AIRFIX 1/76TH SCALE SCORPION / SCIMITAR

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Everyone 😀

I was obsessed with Scorpion Tanks when i was a kid. I had the Action man one, which my dad painted green and black,and a Dinky one and then some sort of White Metal/Diecast polished job on a wood base that was not to be played with and remained on my shelf for years. 

The Airfix Scorpion, for me, epitomises those wonderful growning up days of the late 70s, early 80s 😀 Ive lost count how many I've built, each one trying to be better than the last...Then they just disappeared and when they did pop up they were in the 'HOW MUCH!'catagory. Finally tho, one was given to me in a kit swap, or rather, the guy forgot it was in the same box 😀

I think this one is from around '94

IMG_20220730_155317_106.thumb.jpg.f4b2a0a1833221d9f93e95db4368f05c.jpg

It really isnt a very complex kit, and to be honest, it really isnt a very good kit (There will be swearing)....those tracks....😶

IMG_20220730_155146_259.thumb.jpg.9daf8d4f42d4b75ff0ca6d661505d200.jpg

Oh yes..... its tiiiiiiny😀

IMG_20220730_140451.thumb.jpg.839230c46a3a84fb8088545714274f6b.jpg

I want to get the wheels and tracks out of the way asap, so ill be onto those chop chop,but first job is to remove the wading gear from around the top of the mudguards 

Laaaaaatuuuuuuuuur 

• Like 6

I built quite a few of Airfix AFV when I was a kid and at the time two of them were my favourites - the Matilda and the Scorpion. I've no idea why they were my favourites. I'd like to build both of them again but as you say - the price :o  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

you can build the original Matilda from the Hedgehog kit

Good point Batman - I've added it to my wishlist for when I next do an order...probably 2028. :smile:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Gorby said:

two of them were my favourites - the Matilda and the Scorpion.

I liked the Matilda because it was a fairly solid  model when finished, with a bit of weight to it - it felt very "tanky".  Wouldn't mind building another one, actually.

• Like 2

Although I've never built this kit I have had a wee shot of the real thing so will be watching your progress for a slightly different take on the nostalgia trip. Model on good sir :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Afternoon Everyone :analintruder:

I started today off with the best of intentions.... 

I had an idea. Something we didnt have when we were building this as kids that will help with those wonky wheels... Superglue!

Itll certainly hold the sproket and idlers on more firmly, and hopefully the wheels too.

The entire chassis took about 4 minutes to glue together 😬, and then the idlers and sprockets were glued on with Superglue.

20220731_154423.thumb.jpg.bb3c8d4477be5bf9089ebeb0ce808026.jpg

The wheels were then added, and I thought the best way to tackle those bloody tracks is glue them on. 

2 things.... You built this as a kid? You couldnt get the tracks to fit without the wheels popping off?, well its because the tracks are too short! Only by a couple of mm, but its those couple of mm that count... 😬

Secondly, the tracks are sheet. Not just an excuse, cant be arsed type of complaining, they really are sheet. 

So.... the tracks are glued down, both sides, broke in 2 places,

but I have a plan....

Have I showed you my 'tracky things tracks gluer downerer' before? 😬

20220731_161936.thumb.jpg.a06895d6fbb77a7fc982f3839625154d.jpg

While thats all happening, I'm busy removing the wading gear from around the edges of the mudguards

20220731_163109.thumb.jpg.118b39406edd1fb9f8103eb2a716b6ea.jpg

more stuff later then 😬

Send alcohol, might be need 😬

• Like 8
41 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

well its because the tracks are too short! Only by a couple of mm, but its those couple of mm that count... 😬

That's one I had with the tanky/craney thing I've just built. Bloody annoying.

Do the tracks glue with normal plastic glue? I can't imagine I used anything else when I was a kid.

13 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

Nope, we used that '88'* glue, if that couldnt stick it, it couldnt be stuck. That used to work on the Airfix tracks

* What was it called? Britfix or something?

Ahhh, I forgot about Britfix.

• Haha 2

Airfix tank tracks used to be made of stretchy black rubber, which melted when tube poly cement was applied (I used Britfix), I can't remember what I used that did the job - superglue didn't arrive until the mid/late 70s.  I do remember using staples sometimes.

• Like 2

Staples were always a good way of getting them together. But the old tracks still had the little pin and hole at the end that actually worked, you could press them together then melt them together... that  took a while to learn how to do 😬

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Have I showed you my 'tracky things tracks gluer downerer' before? 

20220731_161936.thumb.jpg.a06895d6fbb77a7fc982f3839625154d.jpg

Nice use of more Twin Star products there Steve :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Send alcohol, might be need 😬 

Do Tamiya not make alcohol? :wine:

2 hours ago, Hutch6390 said:

I use a block of wood - yours is multipurpose!

Must be something else Tamiya don't make :secret:

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Ahhh, I forgot about Britfix.

Probably due to the fumes :piliot:

• Haha 2

Lovely job Steve, i do like the old Airfix vehicles. Im doing the 1:35 AFV kit when i finally get round to it. So will be following along closely.

We too had the Action Man Scorpion, well my eldest Brother did, my elder brother had the dynamic chopperplane type contraption.  Whereas I had the Sailor Action man and he just came with a beard, eagle eyes and a tankard. Probably eagle eyes to make sure no one nicks his pint. I later found out, true to life, the matelot doesnt need tanks or contraptions when he has a full tankard! xD

Anyway, im drifting, crack on young man, looking gorward to seeing how this turns out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
13 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

I was actually looking at the Action Man Scorpion on the internet yesterday. Holy sheet we should have held onto them. :yes:

We weren't rich enough for me to have a Action Man tank. :crybaby: (we really need a emojiwhatsit with a violinist playing a very very sad song.) I had the AM armoured car - second hand. (see, that emoji would have been useful there as well :yes:).

I never realised (because we were so poor obviously :crybaby:) that there were so many vehicles for AM. https://www.actionmanhq.co.uk/pages/vehicle-gallery.php

• Haha 4
4 hours ago, Gorby said:

We weren't rich enough for me to have a Action Man tank. :crybaby: (we really need a emojiwhatsit with a violinist playing a very very sad song.) I had the AM armoured car - second hand. (see, that emoji would have been useful there as well :yes:).

I never realised (because we were so poor obviously :crybaby:) that there were so many vehicles for AM. https://www.actionmanhq.co.uk/pages/vehicle-gallery.php

Oh you poor thing....😉

WOW!, I never knew there were so many different vehicles. (The Racing Car... kuuuuwell) I had the Helicopter too, and a truck, but that wasnt AM. I would have loved some of those. Dixie I built an AM Headquarters out of two boxes in my bedroom. It was nifty, had a bed and a desk, a weapons rack and a fridge i stole from my sisters Barbie house 😬

My dad took pictures with his new polaroid camera, man i wish i could find those photos. 😬

• Like 4

Afternoon Everyone :analintruder:

Ok, lets get this back on track. 

Yes, those sh***y tracks again. There isnt much can be done about them so they are going to need some dirt on them...

The floatation screen was removed and the area sanded down. Then the inside of the front and rear mudguards were thinned down until finally the hull and the chassis can actually be joined together. 

As well as muddy surroundings lots of the pictures show the Scorpions and Scimitars on the island had loads of stuff on them, so Ive started adding some stuff. 

20220806_162008.thumb.jpg.7c5ec6551048ebe1a8fa0a98d28142e3.jpg

More goodies will be added later, but I needed to get this next bit done first; adding a camo net. 

I was planning to do it in something like milliput, but seeing as I dont have something like milliput, i went for a shufti around and found some gauze swab pads. Rolled up, glued down and then painted over with watered down white glue.

20220806_170203.thumb.jpg.19224486168f6111409619a069c0c12d.jpg20220806_170228.thumb.jpg.a11f898c8a7f9c95d9691f078596176c.jpg

The lead foil bits are whats going to be hiding gaps in the tracks and are still a work in progress. Need to find some figures for this, I feel a visit to the model shop coming on 😬

Thats it for now 

• Like 8