dr_g

Photo Etch Primer?

Guys,

What's the best primer for photo-etch? I'll be using acrylics on top.

I see Tamiya do some metal primer, but it seems difficult to find in the UK, and is expensive elsewhere.

I use Tamiya fine surface primer on plastic, and even though it says its suitable for metal, it doesn't stop the paint flaking off at the slightest opportunity, even after light abrading of the surface with a fibreglass pencil.

I've also tried some MrHobby metal primer spray (transparent IIRC), but it seems quite thick, a bit like nail varnish.

Cheers.

Interesting you say that about the Mr Hobby stuff. I bought some and thought the same, then read that clear nail varnish works.

I've tried thinning some clear nail varnish with Acetone to spray it, and it worked. It's not super tough, but much better than the normal primers we use.

Rich

Caldercraft (who make some very nice and expensive planked wooden ship kits) sell a metal priming product which I have used, on etch stuff if its largish pieces, but on smaller stuff, such as on WEM and Eduard sheets, I now find that giving it all a good brush over with a coat of proper white spirit, then leaves it OK and happy to take acrylic paint.  (I only brush paint and sometimes rattle can and have no problems - but do always thin my paint 50:50 with distilled water)

I clean my photoetch with vinegar first then I use rattle can 'autotek - etch primer'. This stuff sprays well, only needs a light coat and doesn't clog up fine details such as mesh and doesn't crack when you bend parts after painting. Available on fleabay.