Good day everyone!

Well I forgot about the start of this GB and am coming in a few days late, so am playing a bit of catchup! I am going to be joining in with this beauty

20220718_193602

I got this many, many moons ago, mainly because it was cheap and I used to see the real thing almost every day and that kindled a bit of interest. So where did I see these? Well my daughter did gymnastics and outside of the gym in @skwonks home town of Helston there were several of these lined up in varying stages of decay. A bit of an odd mix but next door was a large shop belonging to Helston Gunsmiths and I think the owner liked his tanks because out the front were several large retired modern British tanks, might have been chieftans? Not too sure. My tank knowledge is basically vehicle with tracks and a gun! I dont know if Skwonk can confirm if they are still there or not? Any way inside the box isnt a huge part count but what there is looks nice

20220718_193513

Comes with a small bit of etch and a small aluminium turned gun barrel, also comes with some rubber tracks, they look ok so will stick with those. I also opted for the Eduard etch set.

20220718_193623

That should add a nice bit of extra detail. So off to the kitchen for a big scrub!

2022-07-16_02-51-53

All now ready, thinking the build should be quite quick, then to look at the painting and bish bash bosh, finished by the end of the week! ...... or maybe not!😆

So until next time I will catch you all later!

Bob

• Like 9

I got this kit many years ago myself (I like [looking at 🤣] AFV Club kits - even though I haven’t built any), and will be following this with interest as well as it’s you 😃👍🏼.

Dr @@

• Like 1

I'll follow this with interest. I have this kit and bunch of extras in the stash. I had an idea for a diorama years ago, that turned out to be too ambitious for my skills then. It will get done one day. :)

Hi all, great to have you all tagging along! So just a quick bit of work this morning, mainly getting the suspension arms fitted and correctly aligned. 

20220806_111646

Looks a little untidy but wont take much to clean up, and that is the underside so dont expect too much! There is also a note in the instructions to say make sure that all the arms touch the ground, I suppose to prevent wobbly looking wheels! So that is done and I'll just let that all set hard before I carry on.

20220806_111708

Like I said only a quick update but we are up and running, need to get out and clean up the garden a bit but its 35 at the moment and rising! So I wont be out there too long!

Laters!

Bob

• Like 6

Greetings all again,

Hope you are all doing well! I have had a bit more time on this and have just been generally sticking bits on all over the place. First off though I put a little bit of paint down on some vents so that I could cover them with the photo etch mesh.

20220809_185651

I opted for the same green as i used on my 25 pdr and tractor unit, I think i will opt for this green as i dont have any other and I will probably fade and weather the heck out of this so exact colours arent really that important, I then continued with the assembly of boxes and the like. Now there arent many references of Scorpions in the Falklands so the exact equipment fit is hard to determine. I'm not going to get too bogged down with semantics and if I cant determine any fit, I will go with what looks good..... unless of course someone went to the Falklands and happens to have a complete walkaround of one then I will revise that!

Also started the turret:

20220809_185641

and then I looked at the etch and there is ALOT of small bits and pieces to go on. Some bits are fine and bend well but there are lots of handles which need a double opposite fold and can I get these right? Oh lordy how fiddly is this going to be?!

20220810_073159

I've made an effort here and you can see the handles in the top left corner of the fret, sometimes I wish I didnt bother with etch, but I bought this fret years ago when my eyesight was a whole lot better lol

I've also done the wheels so they just need paint but I wont fit those until near the end when the tracks go on. Oh well back to the eye straining etch!

Catch you all later!

Bob

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...

I have pictures of 03FD38, a restored Falkland's Scorpion of  3 troop , B Squadron, Blues and Royals, callsign 23 Alpha. It's been accurately restored as it operated in the conflict.

Just need to work out how to upload/insert photos from my PC

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Smudge said:

Just need to work out how to upload/insert photos from my PC

If you have problems uploading photos than let us know and we'll try and talk you though it. This is probably the best place to talk about it, and it may be useful to you as well:

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Gorby said:

If you have problems uploading photos than let us know and we'll try and talk you though it. This is probably the best place to talk about it, and it may be useful to you as well:

I'm trying Flikr, but the 'insert image from URL won't let me, it says "IPS spam blocked by CleanTalk"?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Smudge said:

I'm trying Flikr, but the 'insert image from URL won't let me, it says "IPS spam blocked by CleanTalk"?

I'm sure there has been problems with CleanTalk before. I'll ask around and get back to you.

2 hours ago, Smudge said:

Hi Smudge, in the image sharing dialogue you need to select BBCode, then copy and paste the string generated from that into the text editor here, that should work. The forum software won't recognise a URL on its own.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

Hi Smudge, in the image sharing dialogue you need to select BBCode, then copy and paste the string generated from that into the text editor here, that should work. The forum software won't recognise a URL on its own.

Hi Paul

I have no option for BB code... only URL.  I might try that Hobbyphotohost

Hi Smudge, I edited your above post using the hobbyphotohost link. In the latter and on the page hosting the image, click the button 'Forums / IMG' and this will copy the photo address and IMG tags to your clipboard. Paste onto the text editor here and the image will appear after you hit the 'submit reply' button.

22 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

Hi Smudge, I edited your above post using the hobbyphotohost link. In the latter and on the page hosting the image, click the button 'Forums / IMG' and this will copy the photo address and IMG tags to your clipboard. Paste onto the text editor here and the image will appear after you hit the 'submit reply' button.

Thanks mate; will have another try

03FD38 is the one I mentioned, callsign 23 Alpha o 3 troop , B Squadron, Blues and Royals.

It came up for sale and Eden Camp in Yorkshire bought it and full restored it to as it was in The Falklands.  They've also restored, or are restoring, 23B and 23C

Note the extra stowage in the form of ammo boxes incl 30mm boxes from the Scimitar's, and 81mm mortar ammo boxes.  They tried putting boxes on the front (like on the Scimtar's) but when they fired the 76mm main gun it blew the lids off LOL

• Like 3

Greetings all, first off thanks @Smudge for your perseverance and for @Paul Brown and @Gorby for helping out. At last! A great reference, thank you for sharing those! It is very much appreciated and exceedingly useful. There looks to be quite a bit of minor differences and need to look through that netting and the rucksack stuff as I dont have that but will endeavor to get it within the ball park.

Well my time has been spent basically building it up with plastic and etch. I think I am nearly there and just need to go through the instructions once more to ensure I have everything covered. Here is where I am at before I start throwing the paint around.

20220826_181247

20220826_181230

Thats all for me now hopefully will get round to painting very soon!

Thanks for looking in.

Bob

On 8/25/2022 at 10:35 AM, Smudge said:

Anyhoo

Back on topic; there's some images of Falklands CVRT incl Scorpions on SMM's website that may be useful...

https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/the-falklands-before-and-after

https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/the-falklands-war

Hope they help

Just had a look through the links, holy cow they are fantastic, as a reference they are great but in general they are brills, just flicking through them, great stuff! Thanks for posting. 

• Like 6