warreni

Building Italeris Ancient Hustler

Hello everyone.

While waiting for items for my latest ship build I have started building some of my older kits that have been in the stash for 20+ years and some others from manufacturers I have not built kits from before.

I started the Italeri 1/72 SM-82 Canguro, Roden 1/48 PC-6 Turboporter and the Valom 1/72 Albemarle last weekend. All are now up to paint stage and I am now waiting for masks for them all, especially the intricate Albemarle. Yep, three kits in one week, mainly because I had it off as I got a virus and didn't want to go to work and spread it around.

I went to the shed this stash facility this afternoon and picked three more kits, Tamiya's 1/48 Shinden, Trumpeter's 1/72 Tu-16 and the Italeri 1/72 B-58 Hustler, the subject of this blog. I have had this kit since just after it was released and it has followed me all over Australia moving either with the RAAF or my work post-RAAF. I thought it would be interesting to see how bad the fit was etc like many people seem to think on some other sites I inhabit. Let me state categorically they are wrong. The fit of this ancient kit is excellent and will need very little filler, if any , to finish.

I started at about 2pm and all the wings, engines etc are all built and the fuselage buttoned up by 4.30pm! Woohoo! A quick build is a good build.

The box top..

20190818-144853.jpg

Contents.

20190818-144923.jpg

20190818-144948.jpg

I found one moulding fault in one of the instrument pedestals in one of the drew areas..

20190818-145347.jpg

Not too worried as there are only four tiny windows which you wont even be able to see through for this area. Another problem I found was with the original decals..

20190818-144810.jpg

Oh well. And some weird patterns on other parts of the sheet, . Think they came off the instructions at some time..

20190818-144835.jpg

Here are all the subassemblies waiting for their time to shine when they get attached to the fuselage..

20190818-164305.jpg

And I took a photo after I buttoned up the fuselage..

20190818-164321.jpg

Just one or two clamps. But again fit is marvellous.

That;s it for now. Might even finish it this week..  :)

Cheers
Warren

• Like 6

Hi Warren,

I'm not 100% sure but I think I may have at least some of the kits decals in better nick than yours, I could have a look if you'd be interested but bear in mind there would be a delay as I'd be posting from the UK & you do seem to be on a speed thing atm,

cheers,

Dave

Got to love old Italeri kits. My first one of theirs was a JU86 with the radial engines. Still keep an eye out for one nowadays.

10 hours ago, DC3 said:

Hi Warren,

I'm not 100% sure but I think I may have at least some of the kits decals in better nick than yours, I could have a look if you'd be interested but bear in mind there would be a delay as I'd be posting from the UK & you do seem to be on a speed thing atm,

cheers,

Dave

Thank you for the offer Dave but I have the Caracal Set for this kit. Maybe I was prescient as I bought them a few years ago before I knew the problems with the kit items.

I feel the need for speed with this kit but the Rodney has been going for over 12 months now...  :)

8 hours ago, skwonk said:

Got to love old Italeri kits. My first one of theirs was a JU86 with the radial engines. Still keep an eye out for one nowadays.

I have two  inline engine kits in the stash. One airliner and the Ju 86D.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, warreni said:

If you want any decals from the set I haven't used give me a yell.

Do you know which subject you are going to use yet?

1 hour ago, warreni said:

but the Rodney has been going for over 12 months now...  :)

Just out of general interest thought I'd mention that the Nelson was built in my home town of Hebburn, County Durham, my grandad was a riveter & worked on her & the Kelly.

The wings, crew covers, rear gun and radome are on and the big bomb carrier/drop-tank in assembled.

20190823-173117.jpg

20190823-173120.jpg

20190823-173129.jpg

20190823-173024.jpg

The gap between the wing and the fuselage took a few applications of filler etc but I am happy that it has disappeared enough.  :)

Cheers
Warren

• Like 3

Another day another few hours of modelling joy!

The Hustler got its canopy attached this morning ..

20190825-104005.jpg

.. and after letting it dry and applying some Maskol over the clear bits I found I had some Mr Hobby 218 Laquer left over from a previous project. 218 is Aluminium and looks the part on the Hustler..

20190825-183159.jpg

WIll wait for at least 24 hours before I mask up for the darker metallic colour on the engine pods etc.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 6

Let's see now.. three disasters and three recoveries sort of describes my Father's Day weekend..

First I sprayed the PC-6 I am also building and it came out really crappy with the first coat. Then I dropped it from a small height and it broke off part of the undercarriage and two aerials. I reglued the undercarriage but am leaving the aerials off until I have finished painting the foliage green, which I just did and it looks great now I have the paint mixture ratio good.

Then, and a bit worse, you know that nice NMF I got on the Hustler, well it has been removed.  :(

I had not used that paint for a long time and after I masked it up and painted the darker silver on the engines etc. this is what happened..

20190901-111426.jpg

20190901-112028.jpg

Yes, the top layers of the paint seemed to lift off. Great eh! So I removed all the NMF and have to start over. It was buffing paint but I forgot that it lifted off when you removed the masking tape.

|:(   |:(

I finally finished masking up the B-58 after spraying the matt surfaces with Tamiya XF-56. I was intending on using Alclad again but it was about 7 tears since I last used it (time really does fly). I picked up the bottle of gloss black undercoat and.... it has gone off.. I shook the bottle and nothing moved inside... I opened the bottle and had a small wiff.. very little fumes.. Then I stuck a scriber in it just in case it was just a dry coat over the top and the rest was good... nope.. hard as a rock..  😣  🤐

The top was on tight and the small bottles of metallic are still fine so the painting is put off again until I can get some more Alclad II Black.

On a positive not, the repairs I did on my PC-6 after dropping it just a few inches have worked fine and the foliage green Lifecolor paint has gone on beautifully, after I worked out the right ratio for thinning.

That's it for now.

Warren

Edited by warreni

Hi All.

Well the Hustler is finally finished. Not the best kit I have ever built but at least I now have a B-58 in my collection. Got the silver on then sprayed Gloss clear with self=leveling thinner but it came out very crappy. Oh well, will know for next NMF bird..

20191007-172219.jpg

Now its back to the Rodney..

Cheers..

Warren

Edited by warreni
  • Like 2