RWG686

An Israeli Comet.

Did that get your attention?

Unfortunately I will not be building DH's finest but a Grumman G-550 Shavit ( Hebrew for Comet ) using this kit

resized_1397fea3-d930-4a01-bb7e-2d0e9c73

I gave a brief review of the kit here:

In keeping with my rule of building only stuff I've seen I'll be building this one.

Du2jH_QXgAAcHiD.jpg

I've had to use an on-line photo as I was unable to take photos at the place I saw it.

For once I won't need to source transfers as that is the one that comes in the box.

I found that doing the Bell 212 Wip gave me the boot up the backside that I needed to restore the mojo and having done that I thought a nice quick simple out of the box (almost) build.

Did I say simple?

Note the 'only 550pcs' proudly displayed on the box lid.

Every single one of them will need cleaning up or repairs to flaws.

The worst is a crack on either side of the centre fuselage at the wing fairing leading edge. I've highlighted it in pencil. The one on the other side is slightly smaller.

c8b063cc-ef40-4d10-a1c1-66e95e3a7dac.jpg

The kits looks as if the moulds have leaked as the residue on the edges is a bit thicker than normal flash but nothing as bad as the A-Model of old thankfully.

A-model would have you assemble the fuselage in three parts then join them

c50a2dde-3126-408c-a3f5-add420a90317.jpg

It is a long beastie.

b62f8eda-4e05-4fcd-84f8-03e9de0561ba.jpg

450 mm (17.7")

As there are no locating pins I can see trying to butt join them could be problematic .The fit surprisingly isn't too bad with the rear lower fuselage being the only bit that may need some force. The pencilled area is lower.

resized_522acfae-e798-41a3-a335-335958b6

My worktop is the glass from an old hob so is flat. My plan will be to join the three parts on both sides,making sure they are in line, then join the resulting two pieces.

I will make bulkheads using the cockpit one as a template.

Two of them will be quite thick and will go where the sections join.

The others will be spaced along the inside to keep the shape.

That's the plan at the moment.

I hope that you've managed to stay awake so far so,until next time..

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

Hmmm interesting. So if it breaks down and you can't push it do you have to shavit? 

No, you shavit after you leave it out in the damp and mould starts growing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Note the 'only 550pcs' proudly displayed on the box lid.

I could be wrong, but I think it's Amodel that used the 'Only 550pcs' to state how many kits they've produced for that particular model rather than the parts in the box.

12 hours ago, RWG686 said:

In keeping with my rule of building only stuff I've seen I'll be building this one.

But judging from the photos you've shown us, you've seen EVERYTHING that flies!

I'm looking forward to when you do this one:

More_otho_flying.JPG

The memories it must bring back to you….

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:
14 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I could be wrong, but I think it's Amodel that used the 'Only 550pcs' to state how many kits they've produced for that particular model rather than the parts in the box.

You know I never gave that a thought. It suited my narrative though!   Sound familiar..why let the truth spoil a true story.

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

you've seen EVERYTHING that flies!

I've lost count of the types I've seen but have yet to see an F-35 ,B-2 and Shorts SC1 which I can see without leaving the UK.

Never been to USA or Canada and unlikely to do so,so quite a lot of types there.

Only saw some Badgers and Il-76s in China . Hope to go  back there if only to get to Datangshan.

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

I'm looking forward to when you do this one:

Sorry forgot about that one. I've seen the replica in Glasgow

IMG_6467.jpg

Perhaps a project after the Denny Helicopter. (for which I will break my rule as I've not seen it)

• Haha 1

Swiftly bringing this back on track....

I mentioned sink marks and surface damage due to the bits rattling about 

resized_6ff789db-d555-408d-98d5-4fa6e704

Nothing major but a PE  (see modelling definition thread) with the extra work.

Thinking about the fuselage.

I made some discs out of 30 thou plastic card.

e79501d0-3f87-4a26-b950-82da02ca1866.jpg

3 of them stuck together X 2 to give me plugs and one left as a bulkhead. I don't think I'll need more.

0c59507e-e2e2-481f-a60a-c0dbb996a4db.jpg

I may yet go down the way A-Model suggest in joining the fuselage but at moment can't decide.

An obvious bit missing from the kit

758684ab-17af-4a47-a751-ca85aa41f284.jpg

The joys of trying to reproduce 27 vortex generators on each tailplane lie in the future.

Here are the engines on the real machine.

3e8c8eff-7c98-453d-abd7-d001f1c756dd.jpg

Here are the engines as given in the kit.

57ca5110-7186-4979-85ce-e9236d38f01f.jpg

Both engines rotate the same way.

The kit has them handed.

The exhaust end I simply swap sides but the front end is very visible.

Easy way out..fit the intake blank.   No chance (says he at moment)

48 new blades coming to a build near you..perhaps.

The start of the cockpit assembly is shown above. I reasoned that there would be a door to the flight deck rather than a big hole so I made one whilst I was mucking about with plastic card. The wee blob of card is an added support for the nosewheel bay which is attached only to the bulkhead before insertion into the fuselage and is a weak point      and knowing me.I'd probably knock it off and feed the monster.

I found a decent 'walkaround' here:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/isaac_gershman2/gulfstream_v_nahshon-shavit/index.php?Page=4

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

Both engines rotate the same way.

The kit has them handed.

I may be able to help you out there. If my experiment with casting resin works, I'll do one for you if you chuck the part over the wall. I haven't been able to test the resin yet because it's taking an eternity to arrive.

• Thanks 1

The kit windows are not the best and fortunately there are only 2 on each side of the fuselage. I don't envy @Jessie_C when she does a Gulfstream V !

Windows fit not the best so they are stuck in and left sticking out a bit.

f24d9b6e-3907-47a1-8ec8-6b33d85f026f.jpg

They were sanded and polished which may seem like a waste of time as the blinds are drawn but they are flush with the fuselage.

First round of polishing

0b06ee3b-7a77-4d7e-8089-5bcfc7738ee8.jpg

Not surprisingly,interior details of the aircraft are few and far between. Add the fact that not a lot will be seen anyway.

I made a new instrument panel with raised detail rather than just flat with a decal. It doesn't show!

I reckoned that the military aircraft would have a bit more stuff than a corporate one so came up with this. Probably totally inaccurate but once inside will look sufficiently busy.

86b72370-fec1-4cb9-8386-aa170fcb126f.jpg

Since taking that I have removed the rudder pedals and will add them further back.

Control columns and seats still to do.

• Like 1

Ah, but you recon without my patented window trick.

1: Stick a length of clear packing tape on the outside of the window row, making absolutely certain to smooth out any possibility of wrinkles;

2: Build a 'dam' area round the inside of the row of windows;

3: Gently pour clear casting resin into the 'dam' area to make certain no bubbles form;

4: Let dry, peel off the tape and Voila! Magical clear windows flush with the fuselage sides.

Perhaps I should have mentioned this before it was too late?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

Too much effort for 4 windows in this case .

@Che Guava probably has more use of this technique.   (Don't ask him about the broken E-3 Sentry I gave him to convert into a 707 :evil:)

PM inbound.

3 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

Ah, but you recon without my patented window trick.

1: Stick a length of clear packing tape on the outside of the window row, making absolutely certain to smooth out any possibility of wrinkles;

2: Build a 'dam' area round the inside of the row of windows;

3: Gently pour clear casting resin into the 'dam' area to make certain no bubbles form;

4: Let dry, peel off the tape and Voila! Magical clear windows flush with the fuselage sides.

Did this on a Heron 45ish years ago. The heat from the curing resin melted the plastic around the windows a bit. Modern thin-wall moulded polystyrene might be a bit tricky - I sure wouldn't use it on a vacform!

Did I ever tell you how much I detest filling and sanding?

b9961cf9-ad4f-4c6c-99f0-101f0c6654ac.jpg

c24c078a-8337-4338-a780-3732494bc200.jpg

and that's before I join the nose section which has an even worse join.

That lot all sanded and more filler now drying.

I had hoped to avoid most of that because of the radome on the underside and the strake along the top but in my example there appears to be a defect where the plastic has sunk into a 'U' shape where there should be a straight join.

Even allowing for the problem being between the seat and the end of the glue brush it is still one hell of a trench.

I've got the nose clamped and drying.

There was no mention of nose weight so I used some of this

resized_5689e2e9-6501-46dd-ad47-bd42e60d

My version of Liquid Gravity.

@Miggers will recognise the source.

The pot is about the size of a 500g coffee jar so I don't think I'll run out anytime soon.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Did I ever tell you how much I detest filling and sanding?

b9961cf9-ad4f-4c6c-99f0-101f0c6654ac.jpg

c24c078a-8337-4338-a780-3732494bc200.jpg

and that's before I join the nose section which has an even worse join.

That lot all sanded and more filler now drying.

I had hoped to avoid most of that because of the radome on the underside and the strake along the top but in my example there appears to be a defect where the plastic has sunk into a 'U' shape where there should be a straight join.

Even allowing for the problem being between the seat and the end of the glue brush it is still one hell of a trench.

I've got the nose clamped and drying.

There was no mention of nose weight so I used some of this

resized_5689e2e9-6501-46dd-ad47-bd42e60d

My version of Liquid Gravity.

@Miggers will recognise the source.

The pot is about the size of a 500g coffee jar so I don't think I'll run out anytime soon.

Yep.

Dunno how much Wicklid Gwavity is to buy by the jar full,but a box of 25 24 grm 7.5's (clay cartridges)is about £5.50p

from our local.

Persuade your friendly neighbourhood shotgunner  to go buy you a box(you need to show your SGC to make a purchase),

wheedle the crimped ends open and you should get about 400 "shot" per shell(lotsa shot there eh)

Give your still friendly neighbourhood shotgunner the brass "bangy" bits that are left to get rid of for you

(he might even let you pull the trigger if you're good boy or girl).

• Like 1

Mine came from a bag of cartridges handed in to my office about 25 years ago to dispose of.

The cartridges were duly disposed of :biggrin:

5 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

Mine came from a bag of cartridges handed in to my office about 25 years ago to dispose of.

The cartridges were duly disposed of :biggrin:

Aye.

I should have mentioned "for the natives"that box of 25 should give you enough shot to last a good few years.

• Like 1

Did I mention filling and sanding ?

Second lot rubbed down and left with this

c75bb2e0-f501-4c63-a495-45827fdf4459.jpg

There is a strake which runs along the top of the fuselage almost as far along as the front cabin window. Unfortunately it is quite thin and the gap quite wide.

Out with the superglue and a strip poured along the top and zapped with that zapping stuff.

Couldn't face any more sanding so left it. (no doubt curse it tomorrow when it will be like a rock) so on to the nose.

Oh yes ..the nose

e7797cfd-8edb-4661-a225-18abc7548725.jpg

18ed7623-7c15-4a71-b0a4-f45dcff376a4.jpg

I had sanded down the bulkhead and side consoles as far as I could so I took some plastic off the sides and it still doesn't fit!

I placed it against the rear fuselage and found that no matter what I did I couldn't get it to align.

The problem was partly my bulkhead which was to assist joining so out it came.

Join the top and the sides are out by miles and no amount of squeezing would get it right so joined at the sides as the misalignment top and bottom was less.

It is however quite substantial as this picture with steel rules as straight edges shows.

c5efb16d-c1b3-45cc-93b9-04a65cdebc00.jpg

Fortunately the plastic is quite thick so a sanding session followed by the joys of filling tomorrow.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow!!!! May want to buy a tub of P38 body filler for this one, good luck and you will get there. Keep going Richard it'll be OK in the end 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 10:11 AM, RWG686 said:

I've lost count of the types I've seen but have yet to see a B-2

You really need to try to see one, they are like nothing else you've seen. Saw one at one of the Mildenhall shows, it's first appearance in the UK, just did fly bys, came in with 2 F-15's flying shotgun. It really is unique, wouldn't be out of place in Star Wars especially when viewed from 90 degrees to the direction of flight. Just a little bit spooky. Flew in from the States, flew around a bit then flew back to the States, pretty impressive.

Edited by DC3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

So far it's an entirely typical Amodel building experience.

The only one I have started is their An-22. That was in 2005. I keep taking it out of the box,sand a bit then put it back.

I won't get away with doing that with this one,not with you lot as an audience :biggrin:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RWG686 said:

The only one I have started is their An-22. That was in 2005. I keep taking it out of the box,sand a bit then put it back.

I won't get away with doing that with this one,not with you lot as an audience :biggrin:

Its called motivation I believe 

• Haha 2

Did I happen to mention how much I hate sanding?

A guilt trip (or as you call it motivation) had me up in the loft sanding furiously..perhaps too much of the furious bit as the nose fell off,landed on the floor and I was left with this

resized_0b7de3e6-3d89-4d18-9b39-59e8431b

so..

1. Anyone else building make sure you add tabs to reinforce the join. I didn't after I took out the bulkhead which I thought was causing distortion.

2. What the hell kind of plastic are they using? I was using Liquid Weld glue which normally sets like concrete. At least it broke on a join line.

3. The bright side? It could have come off after I had painted it.

After that happened, I said words to the effect of "Oh dear,that is a bit troublesome. I'll need to pop down to Prestwick now for some therapy"

I'll post the therapy results in the photographic section.

• Sad 1