Here's one I served on even earlier..

Trumpy catch me out again. The aft 911 tracker is too close to the mast base. So, I had to cut away the locating square for it and make it fit as best I could. And those outer half decks. Can you spot my glaring error? I fitted the winches on the boat deck and the boat deck winches on here. There is a notable difference and I'm not going to try and prise the boat winches off.

20220921-215852.jpg

Hangar is on and the aft yardarms look wonky but they do angle up in reality

20220921-215836.jpg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Gorby said:

It looks good to me.

Are you enjoying the build or is the Trumpyness too annoying for that?

I give up as to what fit and timeline this kit is supposed to represent. Certainly not '98 when I was on her. I won't be making another one anytime soon.

Added a tiger stripe to the FD.

20220922-131514.jpg

I'm going for a pre-Bowman fit which generally started around 2004 replacing Clansman amongst UK forces. Consequently I've had to plug the attachment points port and stbd so as a result that yellow decal which I made out of three bits is superfluous. 

20220922-131706.jpg

Port sponsons on. The supports are ever so slightly too short. However, these decks are supposed to have a very slight slope down to outboard so maybe, just maybe Trumpy have got something right.

20220922-131504.jpg

• Like 7
2 hours ago, skwonk said:

Port sponsons on. The supports are ever so slightly too short. However, these decks are supposed to have a very slight slope down to outboard so maybe, just maybe Trumpy have got something right.

dont say that, they will think that everything they havent got right is OK

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Dr Loopy said:

You could mistake it for the real thing

No, definitely not. The more I do, the more I hate it. See those slightly browny long things attached to the port side just above the deck? Well, these are the bits which make up the back end flaggy pole thing so, if you decide to have a raised ensign then you need to remove these from the bulkhead.

20220923-200138.jpg

The white line is filler, a result of creating the slight outboard down angle and to make the outboard stanchions reach the deck.

20220923-190533.jpg

This is where the drilled out bit goes and I've tried to hide that gap with PPP and a dirty deck. I would have preferred a larger hole but couldn't justify wasting more time correcting things. The position of that for'ard stanchion on the aft sponson and moulded on upper deck bollard haunts me.

20220923-200204.jpg

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

and let's be very honest it is a trumpeter kit 

And there the horror lies.

Started pinging with lacky thread and yes that PE bit aft of the mast flew off in the process and now has a curve in it. Bu**er!

20220924-193234.jpg

Got the earlier light bar from the Peter Hall set on atop the hangar

20220924-193208.jpg

• Like 5

It must be terrible knowing a s subject so well that every tiny mistake sticks in ye craw :(. All the same, to the untutored eye, it looks great. I nearly used another word then remembered this build’s predecessor 😬😵💫😬.

Edited by Dr Loopy
12 hours ago, Gorby said:

Just rest assured that you're making a better job than most, if not all other modellers would manage with this kit.

But it is morale sapping. There's some thread trimming to be had along the way as you can see here.

20220925-200902.jpg

There's supposed to be more of these but I gave up and I wasn't going to recreate the insulators either.

20220925-200910.jpg

Those lines across the midships cross passage was where on Richmond down in the South Atlantic vertical nets were rigged to stop us tabbers falling into the oggin on those wild nights when we went out for a fag.

20220925-200922.jpg

Halyards, stays and other nautical stringy bits. I tried using ultra fine Lycra coloured with a streaking brush from Duncan @BlackMike Models but my eyesight is such that I had great difficulty seeing it and so I've had to settle with black which I'll colour with the streaking brush. I need to add an ensign and flag hotel yet as well as more bits of thread but I'm giving up the ghost on this.

20220925-201008.jpg

• Like 5
On 9/23/2022 at 8:33 PM, skwonk said:

No, definitely not. The more I do, the more I hate it. See those slightly browny long things attached to the port side just above the deck? Well, these are the bits which make up the back end flaggy pole thing so, if you decide to have a raised ensign then you need to remove these from the bulkhead.

20220923-200138.jpg

The white line is filler, a result of creating the slight outboard down angle and to make the outboard stanchions reach the deck.

20220923-190533.jpg

This is where the drilled out bit goes and I've tried to hide that gap with PPP and a dirty deck. I would have preferred a larger hole but couldn't justify wasting more time correcting things. The position of that for'ard stanchion on the aft sponson and moulded on upper deck bollard haunts me.

20220923-200204.jpg

I've been meaning to ask what purpose those 3 curved ridges on top of the hangar roof serve? They look a bit like blast walls but I can't figure it out.

Your build is coming along splendidly, it's really quite a masterpiece in progress.

Duncan B

7 hours ago, Mish said:

Looking good, I'm glad I'm not the only one that wants to know about the guns.

They used to be manned but not so sure nowadays.

5 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

I've been meaning to ask what purpose those 3 curved ridges on top of the hangar roof serve?

Duncan B

I used to know but can't for the life of me remember now

And so it strikes again. If you glue fairleads and stanchions on as Trumpy would have you do according to sequence this happens. Wonky guardrails. If anyone wants to build one of these I would advocate gluing them on after the PE. Needless to say once I've finished this it will be binned, hopefully by tomorrow as it's bin day on Wednesday.

20220926-131713.jpg

20220926-131704.jpg

• Like 2