Tamiya 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw-190 D-9 (61081)

Just now, BlackMike Models said:

It's not one of Tamiya's best kits (accuracy wise) but you've turned it out very nicely indeed.

Duncan B

Just shows how naive I am, always thought Tamiya were bombproof. What are the issues please Duncan?

1 minute ago, DC3 said:

Just shows how naive I am, always thought Tamiya were bombproof. What are the issues please Duncan?

The wheels (too small) and the wheel wells (enclosed) are wrong for the Dora. It's by no means a kit to avoid but there are now more accurate kits out there for less than Tamiya prices. I have one here that I use as a paint mule.

Duncan B

Just now, BlackMike Models said:

The wheels (too small) and the wheel wells (enclosed) are wrong for the Dora. It's by no means a kit to avoid but there are now more accurate kits out there for less than Tamiya prices. I have one here that I use as a paint mule.

Duncan B

cheers, which alternate would you recommend.?

Just now, DC3 said:

cheers, which alternate would you recommend.?

I enjoyed the Eduard one, the Weekend edition or a Revell rebox can be had cheaply enough. it's not without it's faults either and is a more fiddly build than the Tamiya but does look the part. Alternatively go for the Tamiya and get a set of after market wheels if you are not bothered about the closed off wheel wells, it's a quick and painless build.

Duncan B

2 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

I enjoyed the Eduard one, the Weekend edition or a Revell rebox can be had cheaply enough. it's not without it's faults either and is a more fiddly build than the Tamiya but does look the part. Alternatively go for the Tamiya and get a set of after market wheels if you are not bothered about the closed off wheel wells, it's a quick and painless build.

Duncan B

thanks