Jump to content

Airfix 1/72 Meteor F8.


Recommended Posts

I can't say a 1/72 Meteor F8 was high in my own list of stuff I'd like, the MPM/Special Hobby kits build nicely with a bit of care, but it does look good so thought I'd share a few images here. But click on the link above for the Full Monty. Box art is stunning.

95330.thumb.jpg.016456edd920ae7c0d0cc9734cef486a.jpg

95341.thumb.jpg.f8b48cb5f29cb1d39ef0ed5825240d7b.jpg

95333.thumb.jpg.47815b3be068ffff0bf50bbb7eb24016.jpg

95344.thumb.jpg.0f6a961961568522678234673b7ca7f5.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

I can't say a 1/72 Meteor F8 was high in my own list of stuff I'd like

No, me neither, but I might be tempted.  For a silver/NMF finish, what would be the best colour for a panel line wash?  I think black would be too stark - something like EDSG, maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hutch6390 said:

would be the best colour for a panel line wash? 

None ?    :stirthepot:         In 1/72 the shadow in the panel lines might be enough.

or marginally darker silver. I think any dark grey would make it too diecast toylike

2560px-Gloster_Meteor_F.8_%E2%80%98WF714

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 9:36 PM, RWG686 said:

None ?    :stirthepot:         In 1/72 the shadow in the panel lines might be enough.

or marginally darker silver. I think any dark grey would make it too diecast toylike

2560px-Gloster_Meteor_F.8_%E2%80%98WF714

Modern Airfix panel lines are something that put me right off. I am getting the meteor in and will probably have one for myself but looking at your photo of the real thing and the built up kit I cannot see where they got the trenches from if they Lidar'd the real thing. I keep putting the Airfix Phantom back in the stash because, while I can work around the kits other issues, the trenches just turn me cold.

I have wondered if it's because they want to use the same CAD for producing Diecast versions.

Duncan B

p.s. looking at the Airfix build again is there something a little too straight and pointy about the nose? There should be a gentle curve all the way down the top line I think. Nit picking possibly but my eye keeps being drawn to it.

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

...looking at the Airfix build again is there something a little too straight and pointy about the nose? There should be a gentle curve all the way down the top line I think. Nit picking possibly but my eye keeps being drawn to it.

Now you've got me looking at photos of the model and machine. Perhaps it's a component of the complicated lines of the aircraft's nose when seen from slightly different angles but I feel Airfix have captured the lines better than Xtrakit/MPM did with what to me always looked slightly too bulbous and short.

I'm holding out for the PR version to be released.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2022 at 21:54, Paul Brown said:

This is the Xtrakit/MPM, I'm having difficulty remembering, but I think the wash was done with Flory Dark Dirt. The Airfix above looks like it's been done with black.

P1010181.JPG.58a2707620a772c0443c7c526b5f42ac.JPG

 

Paul's example there shows well how the MPM F.8 can be turned out and how subtle it's panel lines are.

Airfix's panel lines look ridiculous,speshly that big strange line around the cannon muzzles.

Here's my MPM/Extrakit F.8 done as D.16/O/WH344:

photo-2021-03-04-19-23-40.jpg

No panel wash was used as the U/D.16's were kept pretty clean,but as can be seen,MPM's panel lines look to be far more subtle than Airfix's.

A shame really that Airfix didn't manage to use those moulds again,it's certainly not a "Shakey Bakey kit",but it can be built into a nice representation of the F.8.

 

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The panel lines are predicated on the idea that most of the kits that get built will be bristle brush painted. That piece of information was passed to me by Trevor Snowden several years ago and I suspect it still holds true. We were towards the end of the second day of a two day show and being near adjacent exhibitors had spent quite a long time chatting, as visitors were few and far between and we were both bored stiff. He also explained why the Valiant had been delayed. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2022 at 8:49 PM, Paul Brown said:

The panel lines are predicated on the idea that most of the kits that get built will be bristle brush painted. That piece of information was passed to me by Trevor Snowden several years ago and I suspect it still holds true. We were towards the end of the second day of a two day show and being near adjacent exhibitors had spent quite a long time chatting, as visitors were few and far between and we were both bored stiff. He also explained why the Valiant had been delayed. 

Yet their 1/48 EE Lightning kit (that Trevor had a big hand in the design of) has the most beautiful surface details Airfix have ever produced IMO. I know they spent a fortune on getting the moulds engineered in Korea (before the days of LIDAR) so they can do it if they want to. I suspect the bean counters have more sway now but if Airfix want to charge near Tamiya prices then they need to be more focusing on the parts of the market that don't slap paint on with a hairy stick (Tony is excused lol). If that is their design brief then they seem to be conflicted and caught between the schoolboy modeller (for surface details) and the hardcore modeller (for pricing and engineering of the kits).

I just find it a bit frustrating that Airfix's newer products are so very close to being excellent but are continually let down by issues of their own (bean counters?) making.

Duncan B

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Yet their 1/48 EE Lightning kit (that Trevor had a big hand in the design of) has the most beautiful surface details Airfix have ever produced IMO. I know they spent a fortune on getting the moulds engineered in Korea (before the days of LIDAR) so they can do it if they want to. I suspect the bean counters have more sway now but if Airfix want to charge near Tamiya prices then they need to be more focusing on the parts of the market that don't slap paint on with a hairy stick (Tony is excused lol). If that is their design brief then they seem to be conflicted and caught between the schoolboy modeller (for surface details) and the hardcore modeller (for pricing and engineering of the kits).

I just find it a bit frustrating that Airfix's newer products are so very close to being excellent but are continually let down by issues of their own (bean counters?) making.

Duncan B

I plead guilty to being one of the hairy stick brigade Duncan but even I, with 50+ years in the hobby under my (very ample) belt have trouble with Airfix's reasoning. 

To be honest, I find it a specious argument. The recent Vulcan is  a good example which I'm working on now. 

There's no way in hell these trenches are going to be covered up by a couple of coats of paint and if they were scaled up, you'd trap your feet in them!😉😂

Flooding panel lines with litres of "wash" doesn't help them either as, to be honest, I think it looks faintly ridiculous. The built up example of the Vulcan when it first appeared looked like it had a network of railway lines on it.

I'm no stickler for accuracy etc but, At a current price of nearly £73, I'd expect a lot better. 

Your point about the Airfix Lightning is well taken but it is a shame that it takes an example of a fairly old kit to show the finesse Airfix is(was) capable of. 

Allan

Edited by Thatsmyboy
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Yet their 1/48 EE Lightning kit (that Trevor had a big hand in the design of) has the most beautiful surface details Airfix have ever produced IMO. I know they spent a fortune on getting the moulds engineered in Korea (before the days of LIDAR) so they can do it if they want to. I suspect the bean counters have more sway now but if Airfix want to charge near Tamiya prices then they need to be more focusing on the parts of the market that don't slap paint on with a hairy stick (Tony is excused lol). If that is their design brief then they seem to be conflicted and caught between the schoolboy modeller (for surface details) and the hardcore modeller (for pricing and engineering of the kits).

It's post Borden/Humbrol, I think Trev was referring to Hornby philosophy. Regardless of what hardcore modellers think they should be doing, if sales projections and targets add up I doubt anything will change.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

 Regardless of what hardcore modellers think they should be doing, if sales projections and targets add up I doubt anything will change.

I agree, it's the Accountants that are calling the shots and they won't care so long as the Company stays afloat and shareholders are making money (which is the sole reason for any Company to exist). Trevor was a man of his time at Airfix when the production team probably had much more say in things. It's Hornby's ball and they can kick it around any way they desire, it's just a shame that there isn't anyone like Trevor in there now who has enough clout to tighten up the loose ends that are holding decent kits back from being brilliant kits (which might allow productions runs to be bigger and make the bean counters more money).

Duncan B

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...