BlackMike Models

BlackMike Models no longer able to sell products to Germany

BlackMike Models regrets, that with immediate effect, we are no longer able to sell any of our products to addresses in Germany.
This regrettable decision has been taken due to new packaging laws introduced unilaterally in Germany on the 1st January 2019. This new law effectively creates a trade barrier for Companies, even based in other countries within the EU, to sell into the German market without incurring significant additional costs or running the risk of prohibitive fines and other sanctions.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Confused 1

Further to my post above I am currently seeking clarification from my local MSP on this matter, to verify this law actually exists and if so the implications of it on businesses based in other parts of the EU other than Germany.

I am completely unaware of the EU having ratified this as they would have had to so I am hoping myself and many other online Traders have been takien in by a huge hoax but in the meantime I have no option other than to play it safe and pause sales to Germany.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Germany has been very active for a few decades in cutting down the amount of waste.
They have very stringent regulations for domestic waste disposal and fines for those that don't comply
It isn't so surprising that such a ruling be made on packaging 

https://packagingeurope.com/getting-ready-for-the-german-packaging-law/

I'm sorry it has had a detrimental effect on your store Duncan.
Hope you are able to resolve the issue satisfactorily 

• Thanks 1

I've spent the day hunting out more information and it would appear that the work and cost involved in registering and maintaining the paperwork to comply with this new Packaging Act is not worth the effort for me so selling to Germany is off the menu.

This new Act extends right down to people selling on Amazon, eBay and the other online sites, not just to Retailers with their own websites etc. I can see a lot of people ignoring the Act right up to the point they get slapped with the 200000€ fine but not me.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Walrus said:

Germany has been very active for a few decades in cutting down the amount of waste.
They have very stringent regulations for domestic waste disposal and fines for those that don't comply
It isn't so surprising that such a ruling be made on packaging 

https://packagingeurope.com/getting-ready-for-the-german-packaging-law/

I'm sorry it has had a detrimental effect on your store Duncan.
Hope you are able to resolve the issue satisfactorily 

That's actually the best link I've seen so far today (I'm fast becoming quite a connoisseur of German Packaging Act websites).

Duncan B

• Like 1

Keep at it Duncan.
You could set up a German Packaging consultancy business and make your fortune! lol

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2019 at 9:59 PM, Walrus said:

Keep at it Duncan.
You could set up a German Packaging consultancy business and make your fortune! lol

I actually did jokingly suggest that to Mrs B.

One thing's for sure the German Recycling Firms are the ones that will be rubbing their hands with delight. They'll be getting money for merely holding the names of foreign Companies on their files as I don't believe for a minute that they will actually be going round collecting those Companies' waste packaging. Can you imagine the environmental impact of all those different recycling vans going around collecting a box here and an envelope from there? There'd be gridlock and the smog from all those different vans would make LA's air quality look great.

This Law is a sop to the Green Parties with the added bonus of discouraging some foreign companies from trading in Germany in my opinion. The last order we dispatched to Germany was packaged in a box that originally came from a German Distributor so how's that for recycling lol.

Duncan B

• Like 1