Mad Steve

SANNL 28TH-29TH SEPTEMBER

Morning Everyone :) 

I read like every week of these great model shows that I cant go too, (cos my bus doesn't stop there), so here's one that your bus wont go too :) 

The SANNL is our yearly model car show and is now in its 23rd year. Its held in Kimberley in the Northern Cape and is a hoot. It is run along the lines of the American NNL's whereby it is primarily a model car show, but there is also a competition attached to it, but not like the ones you are used too in that there is no Judging. All of the winners are chosen by your peers on a voting sheet and the ones with the most votes win. Simples. 

Some logistics for you... 

Kimberley is in the Northern Cape (Yes, Kimberley of the big diamond mine fame). That's about 560km from Joburg, and about 1000km from Cape Town so its quite a mission for us every year, but the Mrs and I make a mini break of it and get a couple of days holiday in too :) 

So if you just happen to be in the upside down bit of the world at the end of the month, pop in and say hi! :) 

I will post some photo's as soon as we get back. 

I'll be there, same as every year Steve. You can count on me, I won't let you down. :yes:

Now, If I remember correctly, that's a couple of miles just south of Cov isn't it? :smile:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Now, If I remember correctly, that's a couple of miles just south of Cov isn't it? :smile:

yes but make sure you go down the A423 not the A46........if you go past Stoneleigh you're lost! 😀😀

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, beowulf said:

yes but make sure you go down the A423 not the A46........if you go past Stoneleigh you're lost! 😀😀

Thanks for reminding me. That what I must have done last year - I couldn't find the place. :sad:

• Like 1

Sigh, we went through this last year...

So again, (in small words)

Out of Cov - South

carry on, carry on, carry on till you see the sign for The Big Hole, Three blocks up and turn left at the Total Garage and hey presto, you're there... 

I mean really, some people 🙄

Because I'm such an awesome friend, I checked on giggle maps for you. Its 8451 miles*, and should only take you 178 hours**, so I suggest you pack a stock of sandwiches and coffee :) 

* see, I've even put the distance in foreign for you... 

**178 hours is like 7 and a half days, clearly those people at giggle have never been to Africa***, so I'd double that and add 3 weeks just to be on the safe side...

*** When I had finished working in Zambia, I drove one of our company pick ups back to Joburg, took me less than half and hour to get through the Zambia/Botswana border, then 9 hours!!! to get through the border into my own damn country :) 

• Haha 2

On 08/09/2019 at 10:47, Mad Steve said:

took me less than half and hour to get through the Zambia/Botswana border,

Things have changed a lot then.

Took me nearly three hours.

They are actually quite on the ball Ian, especially on the Zambian side. If you have an empty pick up and all the right papers and you are there sparrow fart, then its chop chop. 

The problem getting into SA from Botswana is the post I used was built in about 1950, and still has the same staff compliment as then. You sit there in the queue and suddenly 3 buses pull up and its hell for leather people trying to get to the counters ( people in this country do not seem to understand the concept of queing) and if you were in the actual queue, then toughies. They actually closed the border at one point it was getting so out of hand. 

On 9/8/2019 at 6:31 AM, Mad Steve said:

SANNL 

Hello Mad,

despite spending many a happy hour since your initial post trying to figure out what this means I have to admit defeat so could you put me out of my misery,

cheers,

dave

😁

The american model car shows are called NNL's which stands for National Nameless Luminaries, and ours just has SA tagged on the front 😁