Here's one I served on earlier..

23 hours ago, DC3 said:

Enjoying this. What was it like onboard the Truman, what was different & what was the same, which bits were better & which the same etc. etc.

I'll not answer that one. It has the potential for a huge great thread drift.

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)

Boot topping on; port and stbd, Revell 06 Tar. A few jagged edges but it'll be weathered accordingly so it won't matter.

20220809-134725.jpg

20220809-134716.jpg

Deck done with a few touch ups and pick outs with Humbrol 127 Top Coat Grey in the offing. Revell 43 gives probably the best representation of the real colour of a Pusser's War Canoe with a faded look and a good base for weathering. I tested a few greys (you can see the test areas where the superstructure parts will go) I have including NARN 54 all of which didn't come anywhere near

20220809-134739.jpg

I was thinking about the more modern 'back end' as in one of the earlier images but decided the image below will save time and work. Notice the edges of the transom flap.

1613781.jpg

Edited by skwonk
  • Like 5
10 hours ago, skwonk said:

It has the potential for a huge great thread drift.

Not from me it won't, don't drift anymore since we got serious modellers ( or maybe it was just the one) on the site who called in the Drift Police,  the subsequent admonishment from the drift police not to drift and upset the serious modeller(s) made me see the error of my ways, causing me to abandon the ways of the drift, the pursuit of the laugh and the banter for a path of pure, serious, humorless modelling. Now, where did I put my colour charts?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
On 08/08/2022 at 14:39, DC3 said:

Enjoying this. What was it like onboard the Truman, what was different & what was the same, which bits were better & which the same etc. etc.

Their 'Colonel Gaddafis' were bigger.

The tedium of masking in this scale. Some of the smaller stuff will be picked out with Top Coat Grey.

20220810-130513.jpg

Starting a bit of picking out. I've painted the bollards grey so I can see them. Only the tops and bases are grey, the rest are an oily brown steel as a protection against rust.

20220810-130458.jpg

'Oh No!' Often the cry when England are in a penalty shootout. I forgot to hollow out the space and put some plasticard then the PE part on top for the harpoon grid hence it sits proud now. It needs weathering still, probably with an oil wash. I'll put a helicopter shape over it to hide it.

20220810-130445.jpg

• Like 8

A bit more done with the trusty Revell 43. The funnel top (at the end of the plasticard arc) will be an almost black colour eventually.

20220811-120407.jpg

Yayy! Pastels for weathering and filth.

20220811-125252.jpg

Fo'c'sle starting to look used. Notice the black dots (picked out with a 0.1mm fibre tip pen) are a bit squiffy. Can't help the tremor I still have in my arm though. Still have the cable to put on as yet.

20220811-125514.jpg

A more distant view.

20220811-125624.jpg

• Like 5

A few interior stock images from tinternet.

The bridge. Big Dipper's chair in the foreground.

the-bridge-on-the-type-23-duke-class-fri

2 deck. Notice luminous tape around the door clips and the escape hatch in the deck, also the through bulkhead connector for fire hose. You can just make out drums of AFFF in their stowages in the next compartment.

Lancaster-April-2014-DSC-3505.jpg

Just to dispel myths about what a ship's wheel looks like; yep, that's it.

4849699861-a1ef11723c-b.jpg

• Like 6
Posted (edited)

'Darby has only got one bollard, the other...'

I lost one of the teeny winches from the fo'c'sle and had to scratch two from rod; bu**er! I'll probably find the missing part when I least expect it but I'm not holding out. 

I'm calling the fo'c'sle done. Cable added from PE and some pastel stuff done to the deck. Aft tiger stripes for the four five arc added by the same way as the for'ard ones

20220812-231608-1.jpg

Started on the VLSW area.

20220812-231629.jpg

Edited by skwonk
  • Like 4

Plenty of pinging and swearing going on with this today. The kit PE blast deflectors folded nicely however, the cross members which are then inserted went ping! Never to be seen again except one set which after many attempts I gave up on. The Peter Hall PE set folds nicely to give the Harpoon frames but the tubes themselves after trimming the kit frames off I kept dropping so they look a tad wonky. There's something odd about the location holes of those RAS winch positions midships.

20220813-201651.jpg

Bridge windows done. When on Richmond off South Georgia one of the heating elements in the windows started to overheat (it may have been the second one from the bridge access door but I'm not 100% sure), consequently shattering glass but it held together. It looked like it was covered in ice as was the effect it produced.

20220813-201714.jpg

Decoys fitted with rails.

20220813-205108.jpg

• Like 4

Bridge wings and signal deck now added. Nav light areas need a touch up. And the Seagnat location holes look suspect in their positioning. Those external 01 decks are a source of confusion; well, normality with Trumpy. Some 1/1 images of 23's show three stanchions on the for'ard deck and some show two. So yep, a right old mixey blob this is turning out to be.

20220813-221713.jpg

• Like 4

Signalling 'lollipops' on. They're 10'' for'ard and 15'' aft in 1/1 scale but these are just, well, Trumpy. The Seagnat launchers are well, Trumpy again. Have a look at the RAS winches on the midships X passage as well, remember I mentioned them earlier? 

20220814-160521.jpg

Not only are they positioned wrong but the doors can't open for'ard of them. The middle door leads through an airlock into the Wardroom Flat. They normally have covers over them except when in use or for work/maintenance.

20220814-154451.jpg

20220814-154456.jpg

Not that clear in this image but it gives some idea. At least the doors can open.

Before-after-PGMU.jpg

• Like 5

There's trouble on't bridge. That antenna for'ard is made up of three parts. How many attempts I had I can't remember.

20220814-194649.jpg

The guardrails on the aft section of the bridge wings change from fixed to removable and around the signal deck you can see I had to cut and bodge the fitment

20220814-194626.jpg

• Like 5

Here's the reason why the aft bridge wings and signal deck guardrails caused my trouble. Yep, Trumpy strike again. They moulded the flag lockers in the wrong place. Trumpy have them aft and they should be larboard and starboard. I knew something wasn't right.

richmond5.jpg

• Like 4