Turret Modifications.

There’s basically only one, and that’s the main armament. RMASG Centaurs, like the Mk.Vl Cromwells, used the close support 95mm howitzer. Unfortunately, nobody has got around to producing one in 1/48th scale, so it’s back to scratch building it. To do this required two different thicknesses of sprue, which were rubbed down to eliminate the mould lines and two ensure that they were round. The front muzzle section, I drilled out larger than I needed, and then inserted a plastic tube to give the lip seen on these weapons. I then filed the bottom flat and joined it to the rear part of the barrel, making sure that they were parallel, and then glued the whole assembly into the turret front.

768a6203-4a59-4da2-8a34-e97919e7194e.JPG

An additional aerial base was made from sprue and fixed to the left side of the turret, just in front of the commander’s cupola. To be honest, I’m not sure if “Sea Wolf” was fitted with this aerial base as that part of the turret is obscured in the photo, but other Centaurs had it. The moulded on hatch clips were removed and replaced with items from the Hauler set, and the front commander’s hatch had to be replaced with a scratch built item as the part from the kit was devoured by the carpet monster or one of it’s relatives! Many of the Marine’s Centaurs are shown to have an extension fitted to the periscope just in front of the commanders cupola. This was probably a D-Day addition so I left it off of mine as the photo of “Sea Wolf” shown in several publications purports to be some time in 1944 before the landings.

8a094c07-5ca8-4034-a611-da5433503f0d.JPG

The sand shields are next, but I need to get some paint on first.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Muttley's Grandad. said:

Thanks Darren. Nearly there now. Enjoy the GP (and the two hour coach ride)>

John.

Cheers John it was a long sad return tonight 

On 01/09/2019 at 06:59, Muttley's Grandad. said:

I've recorded the highlights of qualifying, so I expect there will be something about the crash on there. Very sad.

John.

It was John the round of applause on lap 19 of the race was emotional on Sunday 

• Like 1

The drive sprockets, idlers and road wheels were push fitted on and then the link and length track was assembled and fixed to the road wheels with CA glue. Once both assemblies were thoroughly hardened, they were slid off of the axles again to be washed and painted. I had to shorten the stub axles because when the wheels and sprockets were pushed on, they protruded out past the track guards. Fortunately, the metal that Tamiya use in their 1/48th hulls is quite soft, and I was able to snip a small portion off with side cutters.

The lower hull and running gear was sprayed with Tamiya XF12 Japanese Navy Grey and then airbrushed with a coat of SCC2 (I’ll give the mix later). The tracks were given a dilute coat of Tamiya brown/black.

The sand shields for the front and back, were made from thin sheet pewter. These were cut to shape and embossed using a ball point pen and super glued in place, after the wheels and tracks had been installed. Using the foil allowed some damage to be incorporated.

f345c3ad-deea-4587-a5ec-cad23f2a2c70.jpg 6b6a68e3-ed3f-421c-a394-236ea2d07929.jpg

098aba8d-77e9-47ee-bd1b-796fa0103d11.jpg

OK, that's the construction part finished, so now it's onto the painting.Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 3

There has been much speculation as to which colour the RMASG’s tanks were finished in, SCC2 Brown or SCC15 Olive Drab. With regard to the Centaurs, I think that it’s fairly safe to say that they appeared in both colours. Several of the Centaurs were taken from storage and issued to the Marines, and I believe that “Sea Wolf” was one of those, so therefore in my opinion, it’s likely that when new they were finished in SCC2 and remained that way when place in storage. As the original intention was to only use these tanks as fire support in the run up to the Normandy beaches, it’s unlikely that they would have gone to the trouble of repainting them SCC15. So brown it would be.

Primer once again was Tamiya XF12 followed by XF68 NATO Brown, XF3 Yellow and XF1 Black in a ratio of 5:4:1 to give a reasonable representation of SCC2. More yellow was added and this was sprayed in the centre of the panels and hatches. Finally, a coat of Klear was sprayed all over and left to dry ready for the decals.

From the outset, markings for this tank were going to be a problem, but in the past I’ve turned to Ernst Peddinghaus for my requirements. I supplied him with some drawings and photos and a couple of weeks later, back came a complete set of decals for a very reasonable price. But unlike the 1/35th Tamiya decals, there are no cutouts in the turret markings to go around things such as the large rivets, lifting eyes, pistol port and the circular plate on the rear of the turret, so a lot of time was spent cutting each individual decal to go around each protrusion. Once these were on, they wee sealed in with another coat of Klear.

477a724b-d6cc-4ab3-8456-3e0148dc5299.JPG

7187c103-c959-4819-948f-00fbc2ed38e4.JPG

66495005-b58d-4210-a140-8b1812d5ffac.JPG

009ff7e4-52ae-45ef-820b-cce603c1122a.JPG

That's it, nearly finished. Just a couple more posts and then it'll be in the RFI.

John.

• Like 3

Hi John, do you think those decals would be available to purchase now or were they just a one off for you?

13 hours ago, DC3 said:

Hi John, do you think those decals would be available to purchase now or were they just a one off for you?

They are available to everyone. I've dealt with Ernst a few times and each time that he has produced some decals for me, he then puts them into his catalogue. If you look on is site and scroll down to the 1/48 Tanks page, you should find the two sheets that he does for the RMASG Centaurs. They are numbered 2713 & 2716. I think he also includes the RMASG Shermans on them.    

https://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/?language=en

John.

• Thanks 1

All that remained now was the final little jobs. The lower hull was weathered with a mixture of resin and fine sand and then when dry Mig earth powders were rubbed in. The pioneer tools were painted along with the pads on the hatch covers, tow ropes, tyres and the contents of the open bin. The blanket was painted grey as that was the colour that I remembered from my childhood from the blankets that my Dad brought home after the war. The compo boxes were painted a light cream and when dry, decals were added from an old Fighting 48th decal sheet. I had no idea about the colour of the tin, so I painted it green with some vague label on it. Incidentally, the tin was made from a small off cut of plastic tube, and the lid was punched out from card using a paper hole punch.

cc17ad7c-cce1-4756-bc4b-391469e68425.JPG

The marks on the blanket are supposed to be an arrow and the WD marking, but didn't show up too well.

a4e920cc-c72a-4f3c-9153-2c8a25e5db3e.JPG

I added a couple of bits of stowage each side at the rear. At the front on the left hand side, I managed to damage the paintwork on the track guard, so rather than repaint it, I covered it up with a towel made from pewter foil and painted with some food stains on it. I also added a mess tin (Oh the joys of mess tins!!) made from card and wire and a spoon from scrap etched brass.

1b48f940-b2eb-4604-95b4-ffe68313c5f2.JPG

9270762d-6650-406a-acd3-2437b2a97958.jpg

The base is just a piece of ply wood, sanded and varnished, with a road section glued on top, made from card, as was the paved section. The street lamp came from an old Airfix model railway lineside kit and I extended the height with a piece of rod. The figures are white metal ones from Parabellum and are among the best I’ve ever seen in this scale.

b70b7347-b839-4d8a-8abd-3cb7b6a60e82.JPG

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable build that now sits alongside my Cromwell lVf and Cromwell Vl. It’s now ready for RFI. Thanks to everyone for the comments and likes.

John.

• Like 3

Great modelling John, don't worry about the paint on the track guard, they used to rip 'em off on the full size vehicles, country roads were never built for tanks!

Me Dad would be glad the compo rations weren't 'Bully', he would eat many thing but not lamb or corned beef (bully).

Paul

• Thanks 1