Walrus

Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S2C Kit No. A06021

I don't claim to be very knowledgeable when it comes to the Buccaneer, and have no drawings to compare the parts to., and will leave it to others to discuss the finer points of accuracy.  
The opinions are therefore those of a middling model maker but I hope the following will still provide some insight as to the contents of the box.
So without any further drivel...

The kit comes with 5 sprues in the much loved soft grey plastic.  

Sprue A:
The largest sprue contains parts for the centre and rear sections of the  fuselage; the central section having a horizontal split, while the nose and tail sections are divided vertically.
This rather unusual breakdown suggests that other variants will become available, and one can hope that it means a S1 is in the offing, more of which anon.
On first inspection there is little to no flash on the parts.  Engraved surfaces will be too soft for some, though imho they are an improvement on the Phantom.

e5j6kwamdpyb6uw6g.jpg

The famous rotating bombay moulded integrally into the lower fuselage half is chock full of ejection pin marks! :P 
0ozypi31chnpgu96g.jpg 

The lower wing is in full span (minus wing tips) whereas the upper centre section wings are truncated at the wing fold.
Thus one will need to cut the lower wing to display with the wings folded. 

90905clodrd4vhn6g.jpg

Sprue B

A miscellany of nose section,  air brake with options for open or closed, and exhaust parts make up the bulk of the contents.
Note that there are two pairs of "A" Frame inner supports required for the option of lowered wings.
Another hint of a later S1, which has triangular air intakes at the leading edge wing root.  
w1m2ud1ujefoikj6g.jpg

Sidewall detailing will suffice for most modellers and no doubt the resin sets will be forthcoming for the super detailers
The open air brakes look more than adequate 

38tagqrtkl2sbg46g.jpg

icy7iroe3q2elhb6g.jpg

Sprue C

Lower outer wing sections are provided for the wings folded option 
The cockpit tub smooth, details are provided as 12 separate decals for the interior including the instrument panels 
The nose wheel bay will be adequate for many modellers as it won't be seen once the kit is built.  .
Though I'm not too excited by the main legs having two halves
kagn3eajekvb1tq6g.jpg

Sprue D

The fiddly bits 
Overall the details look promising, the wheels from what I can tell look good, though the ejection seat is a tad basic, but will be more than acceptable if the pilots are used.
Pull chords and strapping will need to be added at minimum, though the sides which won't be seen are quite well done.  
While the crew provide are the usual sitting on a bus/underground pose, the helmet and flying suit is of the period .   

6wj9mmpj62z46w46g.jpg

p7tvf6hpo5jpbjd6g.jpg

Sprue E[/]

Load out and bomb bay door.
Underwing stores comprise of a pair of Royal Navy (3 row) SNEBS, a pair of 1000lb bombs and slipper tanks
I find this a little disappointing given that if one wishes to display the bomb bay open (out of the box) it will be open.
But then who doesn't like potential spares to sit unused in a plastic tub for ever and a day?

g3piee07apegl2b6g.jpg

Clear Sprue F

The clear parts are generally well done, though mine had a bit of scuffing on the top of the rear section, which may need polishing out.
I'm not too keen on the clear part wing tips.  But here for me is the biggest indication that there will be an S1 in the future.

Two sets of wing tips are provided the larger triangular pair for the current S2 series and the narrower pair for the S1 Buccaneers.

cyabpj49poe18sv6g.jpg

Decals and marking options
You can have any colour you like so long as it's overall Extra Dark Sea Grey!
Two options, one from 809 NAS, HMS Ark Royal 1972, and 800 NAS, HMS Eagle, 1971

The decals are typical for modern Airfix well printed by  Cartograf

lsdnal9euzc6zje6g.jpg

geb2l34xg9cq7s36g.jpg

Instructions
Typical Airfix A4 instruction booklet with 84 stages and pilot with spectacles. 

qqcptrjd1r3a3de6g.jpg

7lf63uuxb6ihu9w6g.jpg

lo2jwrdg9yxeq566g.jpg

lo2jwrdg9yxeq566g.jpg

3awq3t35wlj1bpf6g.jpg

2cndi255dvwopo46g.jpg

neizkieewdumgzx6g.jpg

dtr3kiio9cx7gmm6g.jpg

n1tppprre68bf216g.jpg

Summary

Overall it's good to see a new tool Buccaneer that will no doubt prove popular with fans the FAA and of British Cold War aviation in general.
Despite the quibbles mentioned above I'm looking forward to building the kit 
There would appear to be the basis for a good representation of the aircraft built straight out of the box, and there will no doubt be many a photo etch and resin set to be spawned by the aftermarket industry for those who would have their kits bursting with detailed goodness.

Hope the review has been of interest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul, generally it looks like a continuation of modern airfix which may be good, the panel lines look better than the phantom and it looks a nice kit. No doubt people elsewhere will find problems but to me it looks good 

• Like 2

Nice review Paul. This is on my Christmas pressie list. Below is the page from the Ulster Aviation Society's Buccaneer which was used to produce this kit, and a short video of it being flown from Aldergrove to the society's previous home at Langford lodge, a former RAF airbase a couple of miles from Aldergrove.

https://www.ulsteraviationsociety.org/blackburn-buccaneer-s2b

Cheers Andy

• Like 3

I'm chuffed that they brought out the one in proper colours first :biggrin:

Looks like they have done their research.

I like the short pylons and the early style homing pods on the wing.

The tailplane is clever in that later style fore and aft bulges and fin top are simple to fit.

The ejector seats look like the earlier Mk4s (not too sure on that point though) Mk 6s fitted later.

It looks like they have done the bulge between the intake and the fuselage.

This wasn't fitted at first but was added to reduce noise in the observer's cockpit.

They've got the extra warning triangle for the underwater ejection system too. This compressed air system.was done away with when the Mk 6 seat was fitted as it had rockets which would work underwater.

Thanks @Walrus for taking the time to review this long awaited kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

Looks like they have done their research.

I've just noticed the following at the bottom of the instructions:
"Airfix would like to thank the Ulster Aviation Society, (cf Andy's video above) in particular Tony Osborne, as well as Andy White for their help with this project.

Andy White had a really wonderful Buccaneer research web site which has sadly gone.
I tried resurrecting it via the archival site "Wayback Machine" to no avail.  Only a few of the pages had been snapshot 😢 

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

The tailplane is clever in that later style fore and aft bulges and fin top are simple to fit.

I'm hoping that is another indication we will be getting a S1 at some point.

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

It looks like they have done the bulge between the intake and the fuselage.

There is indeed a bulge   

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

The ejector seats look like the earlier Mk4s (not too sure on that point though) Mk 6s fitted later.

The seats provided look to be this version with the "Barman mask ears" for lack of a technical term, noted in the pic as a Mk6
The ears would be 3" thick and therefore overscale, which is understandable.  I think I'm prepared to live with it 

blackburn-buccaneer-type-6msb-ejection-s

Thanks for the info Richard.  
Please be prepared for constant harrying for more as I start a WIP thread! 
ps It's quite right and proper that the Senior Service get first dibs! lol

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 1

On 28/09/2019 at 13:40, Grunhertz said:

Thanks Paul, generally it looks like a continuation of modern airfix which may be good, the panel lines look better than the phantom and it looks a nice kit. No doubt people elsewhere will find problems but to me it looks good 

I think it looks like a step forward from the Phantom.   I still get the feeling that the Phantom kit development was started a while ago and for whatever reason was delayed until Airfix had being making some good progress.  

I think I will be starting a WIP thread soon.  Some dry fitting shows some clever and idiot proof assembly of a complex structure of the intakes, engine pipes and exhaust, which also interact with the wheel wells.  

t9bkknaugfqe9tw6g.jpg

The fit isn't tight so it isn't like some of the "snap fit" type kits but given that the above parts haven't been cleaned up after cutting from the sprue or had tape to hold them together I hoping it bodes well for trouble free construction.
The upper section closes without any problem. 

9t4bp253tprh2fo6g.jpg

iu98xihw3f49t1l6g.jpg

r3oeqwdvnsqm10z6g.jpg

Looking forward to making a start though apprehensive of the joint of nose section to the centre fuselage 
While this apparently follows the actual construction of the real aircraft looks a tad insubstantial 

I would normally attach the nose sides to the fuselage before inserting the cockpit, but the breakdown seems to preclude this.  
I may therefore skip the ubiquitous "starting with the cockpit" and build up the midsection first, then see what is best from there.

Edit:  It looks like the assembled nose section as per instructions is definitely the way to go.
Will be made clear in the WIP 

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 3

On 28/09/2019 at 15:21, Paul Brown said:

Thanks for posting, you've probably convinced me to get one. ;) 

Disclaimer:  I take no responsibility for the purchase or purchases of stash fodder and any ensuing financial outgoings. xD

Thanks for the links Paul.  

On 28/09/2019 at 21:16, Invictaag said:

and a short video of it being flown from Aldergrove to the society's previous home at Langford lodge, a former RAF airbase a couple of miles from Aldergrove.

Thanks Andy. lovely little short of the almost literal "hop" to the new home!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Walrus said:

I'm hoping that is another indication we will be getting a S1 at some point.

I think more likely to make the addition of the later RAF style bullets.

23 hours ago, RWG686 said:

The seats provided look to be this version with the "Barman mask ears" for lack of a technical term, noted in the pic as a Mk6

That's the later seat which according to this site was only fitted to RAF ones.       I think that is wrong but will check and get back.

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/seat-type.html

Please be prepared for constant harrying for more as I start a WIP thread! 

No problem. If I don't have the info my mate Mike is a Buccaneer guru.

I'll do some research and if the results warrant it,I'll put up a Buccaneer S2 post where people can add info or ask questions of the forum members, so we have a one stop shop.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

That's the later seat which according to this site was only fitted to RAF ones.       I think that is wrong but will check and get back.

It might apply to S1s but there are pictures of S2 RN Buccaneers with the seat in the image I posted 

The dataplate on this seat still lists the seat as a Mk. 4, but the seat has been upgraded with the underseat rocket to bring it up to Mk. 6 specs.  

bucseat.gif

Link to source

Of course nothing is ever straightforward!
Also
The page for the Mk6 says that
This seat is a rear seat, which is clear due to the straight sides of the seat pan as well as the label on the headrest.

The Airfix rear seat has played sides and the front seat sides are straight

I'm going to go with a Mk6 seat being correct for 1972 
If I'm wrong I'll buy an aftermarket set! and have keep the my modified kit seats for another time. lol

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 1

Seeing as Airfix used XV361, an S2B, to create this model kit it's stands to reason that they used the Seats from that aircraft as well. I am going to join the UAS and volunteer to help restore their aircraft so I might be able to get a few more detailed photos.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Walrus said:

I'm going to go with a Mk6 seat being correct for 1972 

By that time they had the Mk 6.

It might apply to S1s but there are pictures of S2 RN Buccaneers with the seat in the image I posted 

That's correct.

All S1s had the Mk 4 seat.

S2s also had that seat but were re-fitted later.

If the S2 has 3 warning triangles  (on port side only) it probably has the Mk4 fitted but it has been upgraded with the underwater escape system.

This became redundant with the advent of the rocket assisted Mk6.

In 1/72 scale who will notice anyway :whistle:

I'll get stuck into doing a one stop thread later.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 1

Looked a bit more closely at your photos and now add:

The kit is for an S2C which was not equipped for Martel missile. 

If doing a Martel one you need the later pylons and they are spaced differently

The contract for thirty Buccaneers (started with XT269 ) was modified so that 15 aircraft were built from new with the Martel capability. I presume that it was the last 15 of this batch . Many earlier aircraft were converted and the S2c  (non Martel) and S2d (Martel capable) came into being. Again for accuracy check yur subject.

The wing mounted pods are for the later AR18126 as they are not bullet shaped like the earlier ones.

The airbrakes have the external stiffening post mod 1044. Not sure of a date for that.

The design of the tailplane attachment means that it is fixed in a horizontal position. They were quite often drooped.

Contrary to some reports elsewhere the last two of the code repeated on white rectangles in the airbrakes for the 809 example are correct. Diamond shape was common earlier.

The nose looks like they've captured the subtle contours well.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else got dodgy printed instructions? Mine look like the line drawing and shaded areas are off centre from each other. Still doesn't stop a build though.

19 minutes ago, phoenix54 said:

the instructions seem to all be there. 

Which is more than I can say about myself!  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, skwonk said:

Anyone else got dodgy printed instructions?

I would really like to answer this but as I still haven't got one....:crybaby:

• Sad 1

On 01/10/2019 at 19:38, RWG686 said:

The wing mounted pods are for the later AR18126 as they are not bullet shaped like the earlier ones.

Hi Richard
Thanks again for the info.
I'm not familiar with the above reference to AR18126 and Google was of no use whatsoever.
Would you mind translating the above for the idiot layman please?

Is it a type of rocket pod? 

Would you mind translating the above for the idiot layman please?

Ok..from one "idiot layman" to another :biggrin:

ARI 18154 etc is the MoD  designation for the piece of equipment.

The pods on the leading edge of the wing contained passive warning systems.

Initially it was an ARI 18154 which operated in the 'S' band range of wiggly amps / electromagnetic thingamyjigs.  This was the one with the bullet shape.

Updated later with ARI 18126 which covered both 'S' and 'X' bands. This is the one where the tip tapers. (as in kit I think.) (no idea why the later one has an earlier number so don't ask)

System was done away with when the fin bullets were modified as they gave a better angle of cover.

The pods were reintroduced later in RAF service but contained Sky Guardian 2000 radar warning receivers.

Royal Navy aircraft flew occasionally without them fitted.

I

• Thanks 1

Aha!  The penny drops.  You may have heard the clunk! 

Well spotted Richard.  The pods supplied are stepped rather than bullet fairing as per this pic from Thunder & Lightning
xv350-eastmidlands-110712.jpg

Rather than the simple bullet shape in this pic (source: FalkeEins)

1F4Bucc.jpg

Edited by Walrus

Just noticed that they give the two types of British slipper tank.

My model is in Glasgow :thumbup:

Can't escape tomorrow so have to wait until Saturday or Sunday.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Just noticed that they give the two types of British slipper tank.

The tanks are comprised of 3 parts Richard and only one pair are included as far as I can see 
(Steps 74 and 75 in the instructions)