i might just start a bit sooner than i thoughted 😬

Africa twin? 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Im going to have a look through my decals to see if i can find Honda decals and badges at least, and the pin striping i can do with masking tape... but it may take time and at the mo, i dont wanna with this kit..

What about doing your own freaky custom paint job? Ignore the rules and give you imagination free reign (or take to Google to see what you fancy).

What about this one:

9807eb437c1fc927b9a9a119415d5a12.jpg

It looks a doddle. ;)

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Ok, why dont you build a car then, or a bike even.... 

Naaaa, too easy.

:evil:

Or you could convert it to an apocalypse hybrid:

apocalypse_motorbike_by_roadwarriorjohn_

Or you could do a stripdown. Erm... I mean the bike. :blushing:

00cff47e8e46112d8abdf5bbaa92209f.jpg

Or...

If you get the Africa Twin you could join the rest of the gang:

mini%20bikes-1500x844-640w.jpg

:evil:

Aren't you glad you've got friends like me that'll help out in times of need? :yes:

No need to thank me. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

I love these 1980’s bikes.

Thanks for mentioning my book on P3 in relation to the Yamaha FZ250 Phazer. This is my favourite bike of all-time due to the stunning integrated tank design and other advanced features.

As for the Honda VF750F, I chose to build the bikini fairing version because, as you mentioned, it would be such a shame to hide that V4 engine masterpiece. I went for the black, red, white colour scheme on that one. With a bit of care the undertray can be made to be removeable (only just) to display even more detail.

Z4tzlypc o

62w08ktp o

Yx7xvcwg o

• Like 4

Oh wow, thanks Keith😬👍

That Honda looks fantastic😬

I think ive finally secured some decals for it so i can actually finish it now. 

I do like the black/white/red with the, (is it titanium?) Gold wheels. 

So chuffed you made a comment, made my day  ( yeah i know im sad) 😬

You are most welcome Steve and well done regarding finding the decals. These kits or their parts are not easy to source these days and I don't think the VF750F has been re-issued for a while. Yes the wheels are finished with Tamiya titanium gold acrylic X-31 thinned and airbrushed to give a subtle effect. Initially I followed the kit instructions of Tamiya clear orange X-26 over the kit parts plated silver but it came out too garish for my liking. As for the disk brakes, I used Alclad chrome for the braking surfaces, although strictly speaking Alclad polished steel would probably be more accurate.

• Like 1

I think they were only re released, briefly, around 2000 ish and are very hard to come by now. 

Thanks for the wheel and brake info. Dont actually like using alclad, but polished steel does make more sense than metallic gray 😬👍