Gorby

Resin. To use or not to use, that is the question.....

It's taken me nearly three hours to make this part and I'll need eight of them (in three different sizes). Rather than spend the rest of my life making gears I'd ideally like to cast them.

VXuiDSnNeuSYLfpLLQGvJ0aW0vgXsEMHqDIVZLcc

Does anyone know if resin would work for something this delicate (it's 0.8mm thick) and if so, can anyone recommend a readily available (in the UK) resin that I could use.

Thanks in advance.

Just a suggestion in case you try resin & it doesn't work you could always consider white metal. Suitable silicon rubber can be purchased easily so making the moulds is no more difficult than making resin moulds. At one time, before resin became the trendy new kid in town, white metal casting was a lot more prevalent.

Now I need to know what you're working on that needs such gigantic cogs?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DC3 said:

Just a suggestion in case you try resin & it doesn't work you could always consider white metal. Suitable silicon rubber can be purchased easily so making the moulds is no more difficult than making resin moulds. At one time, before resin became the trendy new kid in town, white metal casting was a lot more prevalent.

Now I need to know what you're working on that needs such gigantic cogs?

Thanks for the idea, I hadn't considered white metal. I'm also considering the possibility of using plastic that's been dissolved in Tamiya extra thin. Someone on 'the other place' is using that method to good effect.

I've never used resin so I don't know how brittle it is.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you as I don't want to let on what I'm building yet. It's mainly because I'm not sure I'm up to the job so I want to get the most complicated bits done before I start the work in progress thingy.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Depends on the resin mate. PU which is what most aftermarket stuff is made of is very brittle. I suggest you look on the Bentley site (Benam.co.uk) and have a trawl around there. You could use casting epoxy which is tougher, but more expensive.

If you want any advice, just PM me.

Rich

33 minutes ago, Drichc said:

You could use casting epoxy which is tougher, but more expensive.

Ah....that's a word I'm not keen on. I thought normal resin may be brittle for this job. Probably wouldn't survive being taken out of the mould.

Thanks Rich, I've had a look around on t'interweb and that sort of outlay will be well over the top for what I need, so I may try the liquid plastic gunk method first. :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

Alumilite is pretty good for flexibility. It's nicely solid without being unfeasibly rigid.

Being new to all this resiny stuff I've never heard about Alumilite. Thanks very much for the suggestion, I will investigate. :thumbup:

They do the same sort of range as Benam Gorbs. The main product from Benam is 'Smooth-on', which is another American company and they are heavily tied in with the film industry. Problem is it costs a lot of shackles and your moths won't like it.:stirthepot:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Gorby said:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you as I don't want to let on what I'm building yet. It's mainly because I'm not sure I'm up to the job so I want to get the most complicated bits done before I start the work in progress thingy.

:thumbup:

I think he's building a model ship full of 'em.

They'll be labelled as "Japanese car parts".

That way when it explodes he can say that it "rained Datsun cogs" (wah-wah-wah-waaaahhhhh,Hi thang you very mush)9_99_9xDxDxD

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Miggers said:

"rained Datsun cogs"

I've just checked the calendar and your quite right, it is time to tell that joke again. Looking forward to seeing it again this time next month. :harhar:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Whilst using white metal may require the acquisition of a new set of skills it does have the possible advantage of reduced costs. Unlike resin white metal can be re-used almost ad infinitum, if you cock up the casting just chuck it back in the pot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DC3's idea is a good one Gorby, he may not be Yorkshire, but close enough!

Here ya go, UK distributer:-https://hobby.uk.com/  Melting pots and casting is the section you want. Some years ago you could get "Prince August" mould your own sets of figures, the important thing being you got a couple of metal ingots and a ladle, if you could find any?? you can have a go and see how it comes out.

HTH

Paul

• Thanks 1

I've ordered some clear Alumilite for £25, which well within my spending pain threshold. I could have got some white Alumilte for £21, but at some point in the future I want to experiment with doing water and want to see if this will be suitable. I had a look into the possibility of using white metal, but I would need silicon for the mould (I've already got stuff I can use with the resin) a melting pot; something to pour it; something to heat it up and that's before buying the pewter and planning my recovery from third degree burns.

It's also because I just want to play around with resin and possibly adding colour and experimenting with stabilised wood effects.

Thanks everyone for your contribution. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Could you use some clock parts? Places like cousins uk may have something suitable, unless you are determined to make them yourself. Nice job on the gear though, it looks superb.

Regards

Richard

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mulder1966 said:

Could you use some clock parts?

Great minds think alike – and so do ours! I trawled the t'interweb looking for suitable clock gears but gave up as I couldn’t find any that looked similar. Scrub that, I'm too much of a perfectionist/masochist to accept 'similar', that's why I'm doing them myself.

• Like 1