Bandai 1/20 Nausicaa on Kai

This is a fairly old build of mine, one of Bandai's quartet of kits depicting the character of Princess Nausicaa from Hayao Miyazaki's manga and early Ghibli anime film, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Set in a post-apocalyptic world, where the land is slowly being swallowed up by a growing fungoid 'Toxic Jungle', Nausicaa is a messiah-like figure whose actions in the story eventually determine mankind's future. An outdoorsy type, if she's not flitting around on her glider or pushing her agenda in a powerful gunship, she is riding her horseclaw Kai as depicted in this kit.

The kit was a pretty simple build and had obviously been designed with children in mind, my effort was to paint it up in a more 'realistic' manner (relatively speaking). My main bugbear was her big manga eyes, which came as decals. I painted over the lower edges a little to make them a bit smaller. Also I added ergonomic stirrup straps and a rifle sling. Otherwise the kit was built 'out-of-the-box'.

IMG-4379.jpg

IMG-4393.jpg

IMG-4378.jpg

IMG-4394.jpg

IMG-4381.jpg

Edited by Bespel
  • Like 3