Sign in to follow this  
mac1677

Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk XIV (A05135)

Love it Chris,can I suggest you put a smidge of up elevator,left rudder and left aileron in?. That Griffon is swinging that big Rotol to the left,everything else is trying to go right,left rudder and aileron are mandatory in Griffon Spit's at low airspeed and high prop revs(Take off/landing)to counteract the powerful torque.

How did it build? mine is next up to do and I've heard a few tales but others say they've had no problems at all. 

Cheers guys 👍

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

can I suggest you put a smidge of up elevator, left rudder and left aileron in

Already done mate, but thanks 😃

This kit is not one of Airfix's finest IMO. I had major issues with the upper wing to fuselage joint, I glued the lower part of the wing to the fuselage with no problems, once the top half of the wings went on that all changed with a massive gap and step. Here is the WiP if you want a shuftie.

2 hours ago, mac1677 said:

Cheers guys 👍

Already done mate, but thanks 😃

This kit is not one of Airfix's finest IMO. I had major issues with the upper wing to fuselage joint, I glued the lower part of the wing to the fuselage with no problems, once the top half of the wings went on that all changed with a massive gap and step. Here is the WiP if you want a shuftie.

Ooof,that's some 'orrid gappage.

Some have said that if your parts have got a bit of flash around some of the smaller mouldings(i.e cockpit parts),then you've got

one of the very early pressings that escaped QC and the fit will be "dubious"to say the least.

Mine seems to be one of the later pressings that has no flash on it,I've not started it yet,but have had the sprues out of the bag for a "leer"

and to eye up the ease of conversion work for an FR,XVIII(pretty damn simples TBH)in 208's LSG/DE/MSG colours.

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

Some have said that if your parts have got a bit of flash around some of the smaller mouldings(i.e cockpit parts),then you've got one of the very early pressings that escaped QC and the fit will be "dubious"to say the least.

That's interesting to know, my sample has a clean set of mouldings, but I think I will be gluing the upper wings to each fuselage half before adding the lower piece.

On 11/08/2019 at 16:59, Paul Brown said:

That's interesting to know, my sample has a clean set of mouldings, but I think I will be gluing the upper wings to each fuselage half before adding the lower piece.

That's my usual wheeze too Paul. 

100% no gaps every time.