Baureihe 03 Mehrzweck Lokomotive 1/87 Revell Germany

7 hours ago, Sprocket said:

this took ages to make up as the raised circles that have blighted this kit from the beginning, all needed sanding flush.

Those ejector pin marks have been an absolute pain on my last two builds.

• Like 1

Thanks one and all for you attention to this slow but steady build, not without it's problems, but any problem can be overcome in plastic, so long as it's worth the effort in the end.

kit Pipes going on under both sides of the cab.

kit_pipes_under_cab_dc0rlq.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gorby said:

Those ejector pin marks have been an absolute pain on my last two builds.

Is that what they are? I thought ejector pin marks were sunken, these are raised circles, the right size to be ejector pin marks mind. I'm used to filling the sunken holes with liquid filler, these aren't that bad as I can sand them out. Still a bug bear as it slows progress right up. You can see at least two I missed above, bloomin things!

the Tender chassis has these coupling and buffer parts at the rear.

fittings_on_rear_of_tender_chassis_nlvfb

I've got the exact mirror problem Gorby had, he needed coal for his tender, My abandoned train wouldn't have any in the coal scuttle/bunker part of the Tender, shame as the coal reproduction is exceptionally well done, I wouldn't paint that if I were using it as it shines like real coal.

realistic_coal_azwyyg.png

I can't shovel the coal out, and I can't cut the coal bit out as it's curve molded underneath, so I'm rebuilding the bunker top in plasticard.

rebuilding_the_coal_scuttle_eon5v0.png

• Like 3
1 hour ago, skwonk said:

What about getting some plastic 'coal' chippings from a model railway retailer and sticking on top of the moulded surface.

I think he's modeling it as a derelict cast off, and most of the coal wouldn't be in the tender.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the interest everybody, Skwonk, had to laugh at the suggestion of adding more coal after all the scratchbuilding I've done to get ride of it, but Gorby makes a point, would there still be traces left? Dunno, wish I'd had time to have done a proper photo study of it, I can imagine coal being shoveled out and used elsewhere, so some may have been missed.

on to the paint effect stages now, and first salt...

gPhGfCZ.png

each stage must be allowed to dry before the salt is brushed off, letting the paint break off rather than slide down.

Q6mItWn.png

it's a long winded process requiring patience and persistence.

JlJYN2m.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Gorby, it works well on a subject like this. second stage salt, let this dry properly before that salt gets brushed off.

mid_stage_black_A_i2hj3d.png

the sheer slab side of the tender will get special rust paint effects, a bit like the turret on the Chieftain target hulk I made recently. with rust streaming down it's sides.

mid_stage_black_b_oxiyvv.png

• Like 4

I'm planning to get it to look as close to this scene as possible, with weeds and grass growing up the wheels.

34 minutes ago, dixieflyer said:

I think it's great. As Miggers said, pair it up with a building from Faller or some other European model RR building kit maker and you'll be in business. 

some Corrugated tin sheds to one side perhaps. Oh no, look they're shiplap wood sheds.

JEop3lg.png

• Like 1