Little Haven seaplane station, South Shields, ~1917

It says something about how long my ideas take to ferment that I can’t remember if I’ve shared this already so please accept my apologies if this is a rehash

At South Shields you can sometimes see the remains of structures leading into the sea at Little Haven beach inside the mouth of the Tyne. When the sand is shifted by storms you can see more of them and that they are two concrete and wood ramps

These are the only remaining parts of what was once a substantial seaplane station guarding against U-boats in the North Sea. 5 seaplane shed of various shapes with some lean-to annexes and ancillary buildings. A train line runs behind 

52639313727_106012296d_z.jpg

The main residents were Felixstowe F2A seaplanes

52639829936_281c555a50.jpg

Recreating it as best as I can from the assorted old photos, sketches and maps a google image search throws up has been rattling around in my head for a while 

I found some 1/100 Felixstowe F2As on thingiverse, downscaled to about 1/450 so that the overall model isn’t too big (I want to stay about 75cm square max) and printed them on the resin printer

I also looked at seaplane shed designs, drew up in Fusion 360 and modified to get the various layouts and annexes as far as I could match the old photos. I ran these off on the filament printer

52640084924_d699640763_b.jpg

Guddling about, slowly building up parts and laying out on cardboard

52639831256_58905f66ab_b.jpg

Then onto a sheet of plywood, adding a 3mm thick section of MDF for the concrete standings and 1.5mm thick section of MDF for sand

52640085119_83b8bf58ef_b.jpg

If I try and get a similar viewpoint to the first photo in this post taken from the air and looking north it is starting to looking fairly close in proportions and content

52640304258_0b91b868ea_b.jpg

• Like 12

That looks cool Lost Cossie :thumbsup:

A friend of mine lives in South Sheilds and my favorite comedienne is from there too. 

So once you've finished faffing around at 1/450 scale you could try a couple of wingnut ones and do it in 32nd scale. :1562769345_laugh(1):

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

That looks cool Lost Cossie :thumbsup:

A friend of mine lives in South Sheilds and my favorite comedienne is from there too. 

So once you've finished faffing around at 1/450 scale you could try a couple of wingnut ones and do it in 32nd scale. :1562769345_laugh(1):

Really? I lived there as well till a couple of years ago. Small world (especially at 1/450)

I may have accidentally have bought a 1/72 Roden F2A as well so there might be a larger seaplane shed in the offing as well 

53 minutes ago, Col. said:

Ooh this is going to be so cool! :thumbsup:

Well, the potential is there as long as I don’t cock up too badly

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

I may have accidentally have bought a 1/72 Roden F2A as well so there might be a larger seaplane shed in the offing as well 

When are you planning to get the Wingnut Wings 1/32nd scale kit? :popcorn:

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

Really? I lived there as well till a couple of years ago. Small world (especially at 1/450)

There's a lot of us about, I had a lot of family in Bede*/South Shields but I was accidentally born on the other side of the river, in Preston Hospital which doesn't exist any more.

Andy

* We got off the Metro at Bede, walked up past the Barbour factory and my dad's mam lived just off the roundabout where Leam Lane turned into John Reid Road.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

Really? I lived there as well 

8 hours ago, Tolvcat said:

There's a lot of us about, I had a lot of family in Bede*/South Shields 

I have no idea whereabouts Dan lives. He did tell me once, but it came out like gun daaan tru raaand oot im aboot like, but doon rooond aaaart oot ney man, aboot booon raand it, south shields, champion

In the times where he is more lucid, i got he lives a stones throw from the seafront. :analintruder:

• Haha 4

Hebburn lad here, spent many a day on that beach eating sand and egg sambidges and plodging in the sea in the trunks me mam knitted for me. Was always a bit wary of that decommisioned sea mine they had at the end of the pier.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

gun daaan tru raaand oot im aboot like, but doon rooond aaaart oot ney man, aboot booon raand it, south shields, champion

maks porrfect sense ta me.

• Haha 4

Very impressive LC, Very Impressive :thumbsup:

I like that :analintruder:

btw, meant to ask you the other day... what happened to the depressingly boring scenic shots you used to bore the pants of us with?

Has your little island become that boring it doesn't even warrant the likes of us seeing them :no: 

• Haha 3