The Type 87 Self-propelled Anti-aircraft Gun is a Japanese air defence weapon built around the Oerlikon 35 mm twin cannon system as used on the Gepard self-propelled anti-aircraft gun. The system uses a modified Type 74 tank chassis. It is also nicknamed by field officers as "Guntank" after the similar-looking mecha in the Mobile Suit Gundam series.

JcsPkPo.jpg

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Some progress. I have completed stages 1 and 2 of construction. Only another 5 to go. 

Turret and radar array.

TIROS5O.jpg

Radar just resting in my acco... resting on the turret, while the Shilka sidles up for a size comparison. Remember the Type 87 is still only 1/72.

L1MThqc.jpg

The plastic is quite hard and the sprue gates are quite big which makes cleaning up harder than it could be. They've made some interesting design decisions too; the turret hatch base is a clear part which presumably you're supposed to mask and paint leaving the little windows clear. Same with a part on the front left of the radar thathas three bumps (it has it's own section in the instructions but I don't read Japanese so I can't enlighten any of us. Comparing kanji with the paint list shows it doesn't appear to refer to paint). Yeah, about those Mr Fujimi...

There are two kits in the box, so still time for sprue shots, and a little variation in the finished models.

Andy

Edited by Tolvcat
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

Turret construction is complete. I'm sorely tempted to find some space cruiser to stick this on rather than a tank hull - it's crying out to be painted silver with big numbers and some heavy weathering (and where do they find all that dust and dirt in space?). I've added the guns, a storage bin(?), several aerials and some gluey finger marks for old times' sake :D

KeshChn.jpg

minu7Ts.jpg

You can just see the sights/viewing wossnames in front of the main hatch in this shot. They came as a big chunk of clear plastic inserted from inside the turret and then the covers were glued over the top. Jolly clever, but I bet I manage to paint over everything and render it pointless. Ah well :)

pP9qyDy.jpg

Probably ought to see if I can get the guns level before they stick solid. Anyhoo, onwards and downwards. On my word, unleash hull!!

Andy

Edited by Tolvcat
  • Like 6

Today I have been playing with paint. I have a MIG Ammo set I got for the pile of Revell modern German kits in the stash, and the colours looked about right for the Japanese camo so I went with them. Odd paints, they're... not acrylics, so they don't clean with water but they also don't smell and need a couple of coats to get good coverage, just like my Vallejo stuff which definitely is acrylic. Maybe they're acrylic laquer - is that even a thing?

Used the NATO Green and NATO Brown for the camo, then a spot of the Vallejo Dark Blue Grey I usually use for Panzergrau for the radar faces. Final bit was me new secret weapon; Vallejo Tech light grey ink. Intended for Sci Fi and Mecha weathering this stuff is magic in a pot. Watered down, it gives everything a nice toned down look without obviously altering the colour. Pin washes straight ftom the bottle then fill in panel lines, and give definition to detail without being as stark as black so you can see details without the whole model looking toy like. I love it.

This is where the turret is after that treatment:

iIPJv7A.jpg

Fujimi give you markings for 23 vehicles(!!!) from 6 units. There's a big table in the instructions showing which registrations and individual numbers go with which unit. Might have a play around with some of them and complete the turret before I start on the hull. See how the fancy takes me :)

Andy

• Like 5

Got the hull together and added a couple of towing eyes and the rear basket, which I painted just because it looked like a fun thing to do :) Painted the hull sides too as there is camouflage visible behind the roadwheels.

I went a bit off piste adding the wheels and tracks which has left me with some ugly joints and a lot of touching up now I know which bits are visible at normal viewing angles. The tracks are four pieces each side, and it feels from the tread pattern that at least one of them is running backwards.

BtjdPlR.jpg

Wra7AoO.jpg

Games Workshop provided the colours for the tracks - a base of Leadbelcher (kind of gun metal) with an overpaint of Thingummy Sepia (the lighter of the two brown inks I have).

Couldn't resist having a play to get an idea of what it will look like finished. Boys and their toys, eh? :D 

SAvp7Vy.jpg

I can foresee more of this happening over the weekend. Still have to decide on markings, that will be exciting :/ 

Andy

• Like 5

Looking again at the box art and having asked Steve what he is using on his JGSDF build (go and check out his build thread in the AFV section if you haven't already, all kinds of interesting in there :) ) I think the green I'm using is OK but my brown is a bit too dark. It's done now though, so I'll just have to live with it.

Wheels tidied up and tracks glued back on. Think everything is stuck now.

K49E3oJ.jpg

Completed 99% of construction too, and slapped some paint around this morning. There are checkerplate style anti slip panels all over the hull top, and all sorts of lumps, bumps, tools and access hatches it would be good to be able to see so everything got a liberal dousing in Vallejo Tech light grey ink again.

ssuicdu.jpg

And the money shot to finish :) Detail painting and lights to fit then decals to decide on and add then it will be about ready for the gallery.

J3LSuRR.jpg

Toodle pip until the next time.

Andy

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Gorby said:

Nicely painted Andy.

47 minutes ago, dixieflyer said:

Great job on such a tiny thing Andy.

Thank you both. Wait until it's finished though, then we'll see - I can see about a million hours worth of detail painting and touch ups just in that last picture. I'm glad the owners kept them pristine so I don't have to worry about weathering on top of that :) 

Andy

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

All of a sudden  construction was complete. Fujimi san gives you decals for all the light lenses but then hides the lights under brush guards so overscale you've got no chance of seeing them so I didn't use them because life (like me legs) is too short and hairy.

There's a plethora (and thank you to whoever taught me that word, it means a lot) of tools on the engine deck to paint, and a spare track link and tow rope to add. So I did.

LCNtywP.jpg

8utWOER.jpg

There are, perhaps inevitably, another couple of touch ups required, then it's decal time. 

Andy

Edited by Tolvcat
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2