Baureihe 03 Mehrzweck Lokomotive 1/87 Revell Germany

hofC0Cd.png

This is only the second Loco kit I've ever attempted. Inspired by Gorby's Choo choo thread, It reminded me of a picture I took in Germany in 1987, on the outskirts of Graffenwoehr U.S. Army base we came across this old relic at the side of a country road, I hadn't been out of the School of Photography for long so I was shooting anything and everything. Glad I did now.

JEop3lg.png

so this is the plan, quite simple, make it like that. With all the rust, corrosion, peeling paint and weeds growing up the wheels.

Lets take a look inside the box. The kit provides a section of track long enough to cover the length of the loco and Tender, lucky, the scale is so obscure I doubt Hornby would be of any use here.

xHno2oi.png

• Like 2

the instruction sheet, quite basic, but workable.

aCe86Wr.png

the kit will need cheering up a bit, I may add a few steam pipes to liven it all up and make them look 3d.

6ZDcXHB.png

the control panel inside the cab is a bit molded, well it is molded one piece, see what can be done with that, replaced with styrene sheet and a few bolt holes where stuff has gone missing.

rsWz7gG.png

I don't think I'll be needing the coal, have to scrap that and build a rusty empty tender.

d0w3gSn.png

the wheels, at least they are commendably round.

gHTeGHa.png

• Like 4

Never understood why Elvis wanted a tender to love him.
He was a good looking dude.  He could have had any part of a train fall for him.

Love me tender
Love me do,
Because you're full of coal.
Oh my darling
I'll love you,
You make my wheels roll.

Nice one Sprocket.

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, Walrus said:

Never understood why Elvis wanted a tender to love him

He wanted it to love his deer as well, which was a bit disturbing -

Love me tender, love me deer,

All my dreams fulfil

Sounds like he had problems, if you ask me...

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, Sprocket said:

the control panel inside the cab is a bit molded, well it is molded one piece, see what can be done with that, replaced with styrene sheet and a few bolt holes where stuff has gone missing.

rsWz7gG.png

Ahem! That's called the backhead if memory serves. At least that's what it's called on US locos.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Miggers said:

That's interesting Miggers, I thought I wouldn't need any thing else save weeds growing up the rusty wheels, but I may be able to make the old shed in the picture too.

the first parts arc welded together, the three pieces that make up the chassis.

first_steps_gp2xb3.png

the six large wheels have raised circles to be sanded flush.

wheel_woes_zofmdy.png

they also need the axle hole drilled out.

wheel_woes_b_s3vyy7.png

the circles would have interfered with the fit of the wheels on the axles.

wheels_fitted_a_lsvoty.png

first light coat of Halfords plastic red primer.

six_wheels_on_the_chassis_i1ijqo.png

It's refreshing, making something out of the ordinary for me, for a change.

steam_boxs_mscalb.png

• Like 5

while they dry, I'll leap forward over several assembly stages, and join the two boiler halves.

boiler_first_step_wt97j7.png 

there's a visible join line that needs time, attention and various grades of sand paper.

boiler_a_jczzmv.png 

finishing off with fine Emery cloth to try and eradicate it.

boiler_join_line_b_pvt1ui.png

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

Brake shoes for the main wheels fitted.

brake_shoes_fitted_wzxkar.png

I'm guessing that this is a compressed gas cylinder to operate the brakes?

compressed_gas_cylinder_mgmuei.png

A quick and easy way to check all wheels down, not me going Chuff chuff chuff, but I'm noy denying that may or may not have taken place, bit distracted to be honest, I mean 4-nil to Brighton, against a premier football team, Manchester united, what strange days we are living.

all_wheels_down_a_hccanr.png

Then it happened, inevitable really when you take your eye off the ball, I noticed that the rear carriage had it's connecting pin in too hard, and as such was forcing the rear main wheel pair up off the rails, I got into an tizzy and made a mess, then, STOP!

Untitled_yrkn6h.png

Stripped it all back while the glue was still pliable, cleaned it up, and stripped it down. This little rear under cab carriage was causing woe out of all proportion to it's parts numbers, re-assembled the left side frame, had a shower, assembled the right side frame, put the coffee pot on the stove, assembled the wheels back on, cleaned my teeth ready for beddy-bies, when I got up Sunday morning it looked good, ready for some primer.

Edited by Sprocket
typo
  • Like 4

This morning the front and rear...lets call them Trucks, in primer, it's important that they are loose fitted to the chassis, almost allowing them to dangle, so they don't force the main wheels up off the rails. New pin hole drilled in the rear two wheel truck, now to find or make a new pin.

front_and_rear_trucks_gpbm3b.png

• Like 4

Here's a great video by Mark Felton on German War trains still in Service, if you haven't seen any of Marks films, I can't recommend them enough, well researched and fascinating, worth subscribing to his channel.

• Like 3

For any building scenery you fancy adding,it might be an idea to have a look here:

https://www.faller.de/en/

Their stuff is all to 1/87 or HO scale and German or Austrian styles.

There is also Woodland Scenics,their stuff is also to 1/87,but is mainly aimed at the Murrycan market.

British stuff,such as Peco or Superquick do make some 1/87,but theirs are mainly aimed at the 1/76 scale

or OO markets and tend to be British>

Superquick:https://www.superquick.co.uk/model-kits

Peco: https://peco-uk.com/pages/peco-products

• Like 2

Great progress, @Sprocket, this is coming on in leaps & bounds.

1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

This little rear under cab carriage was causing woe out of all proportion to it's parts numbers, re-assembled the left side frame, had a shower, assembled the right side frame, put the coffee pot on the stove, assembled the wheels back on, cleaned my teeth ready for beddy-bies, when I got up Sunday morning it looked good, ready for some primer.

Well done, a calm & measured approach, such as I always employ in any situation :hrhr:  I admire your restraint, not always easy to do, but always produces better results, as shown here.

lets call them Trucks

Bogies (honest) - let your inner 5-year old giggle!

I have to say that red primer looks really smart, must think of something I can use that on as a finish...

• Like 2

Here's a great video by Mark Felton on German War trains still in Service, if you haven't seen any of Marks films, I can't recommend them enough, well researched and fascinating, worth subscribing to his channel.

Looks like they run with the cylinder drain cocks permanently open too.

They're usually left open when the cylinders are cold to help stop the steam condensing and

damaging the piston seals,so running hot cylinders with them open must lose a fair bit of power.

• Like 1

Nice work Sprocket! 
Coming along nicely.

fwiw thought I was subbed to Mark Felton's channel 
He makes some cool content.  Must have been on my other account so have subbed on my main account now.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Hutch6390 said:

Bogies (honest) - let your inner 5-year old giggle!

I have to say that red primer looks really smart, must think of something I can use that on as a finish...

Bogies they are from now on.

The Halfords plastic primer, brilliant stuff, quality can and nozzle too, £7, but worth every penny, nice thin easy to paint over surface, use it in the shed though and wear a face mask, or hold your breath and run out after you've sprayed it.

eBp5MIA.png

• Haha 2