AMT 1/25th scale 1962 Chevrolet Bel Air 409 fast back.

Being hooked on Steve Magnante's you tube Junkyard Crawls, I've finally chosen an American 60's Chevrolet Fast back.

YjNucmP.jpg

cool looking Motor, unlike anything on British Roads.

eRhGfjb.png

Following Steve's informative You tube channel, he posts a new Video every morning, I've learnt a lot about American cars

from this era, the underside of the body on frame shows the early use of the "X" shaped Chassis frame, this didn't last long.

this shape didn't protect the occupants from side impact the same way a car does that has longitudinal chassis members.

1964 Chevrolet built more cars in one year than Morris Minors were made in their entire production run, and that was 1948 to 1972.

Chevrolet consistently out produced Ford by a wide margin. Except for 64.

obmesW7.png

• Like 4

There is one problem building this car.....

czlC10E.jpg

I purchased it to make a Junkyard example in Steve's Video, but look at it, all spik and span. Almost looks too

good to paint up as a rusty junker. The wheel trims, (US hubcaps) look nice don't they.

ldOxzum.png

Steve's car has no wheels let alone hub caps.

Edited by Sprocket
add picture
  • Like 3

I may do a side by side build with my resin Motorcycle and figure. I've superglued the first four parts together,

but this is all about the paint effects, so I'll build it alongside the 409, even though they are from different worlds.

one in Mad max Aussie outback, the other in Burgleson auto wrecking and parts in the USA. not sure I got the 

spelling of the town right, but I'm sure it's not Burbleson, as in Burbleson air force base from Dr Strangelove.

xLYRk2Y.png

the car body shell looks well formed.

xZFVty0.jpg

• Like 4

The engine block is a V8, the kit has several omissions that I am correcting, the dynamo/generator

is only held by the pulley wheel and fan belt, so I'm adding a metal band to go around it connected

to a bracket on the block, I'm adding the HT leads from the spark plugs to the Distributer cap, and

will add a lead from the distributer to to the Coil, they are just stretched sprue, bent and glued with

superglue.

1HptbFt.png

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... no rusty hulk Sprocket, 

Love to have a driveway with this on it ready for restoration, with surface patina, or a Texas suntan as Steve calls it.

A complete car with nothing missing but the 12V Battery and the insurance reminder in the glovebox. That's how I

envision this model, not a hopeless case in a junkyard, but one ripe for Restoration, that will some day go to car shows.

A bit like this one on Steve's Driveway.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

The engine block is a V8, the kit has several omissions that I am correcting, the dynamo/generator

is only held by the pulley wheel and fan belt, so I'm adding a metal band to go around it connected

to a bracket on the block, I'm adding the HT leads from the spark plugs to the Distributer cap, and

will add a lead from the distributer to to the Coil, they are just stretched sprue, bent and glued with

superglue.

1HptbFt.png

That 409 ci with the dual quads(twin 4 barrel Holley carbs)knocked out a juicy 425 hp and a stonking 400 ft lbs

of torque,not bad for 1962 eh.

Here we have a 62 Bel Air with that 409 and 4 speed Muncie M21,many were specc'ed with the 4 speed Muncie,

that lovely 409's 425 gee-gees get let out for a romp.Enjoy Sprockers.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Cor this is a car guys page if ever there was one

I for one have always had a thing for big inch Murrycan Muscle.

A bod I knew in the 70's had a Formula 400 Pontiac big block in a T-Bucket on side pipes,sounded well.

When Smokey and the Bandit was in vogue,there were a fair few 455 Trans-Am's knocking about too.

The blue suits it well mate.

• Like 1

the Mad Max motorcycle is coming along, both wheels on.

front_wheel_on_lelvfx.png

the final small parts still to fit, had to scan over the lot pictures to see where they go,

handlebars and foot guards. Superglue all the way. A is a spare sword, B I don't know yet

C foot guards, D left handlebars and bike stands E right handlebar.

small_parts_left_to_fit_oeisnb.png

handle_bars_hvcidt.png

• Like 3
On 1/25/2023 at 1:13 PM, Miggers said:

That 409 ci with the dual quads(twin 4 barrel Holley carbs)knocked out a juicy 425 hp and a stonking 400 ft lbs

of torque,not bad for 1962 eh.

Here we have a 62 Bel Air with that 409 and 4 speed Muncie M21,many were specc'ed with the 4 speed Muncie,

that lovely 409's 425 gee-gees get let out for a romp.Enjoy Sprockers.

Electric windows?  On that car, I consider it blasphemy. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

I liked that colour Sprocket :thumbsup:

That bike is growing on me :yes:, How about Gloss Black ?

mmmm, not gloss black, not dystopian enough, how about twenty shades of matt black with road dirt and dust in the gaps, she looks too busy fighting Bad Girl Gangs to find time to wash her machine down.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

220px-1979_Alien_Design.jpg

For the first two main films aye but the suit I seen from the third (Alien Cubed - there's so many other bits in the franchise I lost track after that) were multiple shades of brown with some muted tones of blues and reds mixed in.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Col. said:

For the first two main films aye but the suit I seen from the third (Alien Cubed - there's so many other bits in the franchise I lost track after that) were multiple shades of brown with some muted tones of blues and reds mixed in.

yes agreed, it lost it's way when you saw the whole creature, it looked like a guy in a suit. Mind you I can think of another Movie linked to the bike, well the rider, Brigette Nielson in Conan the Barbarian. edit to add, with less hair.

Edited by Sprocket
correction
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Mind you I can think of another Movie linked to the bike, well the rider, Brigette Nielson in Conan the Barbarian. edit to add, with less hair.

That's a good shout! The figure does have that look about it. Although I may have got distracted by thoughts of Sandahl Bergman...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1