Trumpeter 1/72 MiG-31 Foxhound

Morning all,

My third completion of the year, Trumpeter's MiG-31. I finished this model back in March shortly after Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and thought it prudent to hold it back given the timing and sensitivities around the war. Hopefully I've not jumped the gun even now in that respect... The kit itself is pretty nice, although it became a bit of a slog, with lots of mistakes along the way, including snapping one of the fins off during decalling.... The decals themselves were largely useless, so I ended up purchasing a Begemot sheet to use in their place, otherwise what you see is how it comes from the box. Finished using MRP for the main grey with the details picked out in Hataka Orange Line and Alclad as usual.

52146830792_fa1e458259_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 MiG-31 Foxhound by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

52148340385_7051eb3b7f_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 MiG-31 Foxhound by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

52146830757_3ba0d53cf9_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 MiG-31 Foxhound by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

52148340355_cb165500bc_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 MiG-31 Foxhound by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

52146830797_4064d78498_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 MiG-31 Foxhound by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed

Shaun

• Like 13

Nice work, mate! A couple of questions - did you use Traffic Grey from MRP? Because it looks way lighter than on my build. And I've seen a similar thing not long ago on another model. And is there an option in this kit of different exhaust nozzles? Cause the ones on the model were present just on the prototypes and didn't get into the production examples.

• Like 1

Cheers Seb, yes I used the Traffic Grey. It does look a little light to my eye too, not least because I lightened it further for shading, but it's close enough for me. There are a couple of exhaust options, I went with the instructions as I couldn't see any obvious differences and wouldn't know any better anyway!

Nice model, really like the subtle shading and all those stencils.

Found out who Boris Safonov was too - an ace in the Northern Fleet Air Force who was killed on 30th May 1942 when the engine failed on his P-40 and he crashed into the sea. He'd just scored his 18th, 19th and 20th kills, all Ju 88s that were attacking arctic convoy PQ-16 that he was covering as they approached Murmansk.

Andy

• Like 1