BlackMike Models

Hobbycraft Seversky P-35 1/48

For my next project I’m looking for something simple and quick so I’m going for this.

IMG_5539-600x412.jpg

I bought this at the Scottish National Scale Model Show from ”Donnie’s Stash” sale.

The decals have seen better days so I forked out for a set of Yellow-Wings replacements that cost me twice as much as the kit!

IMG_5543-338x450.jpg

The kit parts were all still sealed in the bags so Donnie hadn’t opened them. They are beautifully moulded with finely engraved panel lines. I must admit I wasn’t  expecting it to be such a nice looking kit.

IMG_5540-338x450.jpg IMG_5541-338x450.jpg IMG_5542-338x450.jpg

I’m really looking forward to getting started on this one, another type that I know very little about.

Duncan B

• Like 6

Up early this morning so time to cut some plastic.

Here’s where I got to before Mrs B appeared from her crypt! It’s her day off so this might be the only progress but we’ll see.

IMG_5546-600x405.jpg

Some nice cockpit details for the age of the kit.

IMG_5547-600x435.jpg IMG_5548-338x450.jpg

The engine is quite nice too, all perfectly acceptable for a quick build.

IMG_5549-338x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 6

Got a few more hours at it. I always find that the early stages of a build while sorting the interior and the latter stages fitting and painting all the little bits take the longest. 

At close of play today I have the cockpit painted and ready to fit to the fuselage which has it’s seams cleaned up. The engine is part built and part painted and the wings are built and cleaned up.

IMG_5554-600x450.jpg IMG_5553-338x450.jpg IMG_5551-338x450.jpg IMG_5550-338x450.jpg

A quick dry fit tells me that there will be a bit of work to get the wing joints cleaned up and faired in, that’s for another day.

Duncan B

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Here’s where I got to before Mrs B appeared from her crypt!

Wow that's pretty ballsy stuff for a married guy, respect.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Looking really  good Duncan a nice tidy pit 

As you may know I hate detailing cockpits but one of the disadvantages of moving up to 1/48 is that I have to make more of an effort.

34 minutes ago, DC3 said:

Wow that's pretty ballsy stuff for a married guy, respect.

It's not really, she doesn't look on here so I'm reasonably safe so long as no-one dobs me in :)

Duncan B

16 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

so long as no-one dobs me in :)

Lets discuss that. I'm certain that could be ensured if a certain W W kit was suddenly heavily discounted.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

Mrs B I have a confession....

Drat & double drat.

• Haha 1

More progress today, a lot of time spent filling in (or attempting to) the wing to fuselage joints. I’ll need to have another round of filling after the first primer coat.

IMG_5556-600x450.jpg

There’s still a big step front and rear.

IMG_5555-600x436.jpg

The cockpit floor and rear bulkhead were fitted before the wing went on.

IMG_5558-600x450.jpg IMG_5557-600x450.jpg

The engine cowl is just a smidge too narrow for the fuselage. I’ll have to check it once I’ve got a coat of primer on it.

IMG_5559-600x450.jpg IMG_5561-600x586.jpg IMG_5562-600x450.jpg

I’ve got a few air scoops and stuff to fit then I will be able to get a coat of primer on it.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 3

Don't forget that there's a flap line running across the rear wing to fuselage join which ought to make your filling job that much simpler.

• Thanks 1

Tis good progress. I did one years ago. I had a bit of a gap along the port side of the canopy to fuselage. It may pay to really press it down for a decent fit, just don't break it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skwonk said:

Tis good progress. I did one years ago. I had a bit of a gap along the port side of the canopy to fuselage. It may pay to really press it down for a decent fit, just don't break it.

I haven’t checked the canopy fit yet, might check that before the first coat of primer goes on.

I have spent the morning cleaning up the various joints with another round of Mr Surfacer 500 & 1000 brushed on. It will probably need a bit more in places but I’ll sort that after the first coat of primer.

IMG_5566-600x477.jpg IMG_5569-600x503.jpg IMG_5567-600x450.jpg IMG_5565-600x442.jpg

It’ll need a wash before the first primer coat and the cockpit/engine masked off too. Those will be the next jobs.

Duncan B

• Like 3

First coat of primer, Mr Surfacer 1000 in this case, applied then flatted back. Not too many faults to rectify as it turns out.

IMG_5570-600x496.jpg IMG_5571-600x448.jpg

There was one oddity, looks like a chunk of filler fell out on the leading edge of the wing just below the air intake. Mr Surfacer 500 to the rescue.

IMG_5572-600x450.jpg

That coat of primer has been polished up ready for the next coat. I could either go with Mr Surfacer 1200 in grey or 1500 in black, I haven’t decided yet. I’ll be laying down a black base coat for the final top coat anyway so it doesn’t really matter which I go for.

(sorry the pictures are all ‘the same’ at the moment)

Duncan B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

your surface preparation is second to none mate 

It has to be for this one as it's going to be polished aluminium and any surface defects will be really obvious. I'm not always quite so fussy though if I'm doing a camo finish.

I decided to give it another thin coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with Self Levelling Thinners. I'll let it harden off over night and decide what's next in the morning.

Duncan B

2 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

The usual voodoo magic has started, following along and taking notes.

No pressure then!! Strangely enough I always claimed that my good friend Arkady72 used black magic or had a shrink gun when building his models, he is seriously good though.

Duncan B