Muttley

D-Day Leading Dakota

Starting another Dakota, this time a rather famous one that was found derelict, but when it was dentified was taken for restoration, it was the the lead DC3 for D-Day. This year that wreck arrives in the the UK to once again lead a flight of 30 DC3s/C47s, and Little Friends, back to France for a more friendly invasion.

That Dak was "Thats All Brother" and I now have under 30 days to get this finished

The base kit it Italieris fine offeringmQdMSJP.jpg

I decided to try another approach with the stripes. I have pre painted the white area on the wings and body, which will be trimmed back when assembly takes place.

W9dSaXH.jpg

A few issues with the internal fit, which while invisible when closed up, the detail geek in me will know is wrong. Namely the seats should touch the forward bulkhead (they didn't) What helped me there was the seat part overlapped the load door by a couple of mm, so after cutting out all the floor holes, I then trimmed the lugs and igred them. Also, the nav desk sat such that it didn't square with the floor, or to the navigators storage hatch - need the other angle to see itQX4fami.jpg

Am now working on the pilots, and the parachutists (Airfix US and UK paras to be stood in the middle)

U8npbZT.jpg

That's the update to tonight. More to come in the coming evenings

• Like 4

This'll be good Jase, I like the italeri Dak the panel lines are a bit deep but apart from that its a pretty good kit 

• Like 1

Thanks Darren, I liked the Italieri kit when I did the BBMF Dak, so helps knowing any pit falls in advance on a rather short timed build.

Just sorted a base from Coastal Bases, just need a decent acrylic rod to mount it on now

Hell Jase, I've just picked up on this.

I'm a bit of a Dak fan,but I must admit I'd not heard of "That's All Brother" until you've started this build.

More power to your elbow mate,this is a build of a real hero.

I note that she's over here at the right time,so let's hope we get a fly past at the least at Cosford show on the 9th of June.

If you need anything just shout up and I'll see what I have to help.

• Like 1

Thanks Miggers, will do. 

Sadly the 15 coming from the US aren't staying long, via Prestwick arriving at Duxford on the2nd June, 2 days practice etc then onto a mass drop over Ranville on the 5th

Who knows, if Cosford will have anything, or when they'll be headed back. Keep an eye on Daks Over Normandy

@Miggers you may want to have a look at this link, it's the Kickstarter for That's All Brother. 

Also, are you aware of radar being installed to C47s? Check out the video, close to the end, TAB has a dome underneath

Well Jase,after much lurking about on t'internet,that looks like possibly a "H2X" set up in a modified mounting/fairing.

That kit was easily available(i.e pinched out of a chin turretless B17G) and I believe,by that stage of proceedings,

a pretty fair ground mapping radar.

The fairing looks pretty ball shaped with a "straight" collar twixt it and the fuselage(maybe a modified ball turret might do you for a passable replica?)

What is interesting is that TAB had it's "normal"load of 28 jumpers reduced to 14 because of the weight of radar fit and

at least 2 to 3 extra crew members,radar operators/fitters perhaps?.

I'd imagine the radar screen would be housed opposite the radio operator's cubby hole in the luggage bay on the

starbord side behind the co-pilot?

The nearest I've seen to that radar fairing is the one fitted to B-29's between the two bomb bays.

I hope to see her and eleven others at Prestwick later this month. 

They are stopping for a couple of days en-route to ,I think,Duxford.

I'll be watching your build and will unashamedly steal the best ideas :D

• Like 1

Total of 15 coming as the D-Day Squadron, Prestwick then Duxford for 3 days before heading off to France - annoyingly, I'll be at DX when 30 Dakotas fly over my house in Southend!

Update on the contents;

Painted the pilots last night, in 1/72, it's hard to get massive detail and as these don't fit without amputations, I'll leave the legs. They are PJ Productions US Navy Pilots (the Army pilots had covered faces)

v1DoLVw.jpg

A mix of Airfix Paras and US Airborne figures, a shame the plastic is so soft, it has made flash removal very tricky, If I have time, I'm tempted to cast the door jumper (middle) in resin to get a clearer shape

hbu2yNV.jpg

Finally, did the side glazing with White Glue. Have found this to be one of the best for glass as it dries clear and can be removed by gently working with a cocktail stick

fGdH7G1.jpg

• Like 3

There's a page I have saved(I think!!) on the big box at home that details the minor external differences between British and US Para-Daks. I'll drop it in here later. I used it for reference when I did KK138.

• Like 2

Well,I thought I had it saved,however,if you look at the second pic down here:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/width-and-height-of-jump-door-on-c-47-for-d-day.45169/

you can see the two canvas covers that were attached for using US parachute equipment.

The small upper one covers the catch/lug where the door mount fits,the larger lower one covers the door handles and the small one

at the extreme right of the picture covers the lower door lug.

Both prevent the static line fouling as the jumper leaves the aircraft.

British Daks had a specially made external metal "guide" fitted over the door handles and also had the door lugs,the bottom corner of the door apeture,

the tailplane/fuselage joint and the tail wheel shock absorber covered in masking tape to prevent the line fouling when pulling in the

static lines after the jumpers had cleared the aircraft.

The British static line strop was 9' 9" inches long.

That attached the parachute static line to the aircraft.

British static lines were not to be used with US aircraft and vice-versa,so the American static line must've been a different length.

And then I found this:

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/145341-dakota-iv-control-surfaces-and-paradoor-questions

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Pilots now in, bloody fiddly. Strangely, Italieri dont do a decal for the dials, so will get a coat of black to "hide" the dasht1mCYDS.jpg

No, I've not closed up, but clamping to get the floor seated. 

One thing to remember with this is to drill outwhere the antenna will goqoLK3kY.jpg

• Like 2

Some bloke "next door" went silly with the Eduard internal etch set on Airfix's Dak only to realise that only he would know it was there................

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Miggers said:

Some bloke "next door" went silly with the Eduard internal etch set on Airfix's Dak only to realise that only he would know it was there................

Does sound like the daft thing I'd do. Now, if I had internal lighting.... 

A little more tonight, and the fuselage now closed up. With the jumpers lined up in their queue. But, the middle chap looks about 7ft tall

nxcRH3U.jpg

Stand Up!

Check chutes! 

XdAuoTR.jpg

Jump!! 

• Like 2

Wndows glazed and masked. But, annoyingly, when I built ZA947 iI didn't have any issues when putting the wings together. Some thinned vallejo putty has sorted that out 9WqQy58.jpg

then, have redone the white for the stripes on the wings/fuselage. I am tempted to use the decals, but, somehow that feels a cheat.
yw2sM5d.jpg
Not much more to add, tailplane to add, then retun to the green and grey 

I also produced a Thats all brother decal today, so I am rather pleased with that, all I need to do is fix it and I'm ready
  • Like 2

Go for it Jase,she'll look great.

I think I may have sussed why there was a difference between British and American paraDak jump

equipment,the British strop apparently fixed to a runner in the floor,whereas the American used the more

familiar "hook on the wire in the ceiling" set up,hence the different methods of covers and tape for the airframe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toolmaker said:

Also the Brits didn’t carry a spare chute!

Nice job bye the way, and good luck with finishing it on time.

Thanks, is a relatively simple build, but work (and Duxford this weekend) gets in the way. 

Was the no reserve for weight/kit issue, or just one of those things we did different? 

Wing stripes tonightbNMunZs.jpg

C93kztc.jpg

Rear tomorrow, and then on with the final green coats

• Like 1