Gargantuan goings-on in Gargunnock

6 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

it must be

Our posts overlapped. I saw you'd posted as I was typing.

I have an old Italeri Osprey kit which I might turn into a Shearwater MPS Mk 2. if Ms Quimby agrees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No. They stay as they are as F-K did considerable tests in the tank at Glen Fruin. You see, if you throw a stone into a bucket of water, the ripples spread outwards. He found if you throw an A400M prop into a very big bucket of water, the ripples also spread outwards. He also found that this caused considerable strain to his back but was worth it in the end because Ms Quimby gave a very good massage finally he had proved his theory.

That's why both props go outwards.

• Haha 3
26 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

the Test Pilot refused to take it up.

Wrong.

It happens tomorrow and tomorrow for us on the correct side of the pond happens first so you can't know.

Gregor F-K did extensive research in the simulator aided by a special import test subject from Japan.

TmJJnxkU_o.jpg

In any case Ms Quimby herself is an experienced pilot

RvfcrRcR_o.jpg

but she was not parting with her Louboutins so she asked her sister to take on the job.

yTV3pZzv_o.jpg

Anyway..we won't know what happens because...

505ad3c84cc53ef72fe113191580a23c--vintag

• Haha 4
5 hours ago, Gorby said:

From a pile of random bits you've ended up with a believable looking aircraft.

Obviously the engines have the, up to now secret, new Scotlandish technology of 'Bagpipe-jets' where the output is ten times more dreadful powerful than the input. :yes:

Believable - until you start to look closer…then closer…then closer still 🤣🤪🤩.

Terrific job, @RWG686, it has a certain je ne sais crois…

• Like 3
13 hours ago, RWG686 said:

In any case Ms Quimby herself is an experienced pilot

RvfcrRcR_o.jpg

but she was not parting with her Louboutins so she asked her sister to take on the job.

As Kirsty MacColl sang, "In these shoes? I don't think so!"

• Haha 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 1:57 PM, RWG686 said:

The moderators however decided that we were all trying to bypass the swear filter for the forum and shut the thread down.

As might be expected, I managed to sneak a few obscure mild swearywords in - none of which involved FK (see Frederick Koolhoven, Dutch designer for Armstrong Whitworth, designed the FK3 and FK8 WW1 observation aircraft) - and none of which were ever spotted. I think I'm one of the few participant who weren't removed.

A pity their moderators took umbrage - there was some comedy gold therein.

Right...back to page 2 here and I'll try to catch up

• Like 3

I see a problem. This aircraft is configured as a pusher:

m2K8Ipje_o.jpg

But swivelling the engines up to take off just means that you're pushing it onto the runway harder than ever, not off. Conversely, if the proprotors are set to provide lift when they're vertical, then they'll produce immense drag when rotated to the horizontal unless you point them to the pointy end where the drivers sit.

CEwusUaU_o.jpg

I think of these things because I'm an aviation safety professional. Don't do this at home, kids. It ruins the fun.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

I see a problem.

Good grief.😱

Ydstitle.jpg

Look at my heading tag.

IT'S A BIT OF FUN.

It isn't meant to be a lesson in the theory of flight for helicopters or tilt rotorcraft so you can chill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

m2K8Ipje_o.jpg

But swivelling the engines up to take off just means that you're pushing it onto the runway harder than ever, not off. Conversely, if the proprotors are set to provide lift when they're vertical, then they'll produce immense drag when rotated to the horizontal unless you point them to the pointy end where the drivers sit.

CEwusUaU_o.jpg

I think of these things because I'm an aviation safety professional. Don't do this at home, kids. It ruins the fun.

:no: there are just no words.... 

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

m2K8Ipje_o.jpg

CEwusUaU_o.jpg

Ah, perfect, but this doesn't show the full range of capabilities of this remarkable craft - some changes made by Featherstone-Kite's Dutch chief assistant (temporary) designer Dokter Doet Weinig, enabled the, er, rotary elevators 'rotovators' to be manoeuvred independently. When disembarking troops and equipment under fire, the provision of spring-loaded doors enabled unloading to be achieved very speedily by setting one rotovator in 'forward' mode and the other in 'pusher', both at full power. Thusly, troops could be rapidly deployed in a defensive ring around the drop zone - indeed, quite some considerable distance from the 'aircraft' depending on the power setting selected.

Sadly, the design development was halted when the Dutch designer was badly injured in a mid-Ayr collision with a old Fokker on the Prestwick by-pass.

(should there be any doubt about the veracity of the above ending, here is a picture of three old Fokkers at Prestwick...)

y4mjEz2rJf2s-efDDdKveqPabOkTjST52C_y0tud

Edited by Che Guava
  • Haha 8
27 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

Ah, perfect, but this doesn't show the full range of capabilities of this remarkable craft - some changes made by Featherstone-Kite's Dutch chief assistant (temporary) designer Dokter Doet Weinig, enabled the, er, rotary elevators 'rotovators' to be manoeuvred independently. When disembarking troops and equipment under fire, the provision of spring-loaded doors enabled unloading to be achieved very speedily by setting one rotovator in 'forward' mode and the other in 'pusher', both at full power. Thusly, troops could be rapidly deployed in a defensive ring around the drop zone - indeed, quite some considerable distance from the 'aircraft' depending on the power setting selected.

Please don't. Some clown in Whitehall will think this is a good idea and try implementing it.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Col. said:

Please don't. Some clown in Whitehall will think this is a good idea and try implementing it.

Its already being considered in Japan for the next round of the World Drifting Championships, bolted to the roof of a Subaru Unimpreza.

• Haha 7