BlackMike Models

Merit J2F-5 Duck

On 19/08/2019 at 17:10, BlackMike Models said:

With a little perspective I think the weathering was a bit heavy for a peacetime aircraft so have toned it down a bit.

I’m late to this party, but I think your decision is a wise one. I’d guess that ship borne float planes would have spent very little time on the sea and would have been cleaned immediately after recovery. A permanent mooring in salt water would be a different story, but is that a likely scenario. If permanently moored in fresh water the consideration is more about what material are the floats? Perhaps aluminium. If so the aluminium would likely have an oxidising skin which would then prevent the water from much of a reaction. So perhaps a bit of staining as you have shown and also maybe some of the fastners would have stained a little “brown” colouring. Looking on the web it’s not easy to find any pictures confirming any corrosion so as I initially wrote (a long winded paragraph ago) I think your right to keep it very low key.

all that waffle aside, your build is gorgeous 👍🏼 

• Thanks 1