Tamiya Alpine A110

I have a soft spot for small sports cars with modest sized engines and this one is a particularly pretty example. It was built by Alpine using mostly Renault mechnicals and after Renault boought the company in 1971, they continued to use it as their factory car winning two Monte Carlo rallies and then the inaugural World Rally Championship in 1973, when the old manufacturer's championship was revamped and relaunched.

The kit. I'm pleased the body shell is pre-coloured because 1. I bought the wrong colour paint, and 2. I'm terrible at gloss. The interior will be painted over in the semi-gloss black that should have been metallic blue. The too shiny chrome will remain too shiny and toy like. I'll maybe experiment with stripping and repainting if this build is fun enough to encourage a repeat.

wLD4iA9.jpg

Instructions are typical Tamiya, so any problemswill be my own. There's a sheet of decals giving options for two of the cars from the 1971  Monte Carlo rally. There's also some chrome stickers just visible in the pic above that are already giving me side eyes.

OcMjAyk.jpg

I can almost see the bench these days, so a start looks imminent. Allons-y as The Doctor says.

Andy

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hope there's plenty seat adjustment in the team cars...

Well,if they're as tight as Mclaren F1(we did some for them a couple of years ago),we won't get to see if they'll fit cars.

AFAIK,it's spares,tyres,etc,all the junk that follows F1 teams around the races.

So far thisis being very Tamiya - beautiful engineering which is making it a joy to build. That metallic blue plastic is a sod to paint over though, and shows through in photos where it doesn't to the naked eye. Perhaps I should make the rest of this text and you can come round at look at it later?

Anyhoo, the next two stages were to attach the front suspension mount and then add the rear suspension arms, engine, half shafts and rear brakes in about that order. There's lots of semi-gloss black next to matt black which hides a load of lovely detail, so I did a quick aluminium dry brush to highlight what didn't stand out (never mind accuracy, this is art baby) and swapped the matt black for dark grey plus a Nuln Oil wash. I'm happy with the results, and that's what counts, right?

5zb7SbC.jpg4

Amongst my paints I have titanium silver and flat aluminium but not chrome silver so I used a GW metallic for the brake discs and they seem fine with it. See the blue showing through on the end of the Belt Driven Turny Thing? I'll have another daub before the next instalment.

hbZbSuE.jpg

More later.

Andy

• Like 3
15 hours ago, TimJ said:

Nice work on the engine. I'll be watching this as I have on in the stash. 

The next stage after my pictures involves fitting the lower rear suspension frames. Two parts fit together then attach to:

1. the rear chassis rails

2. little stubs on the chassis just in front of the suspension with tiny holes to accept equally tiny pins on the frame

3. a pin on the rear top of the wheel mount (DON'T trim this thinking it's a bit of excess sprue, it's really not) and

4. a dangling pin on the top suspension swing arm. That's on each side at the same time :o 😢 

Uncle Tamiya doesn't allow for sloppy fit and wiggle room - every piece of that rear suspension has to be exactly in place or that last frame will be an absolute devil to fit. Lovely feeling once it finally does though and you know everything is square and true.

You can cover a multitude of sins and sticky finger marks with more semi gloss black afterwards so only you will know :D 

Andy

• Haha 4