This made a brief appearance in the Aircraft WiP forum. It also made an appearance at IPMS North Riding possibly the last time I was there so the last time I saw Paul. Seems only right it should get finished here then.

This is where I'm at. Airframe is pretty much together, painted and decalled. Undersides, easy to knock off bits and canopy to add to get it done. I took my paint colours from a reply to a request for info that Nick Millman gave in the days when he still haunted forums, backed up with info from a book he did. Main colour is Tamiya XF76, which Mr M said is a pretty good match for Amber Grey that has been in the field a few months and started to chalk and wear. This aircraft was based on Taiwan and was already a veteran from China. The aircraft used the same day at Pearl Harbour were factory fresh, meticulously maintained and looked it.

The Japanese used two different reds, one for Hinomaru and one for unit markings and stencils that was slightly darker.  In use, the Hinomaru red darkened as it weathered until it looked the same as the stencil colour - note the wing markings on mine are slightly darker than the fuselage as they get more sun exposure (Eduard covered this in their first Zero release and it was an argument about the discrepancy that led me to check - they were right, the 'expert' over the road was wrong. Who knew?).

Enough waffle (mmmm, waffles). Pictures, right?

wRXvPWF.jpg

nBSLUgz.jpg

Took some sprue shots but they're not nearly as interesting so I'll leave them for now.  Think this one stalled because of the canopy - the Japanese hadn't yet got round to one piece blown perspex hoods and they're an absolute pig to brush paint. However, nothing ventured...

Andy

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, Col. said:

This one looks great so far Andy. At least the Airfix kit has fairly pronounced framing that can help with cutting masks if you wanted to do it.

Thanks. I'm hoping a steady hand, a small brush and infinite patience will work on that framing. Some other brands with finer detail are an absolute 'mare to tackle.

Andy

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tolvcat said:

Thanks. I'm hoping a steady hand, a small brush and infinite patience will work on that framing. Some other brands with finer detail are an absolute 'mare to tackle.

Andy

Avoid caffeine in the prior 24 hours to help steady your hand. It's a rough job, but someone has to do it.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

This doesn't look like much progress, but that canopy was the major sticking point. I had at it and it looked terrible. I was playing around with varnish and slapped some over the canopy, and it took the gloss off enough for paint to stick so I had another go and it's much better. All done freehand with a small brush, gritted teeth and the odd word stronger than Damn!!

Stuck a wash on too, just enough to give some interest and vary the tone. Undercarriage and prop to go and it'll be done.

fH3YI8m.jpg

Andy

Edited by Tolvcat
  • Like 7

I'm going to try a couple of old canopies to see if I can get a consistent result, but for an old school painter like me, matting down the whole thing makes a world of difference to the ease of painting the frames. I've glossed the glass panels afterwards and the whole thing isn't too bad. Much quicker and easier than trying to mask then paint half a dozen coats so something sticks to the shiny plastic.

Andy

• Like 2
On 24/10/2022 at 15:33, Tolvcat said:

The Japanese used two different reds, one for Hinomaru and one for unit markings and stencils that was slightly darker.  In use, the Hinomaru red darkened as it weathered until it looked the same as the stencil colour - note the wing markings on mine are slightly darker than the fuselage as they get more sun exposure (Eduard covered this in their first Zero release and it was an argument about the discrepancy that led me to check - they were right, the 'expert' over the road was wrong. Who knew?).

Enough waffle (mmmm, waffles). Pictures, right?

No, no, no. It’s the facts that are wrong!

Don't you love an expert and their unshakable beliefs? That place is full of them and I don’t miss ‘em. I remember when I posted my Halifax diorama, two pages it ran to, not a peep from the self-appointed resident Halifax guru in there.

Very nice Zero indeed and gold medal for the steadiness of your hand.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

That looks very nice Andy :thumbsup:

I believe that there's someone on here that does some rather spiffy canopy masks.... (Grunhertz) 

I dont know if he does the 72 zero but you could always bug him to :) 

Cool, might need a bulk order. I've got another four 1/72 ones to do (so far) and eleven (!!! where on earth did they all come from?) 1/48 ones.

Must be quantam or something - how can a zero sum be 16???

Andy

• Haha 5