1/72 Hasegawa F-14A -VF-1 Wolfpack 1990

Hello, been a while so I guess it's time to start a build. I have a 1/72 Hasegawa 2nd generation kit, the one from the late 1980s with the operational swing wing. I have someDXM after market decals and will be doing a 1990 jet from the USS Ranger 1990 cruise. Here is my start, so far I have the cockpit interior in the fuselage halfs.

BBSM7Vx.jpg

0SS6lR3.jpg

D2Fn8TQ.jpg

xzzkhke.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, I have the wings and body assembled and the nose with some weight added to the forward fuselage. I also started making ejection seat pull rings for the seat headrests as the kit supplies none. I won't add these right away as they are an accident waiting to happen, I always knock them off so I will wait until I am ready to add the canopy.

j8p7mWC.jpg

OZt8CpD.jpg

QJv8zMK.jpg

Edited by orion
  • Like 3

Thanks, I just noticed in reference photos some lumps and bumps on the wings near the intakes. The picture is of the jet I am modeling in 1990. I did some Googling and they are ECM blisters on the wing near the intake and forward wing above the intake warning triangle, see attached image. I have a newer mold 1/72 Hasegawa F-14A currently on hold which I am doing as an early  '70s jet and the kit includes the larger ECM bumps so I will "borrow" them from that kit as they are not needed on the early version. I will check my spares box for the smaller bump or some material to scratch build one from.

eOg1Xfr.jpg

• Like 2

I added the ECM bumps from the new mold Hasegawa F-14A kit to the inside of the vanes and found some smaller bumps from a 1/72 Haseagawa F/A-18C kit in my spares box that just needed shortening to work. I also added the forward Phoenix pylons and ventral fins.

WI1jYh2.jpg

SQnO6K2.jpg

• Like 5

I had some more puttying so I decided to try and make burnt iron for the exhaust nozzles. I liked the old Model Master burnt iron but it is no longer available so I am experimenting, I mixed some Vallejo Model Color paint, the mixture is 1 part flat black, 1 part blue gun metal and 2 parts red brown. It looks good but we'll see when it dries how it looks.

580NrbX.jpg

Edited by orion
  • Like 5

Does the kit give you the option of fully open nozzles? If so, and if you're intending to display it with gear down, you may be interested in one of the tomcat's little quirks. During the shut down procedure, the left engine is shut down first, and the hydraulic system closes the nozzle. When the right engine is shut down, the hydraulic system shuts down as well, leaving the right nozzle open.

• Like 2

Thanks, most that I modeled were as you said, one nozzle closed and one open. This kit has both open and closed nozzles. I was looking through my reference books and found a couple of pictures with both nozzles closed and decided to do something different so this will have both closed. All the F-14As I have seen at airshows were as you described.

5 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

leaving the right nozzle open.

You are never too old to learn something!

Mind you I've never seen an F-14 close up, just on  carrier decks at a distance.

@orion

You are a bad influence. You've got me eyeing up my only Tomcat in the stash (Italeri) :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just as a note long ago and far away you could NOT model a Tomcat this way. The first Tomcat I built was the 1/48 Revellogram F-14A in Ghost Riders scheme and it came with 2 open nozzles only. ☹️

I2aoM8s.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, orion said:

Just as a note long ago and far away you could NOT model a Tomcat this way. The first Tomcat I built was the 1/48 Revellogram F-14A in Ghost Riders scheme and it came with 2 open nozzles only. ☹️

I2aoM8s.jpg

At least back then aeroplane kits typically came with pilots and an option to do it in-flight.

• Like 2

Yup, with the exception of my 1/72 Monogram F-4J Phantom II. I was rather saddened when I opened the box and discovered 1 seated pilot and 1 standing holding his helmet in his hand! That had to be one of THE BEST phantom kits with the correct NAVAL rear seat instruments but no 2 seated pilots. ☹️

H0NCbgh.jpg

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

I have the masks removed and added the exhausts and started some of the detail painting. I still have the wing leading edges to do along with the wing seal inflatable bags. Also I need to spray the horizontal stabilizers and paint the gear doors and red edges.

hLNBxbu.jpg

• Like 3