Sign in to follow this  
Paul Brown

Trinity Splatter - Uschi van der Rosten

Er, you did read that correctly. This is a set of PE brass templates used to create weathered, faded, dusty, splatter effects using an airbrush.

48719338652_98b8804242_b.jpg

The templates are 63x63mm, quite small, but even with a large model there is probably enough randomness for them not to look repetitive if set at different angles, reversed etc etc. How close you hold them to the surface you are spraying will determine edge hardness. I have seen similar templates used with great effect, but I would suggest subtlety is the key. Here's some close ups.

48719167711_e609b9f9d3_z.jpg

48718831613_a6a015c2de_z.jpg

48719338457_f6dd023406_z.jpg

You might be familiar with the idea of black basing and marbling - I've watched the videos, but in all honesty I'd rather, erm, watch paint dry than try a technique that turns painting into a feat of endurance. These could well give you similar results in a fraction of the time.

Belatedly I stumbled across this and it reminded me of something similar I have for reproducing wood grain.
That said, I have had a few goes at artistic woodwork and still not given them a try out.

resized_388b0d19-e4fe-4747-be28-7226ad53

• Like 1

My first attempt using Trinity Splatter. I held the template a few millimetres above the surface to try and get soft edges. It still looked a little too well defined so I misted on the same colour as a blending coat and it's what I was hoping to get. I've never tried marbling so I can't compare, but this seems to be a no brainer. Model is the 1/72 Modelcollect E-100 chassis, paints are AK primer variations.

49180616282_2099a4ed0f_b.jpg

49180616227_d24672604b_b.jpg
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 12:05 AM, Paul Brown said:

Er, you did read that correctly. This is a set of PE brass templates used to create weathered, faded, dusty, splatter effects using an airbrush.

Where can you get them from?