Here's one I served on even earlier..

A bit more decalling done. Just some warning signs around the bazaars. One thing to watch for if doing one of these Trumpy efforts is that the class were built differently in certain areas. Later ships had the RU and seagnat lockers integral with the superstructure aft of the bridge. And, check which date the kit is supposed to represent. I've found this and the previous Kent in '700 to be a mix of fitments. I would also recommend getting a whole set of PE doors to replace the moulded on ones. If you did a Sea Ceptor conversion you wouldn't have to worry about the 911 trackers either.

Next step is to matt down the deck then weather it to bits.

20220912-125112.jpg

20220912-125054.jpg

Edited by skwonk
  • Like 6

Got some matt (no too matt) on the decks and waiting for it to dry now. Can't weather a tacky surface with pastels.

Got some lengths of PE cable on. Each link has been slightly twisted to avoid a flat appearance. Notice I left some of the moulded on cable in place to act as both a guide and to give the PE cable a bit more substance. For the benefit of those that have never been on a fo'c'sle all the links don't actually lie on the deck. 

20220913-142815.jpg

It can be read but maybe not after my painting. And anyway, weathering will play it's part.

20220913-142757.jpg

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Kevin said:

trip hazard

Thankfully not this callsign. And if it does happen to anyone then you're in full view of the OOW, QM, 'the other place' (Bosun's Mate) and all other members of the bridge team.

Got the PE cable on. I've had to flatten a bit more of the individual links on the stbd side than I would have liked.

20220914-140027.jpg

Got some for'ard superstructure on as well as the for'ard life raft external decks. I still need to put some small lengths of PE ladder twixt the two externals. And yes, I have carried a cup of tea without spillage twixt those two externals on occasion.

20220914-140016.jpg

20220914-135957.jpg

Edited by skwonk
  • Like 4

More Trumpy nonsense. That angle of that diagonal ladder means that at least one of these outer decks is the wrong length. It needs to be more upright

20220915-140528.jpg

A bit blurred but the position of the for'ard upright is wrong if following the instructions and needs to be cut and repositioned further aft accordingly.

20220915-140546.jpg

RN deck colours; assorted, for the use of.

20220915-140459.jpg

Staring to make the deck look used and more akin to reality.

20220915-140614.jpg

• Like 6

Got the for'ard 911 tracker on and the bridge and signal deck guardrails. You may be wondering why they're a metallic. It's because they're fixed aluminium. I made the mistake of fitting all of the for'ard superstructure on when I should have done the bridge wing rails first. Consequently I had a monk of a time bending to fit. And I did manage to drop them and so they're slightly askew. also the 10'' signalling lamps are on the wings. Stbd one is for left handed people. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. They are in reality on a swivelling mount however.

20220917-174912.jpg

• Like 3

A bit more done. Guardrails on the bridge roof. Yep, it is known as that and a pair of short stiff aerials port and starboard from bits of wire.

20220917-190910.jpg

Midships section on and needs squeezing down a bit and yep, b***er! I forgot to reposition the RAS winches. The crowns are hand painted.

20220917-195010.jpg

• Like 6

Got the midships stanchions and guardrails on from the Peter Hall PE set. The Trumpy stanchions are just, well Trumpy. They don't have the slight support brackets you can see in these images.

20220918-213611.jpg

20220918-213626.jpg

Starting to look a bit more '23ish now.

20220918-213759.jpg

• Like 5

Midships almost done now. GDP/visual PE parts folded and in position behind those canvas screens made from Tamiya tape. After all, it does get ruddy cold on the UD in winter during a Thursday war.

20220919-213715.jpg

20220919-213652.jpg

You can see the screens in this image aft of the boat crane.

rich5-1.jpg

• Like 7

Have a look at the difference twixt Peter Hall PE hangar door and the kit one on the left (which I cut with a view to having it half open). The kit one is just too sharply ridged and would probably be better served as a washboard.

20220921-181018.jpg

• Like 6