beowulf

RAF Daguerre

had a bit of fun on the inside which is never going to get seen again once the roof is on lol

made some bits and bobs, added some maps and posters and stuff.........added a couple of figures in the crew room, and Wing Co Rupert Fortesque-Smythe with his Lumpy in the other

z4dscf11.jpg

z1_311.jpg

and just like that.....all gone with the roof on......

ive used E-Z line for the railings.......added the notoriously missing hand rail on the steps

plan is to do another vehicle then a couple of aircraft

ea_110.jpg

eb_310.jpg

ed_310.jpg

and one for scale.....and im happy you can see Rupert looking out of the window

eg_110.jpg

Edited by beowulf
  • Like 2

It looks good so far. I'm trying to remember if I had one of these when I was a lad. It does seem vaguely familiar. 

need to put something wingy with it and as its Battle of Britain season why not one of these....

'you can teach monkeys to fly better than that!'

spitfi11.jpg

dscf9510.jpg

dscf9511.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

yeah with those panel lines keep filling and sanding lol they look scale finger thickness 

So that's where the famous 'Mad Trencher" went after he left Matchbox!

On 23/07/2020 at 19:04, beowulf said:

remembering why i dont build aircraft

too many seams to fill and sand!

dscf9512.jpg

Once you've got the upper wing panels on and set up,get a wettish blob of Milliput and go over all the surface with it to fill up those panel lines.

Clean it out of the cockpit door,the cowling panel lines,the gun access panels(four above and below each wing),the hood slide tracks and the fuselage access panels those being the control run and ballast on the stb'd and the radio access panel just aft of the cockpit on the port fuselage side.

Also,try not to go bonkers with the pre-shadery,the panels were lap or butt-jointed plus the things didn't last long in combat to get too filthy,oil stains from the lower cowling around the carb intake usually were pretty grubby,wartime Merlins leaked well and only had(as did the rest of the airframe)an expected "combat life" of 25 hours!!!!.

"Your" Spit:

dw0-jpg.146889

Awaiting the "Bell" at Hawkinge:

be55b8bf2806eb6c81db86f4430277c1.jpg

I suppose(judging from the name of the Wingco loafing up in the tower)the pilot in your's case

will be Sqn Ldr I.A.M Fuller-Shyte,DFC,DSO and Mars Bar.....:piliot:

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

well......its on hold to the time being......considering its 'new tool' its not the best of kits.....people have told me of its faults and i have found all of them!......nothing joins together nicely cos the locating pins are too big for the holes (simple fix to just cut the off but this sort of fault shouldnt exist) and the canopy/screen fit is awful! been carving at it to reprofile it but still not happy......ive actually ordered a replacement so waiting for that before progressing

11 hours ago, beowulf said:

...nothing joins together nicely cos the locating pins are too big for the holes (simple fix to just cut the off but this sort of fault shouldnt exist) and the canopy/screen fit is awful! been carving at it to reprofile it but still not happy...

When I built one of these I had an issue with the instrument panel that was too wide to allow the fuselage to close up and getting the dihedral correct when fitting the wings. The canopy was a good snug fit on a dry run, but a coat of paint threw everything out. I used a lot of Mr Surfacer 500 to mitigate against the panel lines. I think the problem with this and other Airfix products like it are that they have no engineering tolerance, they are probably 'perfect fit' on the CAD model. Great in theory, but not in the real world. There's still room for a definitive Mk I/II (it will be interesting to see how the V turns out) in 1/72, the Tamiya is apparently a wonderful thing, but it has shape errors that once seen can't be unseen. Eduard to the rescue somewhere down the line?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

When I built one of these I had an issue with the instrument panel that was too wide to allow the fuselage to close up 

oh yeah.....had that too......had to shave some off to get everything to mate up

so since the spit is on the back burner, and elsewhere ive been roped into a BoB GB id thought id start this

1_110.jpg

On 28/07/2020 at 10:52, Paul Brown said:

When I built one of these I had an issue with the instrument panel that was too wide to allow the fuselage to close up and getting the dihedral correct when fitting the wings. The canopy was a good snug fit on a dry run, but a coat of paint threw everything out. I used a lot of Mr Surfacer 500 to mitigate against the panel lines. I think the problem with this and other Airfix products like it are that they have no engineering tolerance, they are probably 'perfect fit' on the CAD model. Great in theory, but not in the real world. There's still room for a definitive Mk I/II (it will be interesting to see how the V turns out) in 1/72, the Tamiya is apparently a wonderful thing, but it has shape errors that once seen can't be unseen. Eduard to the rescue somewhere down the line?

Quite so,the Tam one is no where near as accurate as the old 70's Mk1 Airfix Spit.

That's odd.  I don't remember having any issues with the IP  
But then the trick with Airfix is to dry fit and then dry fit again 

Sorry to keep saying it but the mating edge of a lot of parts is not flush but has a "P" shaped edge.  
I could have used a "d" or a "b" but pee was more apropos 

Edited by Walrus
  • Haha 1

A lot of the p shape is down to the softness of the plastic allied to a theory that the factory in India has cut cooling times to the bone 

• Like 1

It's worth spending some time deburring the parts in Airfix kits. You could argue that it shouldn't be necessary and I might agree, but it is what it is. There's no doubt in my mind that issues arising with Airfix products are down to production engineering (or lack of). 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 22:10, Grunhertz said:

A lot of the p shape is down to the softness of the plastic allied to a theory that the factory in India has cut cooling times to the bone 

Ahh, shades of the 48th BANA bomber and Trun!