Invictaag

Blackburn Buccaneer S2B XV361

I was able to spend some time looking round this aircraft and taking some detailed photos which I hope will be of some use to anyone building the new Airfix 1/72 scale Buccaneer. This is the aircraft that Airfix used to produce their model kit and even though this aircraft is a former RAF S2B it started it's life with the FAA. I'll post all the photos in 3 batches. If anyone would like any more detailed photos let me know and I can visit the aircraft on any Saturday afternoon.

nt23k5X3G4O2u0B6_Ii7ieR3QvjYtDfrA81TLXba

Pvz-fwrcm1bZpkBZ3lWn7Hj7hWclHaj_Pv8muhft

udNc8b09XfCdpQV7bFJQ-ZjYgF7KRhJQD9F0mnGq

wTA9P8Fu7MqRJtPKpUVnw4upsArdPO1QTK104tEu

5H_IJyftHZjvPTKYj_277Fg-AjvGZh7y_rMbWO_c

MCI5cYkKHw4q6C0wkSVAPWzf5st7Pk_WbRCcxDZn

1zOH5MVwAdT_xTepEmXWLdWqWq7foElGkLrNVxhp

LNkjT9PRqNztD8JNxqepspxF59HZORwrTX9fysyX

XNbTB-u0iY8wr9qRUgVGdkU06jWBnULDCwc3BZb0

txKdxWcx-KYKKCfwUjIYoJZYUk1352fHBCBHkB5h

WQ-IplND7a-SGkzEHRrc01BEl6CpG5d4F8A_RSXD

mqO9mODvAasuiDUjRzqZoNZ5zkxGgIp4pEV-ehmL

8o4yPgh9Mbrw7zv3sGKhFpNqplKp_CYYuvn4GVAN

F8FDiKVqabu2PwVmA1Od2kQlm4Rm6AXOFuPT5HZ0

qixhIaDbtCCL1juq2DV2RxCXBc_taMk2gdN-Oe9U

• Like 2

Excellent timing!

These will be well used I'm sure.

I see now where Airfix got those obscure raised panels.

• Like 1

Brilliant pics. It shows the British aircraft industry at its best, if it and broke don't fix it, and who needs Cockpit ergonomics? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Brilliant pics. It shows the British aircraft industry at its best, if it and broke don't fix it, and who needs Cockpit ergonomics? 

Thanks Darren, This one of the reasons that I like aircraft from this era, they were flown by the pilots using "basic" instruments not like now a days were it seems to be all pushing buttons and flown by the computer. The one thing that has struck me standing next to this aircraft and the Phantom is how big they are, the Bucc is so much bigger than the Seahawk and Vampire it stands next to. It must have taken real flying skills to land one of these aircraft on a small Flight Deck on a ship moving about at sea, and real nerves to be a member of the Deck crew having one of these large aircraft landing next to you and you then having a few seconds to unhook it and move it before the next one hurtles in, all on an exposed, often windy Deck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Invictaag said:

It must have taken real flying skills to land one of these aircraft on a small Flight Deck on a ship moving about at sea,

Watched a documentary about the Buccaneer.  A former pilot mentioned how people make the assumption that landing on a moving ship is difficult and was very blaise about the feat! 
Not sure if he was being genuine or showboating.  
As a layman, I'm of the opinion that there's only one thing more difficult than carrier landings, and that is carrier landings at night! lol

Thanks for the walkaround pics! 

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 1

When I arrived at the UAS Hangers today the Buccaneer had it's wings folded up so I managed to get a few close up pictures of the wing fold parts.

HBjSLHTbOKBV0lmnpMHIkfOXJPE3fk0whfXCyKb-

lPgwDrDHCCeVDfNlASQEgF7ZHAwJn3dcFKb8_PGR

JJ6OY61Mv8eKS-xMD67gWUTDynbjUPlQwrt4-uEM

zTiVjIy2T6RW9WfzmQ9UQiApcjDVunK4slWoZJqI

LWUpMEiNvQlv3-QRpdgUMkiYlLPnnTLqAkk3jDlU

kmEsy-ELbBBgCmqymZw5zkX9fHk6v5XlOKfjM5JK

UE6DOcskX5ks3LBaj3reY2SDDdmZMCUroFIK2QsE

eDQaNzWaHNg0_D5tVchRGW8ObF8Eero9fA12bGun

Cheers Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Many thanks for the pictures Andy

Not sure I shall endeavour to recreate every detail, (as if I could! lol)  but what immediately strikes me is how some of the wiring and plumbing that crosses the divide would be well worth doing.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Invictaag said:

a few close up pictures of the wing fold parts.

They're great and just show how much stuff is in there.

Impossible to make this in 1/72 but when the inevitable new 1/48 one and the rumoured 1/32 and 1/24 ones arrive we have no excuse.

I agree with @Walrus though that some of the wiring needs to be there even in 1/72.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RWG686 said:

...........and the rumoured 1/32 and 1/24 ones arrive we have no excuse.

@RWG686 the 32nd Buccaneer is rumour no longer, has been available for a week or two now, you will need to contact Alan at Icelandic Fine Arts, email is:-               alanwilson042000@yahoo.co.uk

From what I've seen and read it's NOT a 'shake and bake' there ARE more than a few modelling skills required. Alan himself as said the cockpit is 'basic' i.e. no seat offset, and the cockpit / panels could be classed as 'workman like'. You can have either the 'flat' or the bulged bomb bay doors. You then have an aluminium re-enforced resin beast to play with, just think of the enjoyment when the snow really starts to come down....should keep you suitably engrossed for a few months, depending on the size of your spares box(es), Oh, and the number of boxes containing uisce beatha........Slàinte!! :wine:

Paul

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phoenix54 said:

You then have an aluminium re-enforced resin beast to play with,

I'll pass on that one Paul..too big.

Now did anybody mention a Scimitar F1 ? :smile: