How do I upload an image?

Question

I know it's really obvious when I get told, but I can never, ever remember how to upload an image. The edit box offers a link option but that has to have already been uploaded somewhere else. Drag-and-drop does nothing, copy/paste refuses and tells me I have to upload or link it but doesn't say how. How do I upload an image here?

And please, please can some more visible hook be added to the standard options, so I don't have to keep asking again and again?

Edited by steelpillow

I'm surprised that drag and drop isn't working for you as I occasionally use that if I only have one or two photos.

I use    https://imgbox.com/      and once the pic is uploaded it is a simple system. Open the photo ,right click , copy image address and paste in forum.

@Gorby will be along shortly as he wrote a good article on it.

• Like 1

I mean direct upload to here, NOT linking to something uploaded elsewhere.

Ways that don't work for me include:

• copy-paste the image file from a folder and into the edit box. This will likely receive a "You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL." message in a black bar.
  • copy-paste from an image viewer into the edit box. This will be ignored.
  • drag-and-drop the file or displayed image into the edit box. This will be ignored.
  • drag-and-drop the image, be it from file or from display, onto the edge of the page next to the edit window. This may appear to work, but when I hit the Save button, only this ext gets saved.

Weird. Maybe this is because I am using Linux, not Windows or MacOS.

Or, is it that the the little message is misleading about the "upload or" bit, and we do have to use a file hosting service?

Edited by steelpillow

I would like to clear up some confusion that has arisen here.

Firstly, uploading files is not enabled for members and therefore secondly yes, you do need to use file hosting. In anticipation of the next question (why?), I can't really provide an answer, but this forum is hosted on servers that are part of a wider group and I would imagine that the overall policy would be that uploading files is a function not available to members. It's quite possible that Linux users might have functionality visible that's not actually available.  

• Thanks 4

Thanks, Paul. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Ideally, that little message ought to be changed to reflect the actual permissions granted.

Anyway, I'll upload 'em to my own web space and link there. So much neater than all these image hosting "services".

Edited by steelpillow
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

Now trying to post an image from Scalemates, but the Insert Image from URL tool goes red and refuses to put up the image.

Somewhere recently, maybe here maybe not, I could do that and the Scalemates site would add a banner to the image for attribution.

Not happening now. Can we normally link to images on Scalemates, and is there a trick to it?

The image in question is:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/2/0/7/104207-10571-pristine.jpg

Edited by steelpillow
17 minutes ago, steelpillow said:

Now trying to post an image from Scalemates, but the Insert Image from URL tool goes red and refuses to put up the image.

Somewhere recently, maybe here maybe not, I could do that and the Scalemates site would add a banner to the image for attribution.

Not happening now. Can we normally link to images on Scalemates, and is there a trick to it?

The image in question is:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/2/0/7/104207-10571-pristine.jpg

All that gives me is a page entitled "404 image not found"

1 hour ago, steelpillow said:

I've noticed in the last couple of months that I can't post links directly from Scalemates now. I used to do it quite frequently so it is annoying.

I assumed it was just me. I'll try it again:

https://www.scalemates.com/albums/img/7/0/7/352707-20442-68-pristine.jpg

I'll contact Tim on Scalemates and see if it's been done deliberately.

When I click on my link it takes me to smaller version of the photo. Is that the same for anyone else?

Just thought, both SP and myself are Linux users, it would be useful to know if Windows or Mac users also can't upload photos from Scalemates.

31 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Just thought, both SP and myself are Linux users, it would be useful to know if this is a problem for Windows or Mac users before I mention it to Tim.

I'm currently on Windows, same result with Firefox and Chrome.

1 minute ago, Long said:

I'm a member but I haven't posted any photos.

If you have time could you please try copying an image address of a new kit (or anything else) and trying to post it here? 

Posted (edited)

That's odd. This one is coming out all stretched. Someone somewhere is pressing buttons, methinks. This image renders fine when I paste it into the GIMP, so the stretch is an error in the specified height. It's a shame we can't see/edit the actual page text markup for our posts, as that might help track down the source of the software bug. This "we're-so-smart-you-don't need-to-be" attitude on the part of hosting site developers is just so typical - and just so stupidly arrogant (I speak as a sometime techy in the enemy ranks, there).

Boxart Mirage IV P 7221 A&A Models

Edited by steelpillow
  • Like 1