Sprockets Di cast model restoration side show

1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

blindfolded.

Personally I'd go with the full face mask with oxygen supply rather than the blindfold. :crazy:

The ambulance is looking great. How would they originally have painted the two tone colour? I doubt they would have masked it.

• Haha 1
On 8/14/2022 at 6:17 PM, Gorby said:

Personally I'd go with the full face mask with oxygen supply rather than the blindfold. :crazy:

The ambulance is looking great. How would they originally have painted the two tone colour? I doubt they would have masked it.

IIRC Gorbs, (which is both highly unlikely and dangerous) they used to dip the body shells, But then I cant remember breakfast so pay no heed to me.... :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I purchased a second hand motor this weekend, needs a bit of work, well quite a lot really, hasn't passed an MOT since 1985 according to the tax disc on the floor of the cab, I can see it through a corner of the window.

EgyZTLi.png

I'll get some thick chunky farm tyres for it, it's not gonna make it over the farm in those thin Mr Magoo Tyres someone fitted.

it's gonna need a new from Bumper.

axEGUqT.png

the the tailgate is "gone Macready, it's gone" So I have some fabrication work to do.

0uXeDky.png

the glass will need a good clean up, no idea what condition the interior is in, I don't have the keys yet, don't even know if it has an engine under the bonnet.

a83rJMn.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

yes, it'll get the iconic Landrover spare on the bonnet, just wouldn't look right without one would it.

off with the base rivet heads and off with the base showing the original colour, yellow. But I want mine dark green.

MrZvHYL.jpg

i'll have to remake the glass as it's cracked and unsightly, no problem, in fact I can improve it as the two front panes are bowed with the corg piece, but two seperate panes will fit better.

AgKGcwW.png

into the hotdog jar with the body shell.

pp14mMe.png

a bubble and fizz with the boiling water with a tablespoon of caustic soda.

TNSTjJE.png

out and there is still traces of the yellow in the corners, the dremel with a brush will sort that.

S97PsWn.png

the dremel cutting off the remains of the tailgate.

pkvbrJy.png

then cutting off the broken bumper leaving the supports in place.KAAMzQi.png

then using the pe bender to fashion a bumper from pe frame.

CJoj9qP.png

nice fit, with a drop of superglue to fix it in place.

78r6lnK.png

• Like 5

I thnk you're right, this may have been the base model for the Daktari set.

the tailgate cut out and the bottom edge being filed smooth.

LcnUK6q.png

the real thing, I'll remake the tailgate with plasticard with all those strengthening bars and edges.

sgZDygY.png

the body shell in grey primer.

baGOAP1.jpg 

I wanted a green landrover, so I used Vellejo Gunship green as it's the closest I have to proper Landrover green, being matt finish, it'll need a coat of varnish to semi gloss it up a bit. 

pZanLpD.png

I measured and cut panes of glass from clear styrene sheet and glued them in with gorilla clear. These di cast restos are only short re-builds, but they're just a bit of fun arn't they, a departure from the more complex and longer kit builds.

4XVZooJ.png

• Like 5

That's looking better already. I think I had the Daktari set. My mate had much better collection of this stuff and I can't remember if it was his or mine. Probably his, he had all the good stuff (and weirdly, for a kid, put them back in the boxes each time).

• Haha 1

when the chunky tires arrive and I've made and fitted the tailgate, that landy will get some detail painting, till then I'll finish building USS Arizona, and inbetween it and the Dragon M16 Halftrack, I'll have a go at these three Dinkies.

they are, left to right Alvis, Sunbeam Talbot, and the little blue one is a Frazer Nash. IMG_4807_1_hyt8th.jpg

Hidden in the loft is a Dinky Lagonda that will fit right in there.

trio_of_dinky_sports_cars_overhead_yoa4c

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Update on the Landrover Pickup, new tyres, the tailgate made from plasticard, probably more detailed that the original, but it looks the part now it's painted to match.

tailgate_fitted_smqc3j.png

It's still not finished of course, I need the proper spare wheel instead of this one from the bottom of the spares box, it stil has the drum brake fitted making it stand too high up and giving the driver a blind spot, I bet the insurance would sky rocket.

wrong_spare_wheel_mhlvsj.png

I've been out spending cash at a toy Collexctors fair this morning, I don't know, this will be the ruin of me, I paid at least a fiver for these two James Bond DB5 wrecks, one is missing it's roof panel. Then I went and did what I promised myself I'd never do, I bought myself another Landrover Pickup, just look at the state of it, I've not even checked if it runs, it's a right shed. But it is different to the other Landrover in my collection of two Corgi Landrovers, this one has seats and a steering wheel, I can hear you all gasp in admiration.

two_scrap_JB_Aston_Martins_and_a_scrap_L

Edited by Sprocket
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

my best purchase is this lovely little 1930's Dinky Triumph, that will fit right in with my other three in the same era, it should display well with them alongside, when they're done up. The paints a bit worn and it has a headlamp missing, but I have a few in the spares box from a sherman tank that might fit.

Dinky_Triumph_ftx4i3.png

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

the DB5 is actually based on a DB4, You can tell this by the different front end and the DB4 had just one filller cap at the back, this one has a list of deficiencies that would make Q Branch Blanch "I said bring it back in one piece, not bring back one piece"

JB3_dzxdqk.png

broken windscreen, bent forward roof, ejector seat not working, front guns component jammed backward under the front, bullet proof shield at the back lop sided.

JB1_q0sc7h.png 

and Commander Bond, it's taken on a list to Starboard, so the suspension is kaput. Quite a list to fix.Making this the donor car for the other one that does have a roof panel.

JB2_zyenlo.png

The Triumph, I'm really taken with...

Dinky_Triumph_pre_restoration_gv_quhxy6.

Edited by Sprocket
spelling
  • Like 2