Here's one I served on earlier..

...in 2014 when I had to fly out to Stavanger to join her. The box shows the post 2010 turret but the part is pre 2010. No doubt the rest of the kit is going to be an '8 piece mixey blob' of fits. The Q/D already looks suspect.

20220802-145257.jpg

• Like 7
16 hours ago, DC3 said:

bring it on.

Oh my, why did I bring this on myself

Nasty step on bow. I've hollowed out the bullring as well.

20220803-101742.jpg

Obvious error here. No flight deck hatch leading (point of cocky stick shows where it should be, aft superstructure just placed on to show location) down to the aft section base on 2 deck. Once when I was on Lancaster in '97 with a killick tanky and crumb duster having a tab (this was the smoking area back then) there was an almighty roaring sound followed by a column of oggin coming down the hatch. Flight deck was totally submerged temporarily. We didn't get wet though but the deck did.

20220803-114307.jpg

These need hollowing out.

20220803-101755.jpg

Cleared out with some blood letting on my part.

20220803-114322.jpg

Bollards are positioned wrong. They should be in line with the hull cutouts and a second set of bollards further for'ard. Can't remember if the port ones are removed when the 2087's are fitted.

20220803-114546.jpg

QD and bulkhead. WTH? Port door to diving store needs scratching as does the stbd one leading to 2 deck past the winch control room. Windows for aforementioned compartment need replicating. It's fun to stand in said compartment and watch the QD become totally awash and up to deckhead level in the knowledge you can't get wet. Not so much fun on QD when trying to launch XBT's when you can see a big salty watery wall heading towards you.

20220803-114619.jpg

Typical cluttered QD on a '23

HMS-Westminster-towed-Array.jpg

Top coat grey from the paint shop midships.

20220803-115308.jpg

As for RN deck grey colour; yeah right. Any colours so long as they include shades of grey (50 perhaps?), rust, dust and a bit of salty stuff here and there.

921334-10151562187693205-391872919-o-thu

• Like 7
32 minutes ago, DC3 said:

Love reading your mostly unintelligible Andrew speak.

I can translate; QD=quarterdeck, XBT=expendable bathythermograph. Used to measure water temperature against depth by means of a very long, thin copper wire. Without going into too much detail etc. there are several types in use for different depths. Images below show the hand held launcher which I used and the picture beneath that shows how they are made up. And no, they don't go off with a bang as some people think, they just plop into the water.

handlaucher.png

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Flight deck hatch added from plastirod and flow noise increased by many decibels around the bow dome.

20220803-135223.jpg

• Like 7
5 hours ago, skwonk said:

I can translate; QD=quarterdeck, XBT=expendable bathythermograph. Used to measure water temperature against depth by means of a very long, thin copper wire. Without going into too much detail etc. there are several types in use for different depths. Images below show the hand held launcher which I used and the picture beneath that shows how they are made up. And no, they don't go off with a bang as some people think, they just plop into the water.

handlaucher.png

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Flight deck hatch added from plastirod and flow noise increased by many decibels around the bow dome.

20220803-135223.jpg

No No No Paul, don't translate, keep on talking navy gibberish.

• Haha 4
15 hours ago, DC3 said:

No No No Paul, don't translate, keep on talking navy gibberish.

Ok, after just having a snout I'm posting this whilst enjoying a tea; Julie Andrews, gash bag brown. As for coffee, I prefer it Whoopi Goldberg.

Anyway, what to do about that poor excuse for a QD. Well, this actually..

Netting; doubles up as safety and anti terrorist stuff. First time I saw it used was on Marlborough when we went alongside in Latakia, Syria in '98. There wasn't any squabbling then and the local pilot looked exactly like Boss Hogg from The Dukes of Hazard (no images please we all know what he looks like). There was a brass band on the jetty to welcome us and they had the most ill fitting pale blue outfits I've ever seen. Still, the thought was there.

IMG-3859-JPG-6319df4046ab34dc42567b64909

Some scrap PE netting from spares will do. That way I don't have to do anything to the QD

20220804-114728.jpg

• Like 6

Transom flap. These were added to ships during upgrades during their life span. Various images on tinternet show ships of the class with or without them during their service. From the previous posted image you can see something from the boot topping which extends below the waterline and around the hull. The kit doesn't have this so yep, Trumpy strikes again. A right old mixey blob of fits. Looks like a bit of plasticard, scratching and swearing will be next on the agenda. 

20220804-135348.jpg

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

Starting work on the transom flap. Much to be done here.

20220805-110002.jpg

This rather nice set arrived today from Peter Hall at Atlantic Models

20220805-110037.jpg

Edited by skwonk
  • Like 5

It was the last 'different' '23 I was on. These included in no particular order; Marlborough, Lancaster, Richmond, Argyll, Somerset, Sutherland, Westminster, Iron Duke and Kent. There was also a '42 stretchy; York, '22b3 Cumberland, LPD; Bulwark, RFA; Argus and a short stint on USS Harry S Truman.

I can probably remember more of the internal fitments than exterior. Anyway, not much done since I got in from work. Just a bit of porridge on the transom to set overnight and removal of the risible molded excuse for a cable on the fo'c'sle. Thankfully there's a stock PE cable on the Peter Hall set.

20220805-223813.jpg

• Like 4

Primer on everything..

20220806-190424.jpg

...including the 'helicopter' shapes.Is it a Lynx Mk3, 8 or Wildcat or Trumpy's own Lyncat?

20220806-190550.jpg

🤣🤣.... never have I seen these (H57 circled) in this colour. A ruddy brown is the best way I would describe the colour of the Harpoon blast deflectors.

20220806-190456.jpg

How they are in 1/1 scale; HMS Monmouth's example. Note forward slope of superstructure directly beneath the bridge. And the rust. Fo'c'sle or Top Part of Ship have their work to do here by the looks of it.

belfast-northern-ireland-30th-nov-2013-w

Edited by skwonk
  • Like 6

After a good 10hrs in the scratcher helped by the aid of the above images of gentle seas I managed to get some top coat grey on the hull and upper scupper bits. Humbrol 127. (In my view Humbrol nailed this colour and it should be renamed Top Coat Grey) from the paint shop midships blasted over everything even the guardrails. No, guardrails aren't grey. The solid fixed ones are a dull aluminium and the rest are black as they have plastic sleeves over their length with only the extreme end attachments in a dull metal where they connect to the uprights.

20220807-165623.jpg

Notice the 'four five' has a grey barrel. No, no and no. They're black! I once saw a very good build of a '23 in '350 scale and something wasn't quite right and then there it was; the barrel was grey. Yep, the ha'peth of tar so to speak. I've also made a teeny blast bag for it which will be dutifully coloured a dirty greyish brown colour.

20220807-165643.jpg

• Like 6

Lower hull sprayed.

20220808-122700.jpg

HMS Argyll in 'The Sheds.' Notice the weld seams on the hull sides.

HMS-Argyll-Frigate-Refit-Complex-2-1.jpg

The 'Sheds' in Devonport. To the left in front of Lowden Building is the area where decommissioned subs go. There are others out of shot....

48865381393-d124322d0b-b.jpg

....including these.

Warspiteconquerorvaliant.jpg

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

Nice Skwonk.😬👍

Would that large tent jobbie behind the turret be erected because of secrecy or the need for cleanliness?

Could be anything really. Not sure when this image is from.

Anyway, 'four five, engage.' Turret looks clunky in this shot. My new phone when zoomed in picks up all sorts of stuff but not the bristles on the brush by the looks of it.

20220808-131132.jpg

At least Trumpy managed to mold the access door aft. No, people don't sit and load shells in here

20220808-131141.jpg

• Like 7