Grant

1/72 Fujimi Phantom FGR2 "Alcock & Brown"

As it is 2019, this was the year to build this kit!

The kit is OK, but it is only designed to stand on its undercarriage so the U/C doors are a poor closed fit, and there are several vent openings that need closing up. Everything else went together quite well and it looks a good shape to me.

The decals went on OK with liberal use of Micro Sol and a hairdryer. They are a bit thick and did crack in a few places around those compound curves – don’t look too closely!! I also had a problem with them bubbling up in a couple of places when I applied the varnish (Klear). I have not seen that before, but a pin prick and some more Micro Sol just about sorted it. I did have a few red stripe bits break off and vanish but luckily H220 is a pretty good match.

pic-1.jpg

pic-2.jpg

pic-3.jpg

pic-4.jpg

pic-5.jpg

pic-6.jpg

And then, as a tribute to the original Atlantic crossing, I painted the silhouette of a Vimy on the rolling North Atlantic base.

pic-7.jpg

pic-8.jpg

And yes, the port tank decal is mis-aligned (Grrrr!!)

Cheers

Grant

• Like 7

Nice model, precise and clean. Perhaps too shiny. You did not do the whatering to highlight the paneling?
Congratulations, you have applied the decals very well

Hi Bonovox,

I do not like too heavily weathered models, especially in 1/72. Plus this is a "special" scheme - so I left it factory fresh. The decals could have gone down a bit better, but as long as you don't look too closely it looks fine. A nice, colourful addition to the display case.

Cheers

Grant

On 20/02/2019 at 20:41, Grant said:

Hi Bonovox,

I do not like too heavily weathered models, especially in 1/72. Plus this is a "special" scheme - so I left it factory fresh. The decals could have gone down a bit better, but as long as you don't look too closely it looks fine. A nice, colourful addition to the display case.

Cheers

Grant

😉 congratulations again

Edited by bonovox

That's fantastic, I haven't seen too many of the special scheme completed. The Fujimi Phantom is still THE Phantom to have in 1/72 scale in my opinion and you can see why here (can you imagine trying to get the decals to go down over the Airfix trenches?).

Very nice indeed and well displayed.

Duncan B