BlackMike Models

Merit J2F-5 Duck

Time to start my next project. I’ve been itching to start this one since I bought the kit earlier in the year but it’s had to wait in the queue.

IMG_5673-600x450.jpg

I’m not doing the kit supplied scheme as I have found a couple of photos of a silver/yellow wings  -5 which must have been reasonably rare.

IMG_5677-600x420.jpg

I am still working on finding out more details like if it had a flight coloured chevron on top of the wing but have enough info to make a start at least.

The parts are nicely moulded and although I’d never heard of Merit before this kit I suspect they are part of Trumpeter as the instructions are laid out in exactly the same format.

IMG_5674-600x450.jpg

Time to get some paint on the interior.

Duncan B

• Like 5

looks a nice kit duncan I think merit are something to do with Trumpeter boss as their 1/18 190 is now a hobby boss kit 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

I've got the old Glencoe kit if you want it...

It's okay thanks Jessie, but the offer is appreciated.  

• Like 1

My Son and his GF were visiting for a few days so no actual plastic mangling had taken place but this morning it’s back to the bench.

On inspection of the fuselage parts I spotted a mould line running around the front float section that needed cleaning up. If I had been doing the blue colour scheme I might not have bothered but silver was bound to highlight the flaw so it had to be fixed. You can see the front half has been polished off in the photo below.

IMG_5682-600x450.jpg

Just the most awkward bit to deal with in this photo.

IMG_5684-600x450.jpg

I am hoping that is the only sanding I will have to do so I can make good progress towards the painting stage.

Duncan B

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Wow! You don't want to fill in some Hellcat ejector pins do you? 

I've tried all sorts of methods for removing those ejector pin marks, glass fibre pencil, filling with super glue, scraping with a scalpel. The method I like best is the one where I ignore them completely!

DB

• Haha 3

Some proper modelling this morning, plastic cut from spruces, glue and paint slapped about.

The kit only contains 80 odd parts, 20 of which are inside the fuselage. The detail is good enough for what will be seen, could do with some seatbelts for the pilot though.

IMG_5688-600x450.jpg IMG_5687-600x450.jpg

I had some paint left in the airbrush so did a test spray directly onto the plastic. It’s not perfect but would be good enough for a silver painted finish.

IMG_5690-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

I've tried all sorts of methods for removing those ejector pin marks, glass fibre pencil, filling with super glue, scraping with a scalpel. The method I like best is the one where I ignore them completely!

DB

Me too, the surface looks pretty good to me 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Me too, the surface looks pretty good to me 

With hindsight I should had thrown that spare paint onto the from of the float to see if the mould lines had gone!

Duncan B

A bit more footering about with the cockpit and started on the engine.

IMG_5691-600x450.jpg

I added some lumps and bumps to the Radio Ops boxes to give him something to twiddle with (to keep his mind off the fact that he doesn’t have a seat!).

IMG_5692-600x450.jpg

In the real thing his seat folds up to the rear to allow access to the ‘Wine Bar’ in the cellar. Merit have been very light on adding detail into the rear cockpit and down below.

IMG_5693-600x450.jpg

That is a wine rack isn’t it?

On to the engine, still more bits to go on.

IMG_5694-600x450.jpg IMG_5695-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

It'll be where they store the whine for the engine

Looking really tops Duncan! 

• Haha 3

A bit more work on the engine. It’s all as per the kit.

IMG_5696-338x450.jpg IMG_5697-338x450.jpg

AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Aluminium base with a wash of Citadel black and some ink to add the shadows.

Tomorrow I’ll be playing with the exhausts.

Duncan B

• Like 4

I had some fun with some pigments this morning.

IMG_5713-600x450.jpg

The engine is now complete.

IMG_5718-600x450.jpg IMG_5715-600x450.jpg IMG_5719-600x471.jpg

I am rather chuffed with the way that has turned out (but wait until I discover I have glued the exhausts 1 cylinder out of whack!).

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 6

On 10/07/2019 at 11:17, BlackMike Models said:

I’m not doing the kit supplied scheme as I have found a couple of photos of a silver/yellow wings  -5 which must have been reasonably rare.

IMG_5677-600x420.jpg

I am still working on finding out more details like if it had a flight coloured chevron on top of the wing but have enough info to make a start at least.

The parts are nicely moulded and although I’d never heard of Merit before this kit I suspect they are part of Trumpeter as the instructions are laid out in exactly the same format.

Afternoon Duncan, sorry I can't help you with this aircraft specifically.

Some Squadrons had flight colour chevrons on the upper wing (mainly -2 and -3 models) but a lot didn't, also, quite a few had either a full colour engine cowling or the lower half painted, upper half in painted aluminium. Most photos I've been able to find the only NMF variants I've found are -2 with the U.S.C.G. the remainder I feel are painted aluminium or very pale grey or white. The second link, below, has the same photo as above, but I can't make my mind up if it's shadow on the lower cowl or a light colour paint? Worth mentioning that the nose bumper of the float were wood, many were painted but some were left as varnished timber. Another thing that's worth checking is the colour division on the tail surfaces, some had just the fin / rudder painted, some fin / rudder and horizontal surfaces and finally similar to the photo, above, the whole of the rear upper fuselage as well.

Believe you've got the Ginter monograph? This may be also of interest:- http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Grumman-Duck.html 

along with this:- http://theflyingboatforum.forumlaunch.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1536&sid=84e8e0ace665830f43d3b0569f6f9437

and this:- https://storia.me/ru/3678779-1hjrpz/s/amp

Hope this is of some help, and that you still have hair next time I see you on September 1st!

Paul

• Thanks 1

@pheonix54 thanks for that Paul. What I have discovered so far is that my a/c could be light grey fuselage with a painted aluminium float, lower wings and underside of upper Wings. That was quite common in 1941 and can clearly be seen on the USMC a/c on Neutrality Patrols in the Caribbean. However the photos in the Ginter book of this one don’t look to be light grey and the captions State it is silver. There are several pictures of other VJ-4 J2F-5s which are clearly silver also in the book.

This particular a/c probably doesn’t have a wing chevron as it is doesn’t have any nose marking either and being No. 25 it was probably a ‘spare’ aircraft. The Flight colours were based on 18 a/c in a Squadron for Carrier based a/c at least.

DB

This afternoon I have mostly been building the sub assemblies. Like most biplane builds it’s going to be easier to pre paint as much as possible before tipping it all into a box, pouring the glue in and giving it a good shake at the end (I wish)!

IMG_5722-600x450.jpg

In the photos I have seen there is an obvious raised seam around the wing floats.

IMG_5725-600x450.jpg

The kit parts had engraved lines to depict this which would probably just look like a badly fitted joint so I needed to do something about that. I was thinking about masking tape strips when I remembered I had this stuff... (in black too which I used here).

IMG_5727-338x450.jpg

IMG_5724-600x450.jpg

Not sure how it will cope with being painted over but we’ll soon find out.

My next task is to clean up all the seams on those parts and then make up the main undercarriage.

With regards to my previous post here is another photo of a VJ-4 J2F-5 Duck from the same time period as my one. It looks silver all over to me. (Photos credited to S Ginter) 

IMG_5726-600x431.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

there is some great work going on here Duncan that engine is beautiful 

Thanks Daz, it’s really down to the kit. Nicely moulded parts and it’s falling together so far.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Tidy work all round Duncan but the exhaust manifolds are particularly impressive.

On 16/07/2019 at 13:40, BlackMike Models said:

In the real thing his seat folds up to the rear to allow access to the ‘Wine Bar’ in the cellar....

Only on the posh RAF version. Everyone else had a beer fridge.

• Haha 2

Here’s where I’m at right now. Fuselage went together really well considering there’s a Council house inside it. The only filler required was where I had been a bit over zealous removing the sprue gates and some Mr Surfacer to even out some of the joint on the float.

IMG_5730-600x450.jpg IMG_5732-338x450.jpg IMG_5731-600x450.jpg

I’m cleaning up the surface detail and will reinstate any panel lines lost during the sanding.

So far so good. I’ve already checked the fit of the engine into the cowl and then to the fuselage and also the fit of the tailplane. All fit well so can be left off until after the main painting is complete which will cut down on masking.

Duncan B

• Like 4