Sign in to follow this  
beowulf

RAF Daguerre

This is going to take some explaining

This is something ive sort of been planning in my head for quite some time….i want to get back into building aircraft, specifically RAF stuff, and ive been thinking about how to photograph them once built and ive come up with this little long term project….my own little RAF station

This will probably take me around a year to do, its going to be something to do in between GBs or other bigger projects, ive been acquiring bits and bobs for quite a while and I think its time to start

Plan is to make a photo base that aircraft can be placed on, where I have a selection of vehicles that I can swop about

I must point out this is NOT really a diorama…..its a photobase……im using a base made by Coastal Kits especially for the Airfix Control Tower, which I might have a go at ‘improving’ the interior…been in the one at Elvington which was interesting……ive been trying to create a back drop…..been downloading ones meant for the model railway set ups and modifying them…..we shall see if it works sometime down the line lol

Why RAF Daguerre?.........well, Louis Daguerre  was a 19th century French artist who is credited with coming up with the word ‘diorama’ ……he also was an early photographer, inventing the Deguerrotype process…..so it seemed kind of suitable

The AEC Matador will get the howitzer discarded obviously, the hasegawa kit has all sorts of useful stuff like oil drums and sand bags

a10.jpg

b10.jpg

da_110.jpg

da_210.jpg

bofors10.jpg

db10.jpg

c10.jpg

Edited by beowulf
  • Like 4

Very interesting project, but there may be a problem….

I did a similar thing (although in 1/48) in order to photograph any RAF builds – and then didn't build another RAF aircraft.

Then I built a Luftwaffe dio to use for photography purposes, because I'm always building Luft stuff – then didn't build another Luftwaffe aircraft.

It's a jinx I tell you! :sad:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Miggers said:

What period are you depicting?,the Bedford tanker is post war fit,so is the fire engine. 

lol, its near enough for me, like i said, its not a dio, just a photobase. 99.9% of people wouldnt know that they are slightly out of time...i didnt lol

Edited by beowulf

27 minutes ago, beowulf said:

lol, its near enough for me, like i said, its not a dio, just a photobase. 99.9% of people wouldnt know that they are slightly out of time...i didnt lol

They're easy modded

,just leave the booms off the Bedford then paint it in "Mickey Mouse"and put a flat deck on the fire engine with a CO2 bottle load and paint in "Mickey Mouse "

6 hours ago, beowulf said:

Good answer.

• Like 2

The anarchic character of this site is well reflected in the equally individualistic nature of it's members. I'm pretty sure there are modellers on here build their models the way they want to, without waffling or worrying about the n'th degree of accuracy, or fitting every bit of nano brass they can whilst disregarding all the latest hippest finishing techniques. Aren't modellers brilliant.

• Like 3

f7fbb508-f522-4975-9f2b-3290b4247fe3.jpe

I’m more builder than historian, I don’t know much about accuracy but from what I can see your Matador certainly looks good to go 👍🏼

Regards

Paul

• Like 2

On 21/09/2019 at 19:16, beowulf said:

first thing to do is one of these......plan to do it deployed ready for action like on the box

dscf7110.jpg

dscf7111.jpg

It's a great kit. 

On 16/09/2019 at 21:45, Toolmaker said:

f7fbb508-f522-4975-9f2b-3290b4247fe3.jpe

I’m more builder than historian, I don’t know much about accuracy but from what I can see your Matador certainly looks good to go 👍🏼

Regards

Paul

The Matador is good to go.  If you want a post war fit,scratch up a similar boom mount and pipework  fit to the Bedford and do it in RAF  blue grey with the yellow uppers.

Edited by Miggers

got this far but im going to put it back in the box for a week or so cos im about to start a different project for a GB elsewhere

28-9_110.jpg

• Like 1