Kevin

Mountfleet 1/32 St Nectan Steam trawler by Kevin

Are you planning to put a motor and radio control in this Trawler? I have Caldercraft's Northlight Clyde Puffer kit in my garage waiting to be built, but can't decide on whether to fit R.C. and motor, mainly because there is nowhere around here to sail it. I'll certainly e watching you build this,

Cheers Andy

Two very good question, to which i have fully prepared answers

1, cost nothing, as it is being built as a static, intentions are to either open the hull up and show internal detail, or leave alone and allow someone else to convert her to RC

2 display, displaying is not a problem until it is completed, then it does become a problem

3 where not sure what you mean, this comes from moutfleet models as a complete kit, one hull, wooden sheets for the decks and over 1500 white metal parts http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/therange.html

i did a 1/72 HMS Fife but sold her before completion from a company called fleetscale they do hulls, plans and and vbuy most of the generic parts as required or scratch build http://www.fleetscale.com/store/gb/

cipqvoW.jpg

kg051pf.jpg

S4YmRNC.jpg

• Like 4

HULL
Bilge keel and foredec
k

several options to fit this i went for the drastic one and drilled the hull with a 2mm bit the length required and pushed the over sized keel into position, set it with 2 part epoxy and when set took it down the the correct size, it is now solid as a rock

fGZnGZP.jpg

4V4ZuWT.jpg

icvcGlX.jpg

w7l0h6Q.jpg

j78NHCy.jpg

• Like 1

preparing the hull for decks

this is a static build, i dont have time for RC, i like lots of detailing, and i dont think you can have both, 

the deck over;lay fits on top of this, it is a marked out plank representation, but i dont want that

CfgnMX5.jpg

eDaH8Xz.jpg

VHtvpbo.jpg

wplZ3Tp.jpg

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, skwonk said:

What a beast! Heaven's to Betsy! I seem to remember the Fife from somewhere else, I may be wrong.

i sold the Fife a year ago, to fund this build, but have the build log on Flory, Britmodeler, and NRG Model ship world, oh and facebook. i tend to use these most of the time ans here as well now, might even be on several others, but not used on a regular occurrence

• Like 1

you may realise i dont work to any set plan, if im lucky to get a few hours free, i will do what ever i fancy, so some mini projects get started, and completed at a much later date

Wheel house

cutting the windows out of the ply took ages, and then i snapped it, so made it out of plasticard

y0S1LPk.jpg

xx0sWH8.jpg

6xu6cvf.jpg7Keiays.jpgvoVvTg4.jpg

R8HOdMH.jpg

mQJcnVh.jpg

aIMdnBQ.jpg

chart room

AJzmyi4.jpg

wireless room

NUjPti6.jpg

Ew8yxZP.jpgVCbb70Z.jpgwXgfUlM.jpg9jjZYCq.jpg

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

I think machinery can be beautiful (is it just me?) and to me your winch is a thing of beauty.

Mrs. Gorby thinks I'm mad. Not because of the beautiful machine thing, she just thinks I'm mad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Takes quite a lot of clean up to get it to that position, but its a very soft white metal

Still more to do on it and obviously the bars need trimming down 

I will do another update possibly  to night with the wooden decks

Ty for the likes

38 minutes ago, Invictaag said:

That's what I like about ship model building, you can treat each "unit," in this case a great looking Winch, as a seperate little project. 

yes perhaps thats why i prefer large scale, i can build a mini project up, move on and come back to it later on, and example is the vents that fit behind the wheel house not finished but suitable for now

two bad moulded resin tops, supplied plastic tubing, some white metal bits

HUULHVT.jpg

pfbZiQ6.jpg

22u45A7.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

I wish I had the patience or the room for a project like yours or Paul s 

I have the patience and the room, just not the time

however i am about to start the revell Snowberry this will be the first kit in a long time that i can move around the work bench since doing the abandoned a truck and D9R which i had always wanted to do then got bored with it so very quickly

xNkKbT2.jpg

• Like 3

Wooden deck

three decks make up this build Fore. main and Boat deck, each one had lines drawn on it to represent planking, but i wanted to lay a wooden deck

teaching my self a new skill is my way of learning, and gave me a chance to try nibbling

no plank goes to a point, always to about 1/3 of the original width, and the margin plank (on the outside butts up to this

5RrHneD.jpg

C9lDplA.jpg

HGV3ylF.jpg

N8cOoZ6.jpg

2iCjRSx.jpg

simulated nails and a Flory grey wash

Main deck

same process but had to set 6 scuttles into it and insert some deck lighting

d5WDkyO.jpg

GnT6ps3.jpg

ZWXAOlm.jpg

1VbywDm.jpgW0pzgJk.jpg

XgsU1bG.jpg

• Like 2

Good evening everyone

i have left the Bluebell for now, i dont have a way ahead for her, and feel shamed that my work is not as good as i would have liked 

anyway i went back to the steam trawler as i have a weeks holiday, and as a result, perhaps the best days modelling i have done for some time

The more i do on this winch the more i find to do, not from instructions but from real life photos and other build logs, lots of anti twist/bracing bars to go in still

IMG_5136.thumb.JPG.aa0fde497c204cc1282a0933eaf25dd8.JPGIMG_5137.thumb.JPG.28b3fe087efa276e0197eea6bd1b4f15.JPGIMG_5138.thumb.JPG.8b628ae02e9940732300f80d6cfbf05c.JPGIMG_5139.thumb.JPG.c6cb3a4fafa09b6f697835acedb03c45.JPGIMG_5140.thumb.JPG.8f01e3e11ff85994d1f1f671257fc1dd.JPGIMG_5141.thumb.JPG.e628bd4020fdc2916a11a3d81290b53d.JPGIMG_5142.thumb.JPG.17ee6e67edab1756e685676fd3aec6a2.JPGIMG_5143.thumb.JPG.8b5830baeccb32ebd0f77b0c1bd5b177.JPGIMG_5144.thumb.JPG.43c58a0c73fb9313123f6519a8fc31d5.JPGIMG_5145.thumb.JPG.dcbe93e490523470f0730a41150cb979.JPGIMG_5146.thumb.JPG.fc87ac43c49a38dba01c06ab4308c84c.JPGIMG_5147.thumb.JPG.8dcbf8b62638dd2a9fa4acdb0730e61b.JPGIMG_5148.thumb.JPG.d0dc1ff19e32af18949004eb06589e0a.JPGIMG_5149.thumb.JPG.103db65bda42a721ce155679a72fc4b8.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

• Like 5