Local WW II history

I came across some photos of the local area when looking for other stuff and decided that it needs a separate thread.

Within a 20 mile radius of where I now live in Sandbank there were many things going on.

Royal Navy Beach Commandoes are not too well known but they had a training base at Ardentinny. This was HMS Armadillo and only some brick bases and a memorial tells you that anything was ever there. It is now a popular beach and picnic area

4vOjqew4_o.jpgjHoq9x4D_o.jpg

tWpWNNIn_o.jpg

Combined forces training took place at Inveraray, Castle Toward and Tighnabruaich

VdzteYyP_o.jpg

kD9zS6e7_o.jpg

EsaeBPQ8_o.jpg

4FGFRyWz_o.jpg

CdPRfpQ7_o.jpg

RFV0jkr2_o.jpg

mRg86ByL_o.jpg

JmHk9qN0_o.jpg

IXiRIsnz_o.jpg

hcb0Ke73_o.jpg

8LWRLteG_o.jpg

The Clyde was guarded by  boom nets across from Cloch lighthouse to Dunoon

3NRgfgih_o.jpg

There were submarine bases at Rothesay and the Holy Loch

j9jbW6DY_o.jpg

o0ZgJ03b_o.jpg

ZWagXzjW_o.jpg

klZsTdYK_o.jpg

I now live in the area just above the 2 moored boats on the top right

RPpTSxpi_o.jpg

The Holy Loch is usually associated with the USN and the Polaris submarines (and their successors) from 1964 to 1992 but what is not well known is that in 1941 , US Navy Base 2 was set up at Roseneath. This became the home of Submarine Squadron 50.

acGKwSkr_o.jpg

PMOp0n8f_o.jpg

Not too many photos of that period around. Here's a painting

GxkJTJL9_o.jpg

Loch Striven Glen Caladh and Rothesay Bay also saw some strange stuff

34STsWB9_o.jpg

3I4aFYD6_o.jpg

Nsd7xd4H_o.jpg

MCrkWemJ_o.jpg

SHBSXVRn_o.jpg

Loch Striven also featured in 'Highball' trials

The target ship was the old French dreadnought  Courbet and later a monitor (will add name later) which is still on the bottom of the loch.

RncDDk1o_o.jpg

QUtRNmvH_o.jpg

6MVSbcxt_o.jpg

BydaZPmd_o.png

After the war had finished these trials continued on behalf of the MAEE then based at Helensburgh.

Sadly seconds after the second photo was taken the aircraft crashed killing the crew. The wave from the bomb struck the aircraft causing the port wing to come off.

fg2Tsmaj_o.jpg

QPZm8xJQ_o.jpg

That's it for now. Will add more later if there is any interest.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, RWG686 said:

and later a monitor (will add name later)

This may be wrong

The Courbet was towed south and used as a blockship for the Mulberry Harbour

HMS Malaya

bb_hms_malaya.jpg

replaced her but she was holed in one of the attacks and withdrawn for repairs and use as a bombardment ship on D-day.

The only info I can find of wrecks still off Brackley point are an MTB, a barge and a landing craft.

There must have been another target ship as the trials continued after the war had finished. 

The Mosquito crash was preceded by a Wellington (NA929) crash. It was operating on trials for MAEE but not Highball . Summary of accident:

Written off (destroyed) 17-10-1945 whilst in low level flight (at approximately 50 feet); a depth charge was released during Depth charge dropping trials and exploded prematurely, damaging the aircraft, which dived into the sea at Brodick Bay, Isle of Arran. Aircraft was operated by the MAEE (Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment) at Helensburgh, Dunbartonshire. All three crew killed:

This article

http://www.helensburgh-heritage.co.uk/index.php/heritage/military/1566-lives-lost-in-final-maee-trials

leads me to think  that it might have been the tail which came off the Mosquito rather than the wing.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I came across some photos of the local area when looking for other stuff and decided that it needs a separate thread.

Within a 20 mile radius of where I now live in Sandbank there were many things going on.

Royal Navy Beach Commandoes are not too well known but they had a training base at Ardentinny. This was HMS Armadillo and only some brick bases and a memorial tells you that anything was ever there. It is now a popular beach and picnic area

4vOjqew4_o.jpgjHoq9x4D_o.jpg

tWpWNNIn_o.jpg

Combined forces training took place at Inveraray, Castle Toward and Tighnabruaich

VdzteYyP_o.jpg

kD9zS6e7_o.jpg

EsaeBPQ8_o.jpg

4FGFRyWz_o.jpg

CdPRfpQ7_o.jpg

RFV0jkr2_o.jpg

mRg86ByL_o.jpg

JmHk9qN0_o.jpg

IXiRIsnz_o.jpg

hcb0Ke73_o.jpg

8LWRLteG_o.jpg

The Clyde was guarded by  boom nets across from Cloch lighthouse to Dunoon

3NRgfgih_o.jpg

There were submarine bases at Rothesay and the Holy Loch

j9jbW6DY_o.jpg

o0ZgJ03b_o.jpg

ZWagXzjW_o.jpg

klZsTdYK_o.jpg

I now live in the area just above the 2 moored boats on the top right

RPpTSxpi_o.jpg

The Holy Loch is usually associated with the USN and the Polaris submarines (and their successors) from 1964 to 1992 but what is not well known is that in 1941 , US Navy Base 2 was set up at Roseneath. This became the home of Submarine Squadron 50.

acGKwSkr_o.jpg

PMOp0n8f_o.jpg

Not too many photos of that period around. Here's a painting

GxkJTJL9_o.jpg

Loch Striven Glen Caladh and Rothesay Bay also saw some strange stuff

34STsWB9_o.jpg

3I4aFYD6_o.jpg

Nsd7xd4H_o.jpg

MCrkWemJ_o.jpg

SHBSXVRn_o.jpg

Loch Striven also featured in 'Highball' trials

The target ship was the old French dreadnought  Courbet and later a monitor (will add name later) which is still on the bottom of the loch.

RncDDk1o_o.jpg

QUtRNmvH_o.jpg

6MVSbcxt_o.jpg

BydaZPmd_o.png

After the war had finished these trials continued on behalf of the MAEE then based at Helensburgh.

Sadly seconds after the second photo was taken the aircraft crashed killing the crew. The wave from the bomb struck the aircraft causing the port wing to come off.

fg2Tsmaj_o.jpg

QPZm8xJQ_o.jpg

That's it for now. Will add more later if there is any interest.

orsum

• Like 1

Interesting stuff Richard.

Of course Cov is best known in the war for the Luftwaffe coming over to make some improvements to the city centre.

Thought I'd get that in before Mr Mad got a chance. :smiling:

• Haha 2

Excellent Rich.

I'm always interested in landing craft stuff,especially LCM's and also MTB's.

As I've mentioned before,my father's elder brother was an RM in MTB's,then LCM's on D-Day itself.

Details are pretty sketchy about him really,post war he went back to teaching,going on to be the

headmaster of the local secondary school.

His name is pretty well known and revered locally.

• Like 1

Not much WW2 History round where I live except Krugersdorp Airfield, they apparently had Tiger Moth Trainers there early in the war. 

Further back in history, there is still an intact British Blockhouse from the Anglo Boer war just up the road. 

• Like 3