USS Arizona, 1/426 scale Revell kit with Tom's Model works pe detail kit

I said the second turret, it's actually turret C on the stern, Tom's model works PE worked out ok so far, mind you the instructions need a bit of head scratching, like working out a puzzle. But the penny drops eventually.

turret_c_catapult_hxxvhs.png 

the deck catapult on the stern leading right over the fantail.

Stern_catapaults_fitted_stern_on_mtwub7.

• Like 4

the basic bridge components, there's no pe in the toms model works pe for this area, so I'll dig out something from the spares box.

captains_bridge_a_orhdng.jpg

the small parts are basic, but with some spare pe inspection hatches I may be able to detail them up.

captains_bridge_c_krvtyl.png

the radar now has a detaile inspection access panel

captains_bridge_d_h3sbze.png

the rotating boxs with entry doors and access panels

captains_bridge_e_dcfg6b.png

• Like 3
6 hours ago, bourdon said:

That looks like a poorly molded range finder to me. The catapult is a nice piece of work.

When you consider thd age of the kit it could be a lot worse, look at the range finders on the heller/Airfix 1/400 battleships the cat is pe am so ghat of course will look good 

• Like 1

Cheers for the comments everyone, Gorbs, I really get a kick out of taking an ancient kit (Ancient in the scale of modern kit production) and turning it around with PE, stretched sprue and so on, I'll be making the jack staff base out of Stretched sprue as the kit one is massively thick. And of course it's a range finder, the Arizona would never have been fitted with Radar, in Tora Tora Tora the army Radar section wanted to place a towed radar trailer up on the top of the mountain and they had to get National Parks permission. And even then they switched it off at 0700 and went down for Breakfast. Peace time thinking, one of the many tragedies of the 7th.

KsLBJHy.png

• Like 3

next up, the PE aircraft crane that is mounted on the stern.

Kw92MJg.png

The base and counter lever from the kit part are used, the pe replaces the lattice work, and it does it to a greater scale appearance.

g8rzsDF.png 

fitted to the stern with a uhu string glue crane cable.jOARO1I.png

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Sprocket said:

next up, the PE aircraft crane that is mounted on the stern.

Kw92MJg.png

The base and counter lever from the kit part are used, the pe replaces the lattice work, and it does it to a greater scale appearance.

g8rzsDF.png 

fitted to the stern with a uhu string glue crane cable.jOARO1I.png

This is exactly what PE does best. The railings also; they're light years beyond what Revell gave us in that era.

• Like 1

thanks for all the supportive comments.

Midsahips boat cranes now, again they are a mix of pe and the original crane parts modified to take out the unrealistic upper cable.

boat_cranes_a_vujibz.png

the pe parts are folded using the bender, here is a walkway with the handrail bent up to 90'

boat_cranes_b_qootoy.png

comparing the original blocky out of scale kit part, with the modified pe one below it, still needs the upper handrail, boat hooks and UHU stringy glue cables.boat_cranes_c_knvxbk.png

• Like 6

I'm a little concearned about the towering height of these Boat Cranes amidships, they seem too tall, could Revell have got this wrong? but doing a bit of searching of contemporary images on the tube, they do seem to be huge.

Boat_cranes_tall_y59xsq.jpg

I took to youtube and found that they are very prominent in all the contemporary photographs, this video below confirms it, it's a series of images of Arizona sunk at pearl harbour, rather ghastly images considering the job left to the recovery crew. The you tuber that put this together chose a great track, Sarah Bareilles Satellite call from the i tunes album Blessed unrest, quite a haunting tune that goes really well with the images.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

doing a bit of searching of contemporary images on the tube, they do seem to be huge.

Indeed. They're pretty monstrous. Possibly even overkill unless the ship's boats were equally massive (and indeed the one in this picture seems to be unfeasibly large).

Arizona_(BB39)_Port_Bow,_Underway_-_NARA

• Like 3

Thanks for that image Jessie, I had to chuckle at "unfeasably large" it reminded me of a character in viz magazine a while back,  typical British skewed humour.

But the picture shows me I am right, they are slightly too tall.

luDzV3J.png

using pliers, I gently pulled the pole that supports the crane out and down, not wishing to bend or crease the pole at this stage, it allowed the circular stop to clear the upper deck and let the foot of the pole to contact the lower deck as it should be. This also corrects the height proportion to look more like the crane in Jessie's picture.

7JEJHiT.png 

• Like 4

there was no mention of it in the instructions, mind you, I think this was the era of working features on model kits, so little Jimmy could capsize his model at bathtime and not loose his working features, (damn you working features!)

the instructions for the upper works, next stage. 

jKMfxxA.png

no PE on this part, but the remaining PE is for the upper works..

ccaLZeq.png

3/4 of the PE is fitted, just the extreme upper works to go on.

eMBMQsl.png

• Like 2

making the main mast is a exercise in modification, the legs are all equal length, and rearmost leg goes down to the lower deck and stands at right angles, wereas the other two stand at a shallow angle and should be much shorter as they attach to the upper boat deck.

nbGJlvG.png

• Like 3

Nice work on this so far. Even though its over 60 years old, it looks more accurate than the recent Hobbyboss release that's been panned heaps online. Not that I would actually know as I am no expert on anything :) but it still looks like the Arizona to me. I found a good source for rigging: World of warships  :) I'll be using that a lot when I get to start my 1/350 shinyhorse (Scharnhorst)

• Like 1

Actually you are both correct, it is quite a good kit of the Arizona, for it's age. I finally got the main mast to sit square after adjusting the length of the two forward legs, now I can move on.

sC74U1G.jpg

the boat cranes both with uhu stretchy glue cables, but the handrail has fallen off, and is laying on the boat deck below, that's a quick fix, then when the uhu is dry and hardened off, a gentle coat of matt black on the cable.

yPLk8xA.png

starting work building the foremast, this is terrrible fit wise, the back legs are the wrong length, need to measure twice and cut them once, right first time. This is the notorious mast that fell forward after all the supporting decks and bulwarks were destroyed when the forward magazine exploded, leaving the mast and the conning tower with no structural integrity.

QWMFokl.png

• Like 2