Sign in to follow this  
Grunhertz

Revell HMCS Snowberry

So I've just started this and its a place holder for in progress shots and this is a ship kit I AM going to finish (my track record isn't good so ill be looking for encouragement) 

I have sovereign Hobbies colour coats for the main paint and this will not be the masterclass that is Pauls' build of its big brother

so watch this space and something will be along soon

• Like 5

Go Darren, Go! In case you didn’t recognise it, that was your encouragement. Now crack on.

If you need generic photo’s etc, just shout out. This section would welcome another build right now.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mulder1966 said:

I'm in for the duration, can't wait to see some pics. Will you be using any etch Darren?

If I do it'll be railings only 

• Like 1

Can't wait for this build. I have the picnic table set up with beer and crisps, 🍻

and magnifying glass to make sure the railings are straight 🔎

• Haha 2

Here's the start and, for a new tool i did expect a little better in a place or two, the hull requires a bit of sanding and filling but no more than i would expect, but the transom? (i think its called is requiring quite a bit of work. 

IMG_1704.thumb.JPG.c14cfab1cbfadc71daa16f58333c8884.JPG

IMG_1705.thumb.JPG.6656f655b3099787838842264ee38144.JPG

IMG_1708.thumb.JPG.3b2297f29a96bbe709ed9bc300034b18.JPG

thats the first lot of filling and sanding and it looks like its going to take a bit

I have to say someone isnt impressed 

IMG_1709.thumb.JPG.8483387626fd564ae55d5f625aeea9f7.JPG

IMG_1712.thumb.JPG.50646dbff4f21a30b772afb0dd4dc523.JPG

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

IMG_1712.thumb.JPG.50646dbff4f21a30b772afb0dd4dc523.JPG

Your dog has perfected the "nobody loves me, nobody feeds me" look, or are these creatures born with the ability to make you feel guilty?

• Like 3

That does look like  a poor fit Darren, don't forget ships are made from great lumps of steel plate riveted together not the delicate panels that you get on aircraft. A bit more filler and a couple of coats of paint will soon hide that join. This turning into a perfect build log, ships and dogs, or dare I say an "Old Sea Dog"

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

So we have some progress 

the main decks and hull are painted, They will need some weathering, but on the whole the colourcoats paints were superb, (it did take me a while to get used to spraying enamels again) but so far so good

IMG_1742.thumb.JPG.f718ed6b8073fcc058820b0a4d0e3782.JPGIMG_1741.thumb.JPG.4d099dfd1bba60116e568abe5d0804bd.JPG

• Like 4

Discounting the dog, it has taken you only five pictures to get to the same stage that has taken me fourteen months 😂😂

That apart, it sure is looking good 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

Discounting the dog, it has taken you only five pictures to get to the same stage that has taken me fourteen months 😂😂

That apart, it sure is looking good 👍🏼

Yes but Paul I know which one I would rather have when finished and its not the one in this thread 

9 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

Starting to get busier now, how is the enjoyment factor so far?

It's OK I'm building a couple of the instruction pages at a time assembling what can be a sub assembly then painting those bits, placing them on and so on. The instructions are brilliant and logical but the fit for a 2017 tool is terrible. Particularly things like those vent things whatever they are called that look like trumpets. 

I have a 1975 matchbox wellington on the go too and that is a masterpiece in comparison as far as fit is concerned 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

I have a 1975 matchbox wellington on the go too and that is a masterpiece in comparison as far as fit is concerned 

Jammy sod! Always did like that box art.

We have some progress. I'm enjoying this but its certainly a different animal to building aircraft or armour in that there are loads and loads of little bits. i think of it like a large eduard 1/48 190A series from 10 years ago, lots of small pieces going to make a whole IMG_1751.thumb.JPG.1f933e64500fd367f21442132c2f281a.JPGIMG_1752.thumb.JPG.ca014769db0b762ce78fb68272e15f78.JPGIMG_1753.thumb.JPG.3ffcd21ffea6b7f3ae0902955d833047.JPGIMG_1754.thumb.JPG.81260b44699d811194270e22cabd5936.JPG

• Like 2

That's turning out rather nice Darren. Small pieces has always been the problem with building ships, trying to remove them and then cleaning up any mismatch, but you soon get used to building using a microscope, you'll soon be fully converted to floatie things,

Cheers Andy

That's looking great Darren, and progressing really quickly. 

If Toolmaker takes some notes from your build, he could finish his floaty things in a couple of weeks. :wink:

• Haha 2