@Mad Steveis right, it is time I built a bike, although that wasn't this evening's plan. I was waiting for the glue to cure on something else and happened to open this box

2022-04-13_09-18-44

An hour later this had happened 

20221106_222701

The first ten bits cleaned up and glued together. Well it's harder for the carpet monster to steal one big bit than many little ones, right? The main parts took a wee bit of cleaning up around their edges to get good fit but nothing excessive and a chunk of scrap plastic has been glued in to fill a hole above the oil filter housing before that gets added.

The next step would be to add the front sprocket cover but...

20221106_224759

It's a bit shiny. So a quick bath in bleach later...

20221106_225608

That's better :)

So there we have it. A start has been made to my first bike build in far too long.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Gorby said:

Oh, another scooter. A white one. :|

Yes and no Gorbs; another scooter but it won't be white. Exact colour-scheme is not as yet finalised but not white. Thinking black and gunmetal or deep reds or a copper. Maybe. I resprayed most of my own bikes along with many others for friends and customers at my dad's garage so will do something that harks back to those days. Might even get around to recreating the Aliens-inspired lid I painted up for a mate as an accessory to this project but given I've not actually got a clear image in my mind of exactly how this one will look when finished we're all on a voyage of discovery here ;) 

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

Col? I know it's hard to say goodbye but I think it's time you give your cutting mat a decent burial. 

What!?! No! No no no no no. This cutting mat has 'character' don't you know? I could call this cutting mat contemporary art and give it a pretentious explanation then charge some clown millions for it when hung in the Tate Modern :D In actual fact I've a new one to replace it with but as you can see haven't bothered yet.

4 hours ago, Mish said:

Or turn it over like wot I do...

I could do that as well Mish but that would require clearing up all the cuttings and detritus littering its periphery first :blush:

• Haha 3

Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwell Col...... :thumbsup:

A nice one to turn into a cafe racer, good one

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Your cutting mat is considered messy? Ooooooh they aven't lived ave they... There's still plenty of the base colour visible, and then you turn it over.. another 10 years :w00t:

• Haha 3

Beware!

The following post contains photos of a messy cutting mat that may offend those of a sensitive disposition.

While the painted engine takes its sweet time to dry I started tinkering with other bit of the bike. The fuel tank halves were glued together and set aside

20221109_202149

Next for attention was the carburettor mounts and airbox part. A quick look at some internet photos confirmed the mounts were fitted with Jubilee Clips at either end so an attempt was made to represent those with a thin strip of plasticard wrapped around and glued into position then cut to leave a small tail and a piece of thin rod glued on to suggest the adjuster screw. The tank seam has also been smoothed out and the side panels removed

20221110_071111

20221110_071134

The airbox will be removed in due course after I've made four separate air filters. That'll be fun...

Edited by Col.
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Col. said:

Beware!

The following post contains photos of a messy cutting mat that may offend those of a sensitive disposition.

:o

Is there a helpline I could phone to help me overcome the trauma? 

• Haha 3
20 hours ago, Gorby said:

:o

Is there a helpline I could phone to help me overcome the trauma? 

Samatirans, that little know branch of the Samaritans, perhaps?

20 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Nice start Col. I like the jubilee clips idea :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve :D 

Here's how it all looks now with the carbs on

20221111_070316

My initial attempt at representing the air filters didn't go well

20221111_070754

Let's call that a first draft and the bottom of the learning curve.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Col. said:

Samatirans, that little know branch of the Samaritans, perhaps?

I was hoping for something a little more cutting mat specific.:yes:

The engine looks good. I've just had a look to see what a filter should look like and it look like a difficult scratch job. I think the way I'd try is by folding tiny pleats into a piece of cone shaped paper. Not sure how big it is so I don't know how possible that would be.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Gorby said:

I've just had a look to see what a filter should look like and it look like a difficult scratch job. I think the way I'd try is by folding tiny pleats into a piece of cone shaped paper. Not sure how big it is so I don't know how possible that would be.

The maximum available space I have to work in is about 7mm, a little over quarter of an inch, long Gorbs so there's not a lot of room to play in. Was actually thinking about folding some paper as an option but getting it to form a cone and not crease too sharply was giving me cause for concern. The other options are to go with either a 'pancake' rather than conical filter or have a go at making the sponge type ones. Let's see what a couple more goes at this produce first.

2 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Those airfilters are an absoloute bugger to make, in fact Ive never even tried to do one. Ill bet you can get resin AM ones :whistle:

I've not seen any yet Steve :( Although I have found etched metal chains...

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Don't listen Col! He's trying to lead you astray. :yes:

Oh I'm eminently lead astrayable :D

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

How'bout a street fighter rather than a caff racer Col.

b4c43ab80437b552831d7ba7b3b0d9d8.jpg

Never been a big fan of that style to be honest Miggs although it may tempt me in a future project. 'Cause of course I don't have enough crazy schemes and ideas running amok in my head already :yes:

• Like 2
On 11/11/2022 at 20:25, Gorby said:

Another way you could scrath it is to use a plastic cone as a central core, then use very thin strips (or thin stretched sprue) along the length of the cone.

That's a far smarter idea than any I've had on the subject Gorbs and one that will be tried in due course. Thank you :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Miggers said:

These are STL files for 3D printers for various types of air filters.

I one of our 3D printer owning friends has the right software,STL files can be manipulated to produce

the size of item that you want,i.e,scale it up or down.

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/air-filter-car

Hmmm, interesting suggestion Miggs, another reason to get myself a 3D printer...

In the meantime, however, I've tried something else

20221112_103028

'Pancake' type filters. Yes I know they look rough but remember this photo shows them considerably bigger than life-size and in reality they're about 5mm long :on2long: Plan is to make two more then paint them up to see how they look. If they're not too terrible I'll use the best two for number one and four cylinders and put the rougher pair on two and three to stay partly shielded from view by all the surrounding bits of motorbike.

• Like 4

It's messy mat time again gang :D

Got the filters finished and fitted then began tinkering with the swing arm - lovely set of sink marks to be delt with first

20221114_175947

Rummaging in a box of spares bought from eBay revealed these parts, most of which I think to be from an RC30 kit

20221114_191656

Sadly I can't yet find a source for spare tyres to use with the wheels but the forks, yokes, and brake discs all look to have promise for updating the front end.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 3