Sign in to follow this  
Gimmie Shelter

British Airways L1011 TriStar - Negus & Negus Livery

Thanks to you who have followed the kit over on the WIP forum pages. I've got to the end of another production line in 1/200 completing the very original Hasegawa L1011 kit from 1980 wearing the British Airways Negus & Negus livery - the new airlines first livery since the merger of BOAC and BEA.

The kit has Nazca Decals detailing set decals and the original kit decals which needed to be lacquered before use to hold the detail together.  The model has not turned out as well as hoped for several reasons: I chose to airbrush in enamels on this occasion and also, the flaps and slats should really have been made using thin and sharply cut plasticard as opposed to re-using the pieces removed from the wing edges - it looks a bit too clunky for my likings in 1/200 with these modifications using such thick original moulded plastic.

All in all though, like the majority of Japanese kits, this little Love Liner200 is an accurate and beautiful model to build.

Born in 1967, for me, this is a nice reminder of what the UK skies of my childhood looked liked like - my Dad skippered on these for a number of years before 747's and I can remember many jump seat trips up front on the Tristar; the flight deck was huge and the visibility was amazing. It is so sad that the age of the true widebody tri-jets is over and will never be seen again.

DSCF8494

DSCF8495

DSCF8498

DSCF8487

DSCF8482

DSCF8480

DSCF8478

DSCF8476

DSCF8464

DSCF8462

DSCF8461

DSCF8477

Thanks for looking in

John

• Like 4

That's gorgeous! Those windows look awesome but it's the wings that are the biggest draw card for me - that pant work is fantastic and the dropped flaps, slats and so on look great

Looking forward to seeing more airliners from you John

• Thanks 1

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:43, Madhatter Mk2 said:

That's gorgeous! Those windows look awesome but it's the wings that are the biggest draw card for me - that pant work is fantastic and the dropped flaps, slats and so on look great

Looking forward to seeing more airliners from you John

Cheers there

I intend to attempt a flaps and slats down 1/200 747 soon. I have plenty of decal sets to choose from but I have a niggling preference to do a BA One World version as I see them going up and down every day from my bedroom window nearby LHR

It’s a real surprise how drawn to these I am. The credit of course goes to your excellent work, both in the build and the display. If it wasn’t for the “rod” I would be easily fooled by the realism. Great stuff.

Thanks

Paul