Invictaag

MK1 "Male" Tank, Masterbox 1:72 Scale

I had planned to build a DH2 but I don't want it to get damaged during a house move so I thought I would try something totally different and build a Tank. I choose the MK1 Somme Battle "Male" tank from Masterbox, it's 1:72 scale so not too big and not too many parts, it also has some Photoetch as well although there is no mention of it on the box. Despite it being in a collapsible bax the contents were undamage.

6h0rRjfnWKFcBY3zEqrhDmaqLhBxyWNicdh5Uem1

ru068A_SWCaQ77nsaR1bv8M_XL7RXo054nd2XjlF

NYJVlZJ81SvP-cTzyUbOjrZqnxOYHHUPKZcKovZa

inFvqa0cJVw8lVyfUvB3SD7HGi8tkwwSmzCVbRbU

I decided to start with the small Trolley that the Tank tows. I started by making the frame from 2 pieces and then the 4 parts for the wheels were glued together. These needed a bit of cleaning up first of all and were a little bit fragile. Once the wheels were fitted I then glued on the hub caps. This just leaves a piece of P.E. to fit to the plate over the axle.

Fc7FftBSEsgHvlgHEJupM_tuqhOAaCA76-aOs95f

MTUCZ1kVhP2CD9J45FGQwO868viRdzy-QABl4BrR

iU3n5roSUsr5OcWXuxATYTY-hJ4nTDDTursJmYeY

lGBNvx9ZzKnT-dL2heZO7AgB_FOQKbmB3phdkJrC

rq-Gelor7iQ8qA75doM5iR8ZrGB0wpl4BV7wbuAl

Cheers Andy

• Like 5

In a quirky way this isn’t too far off your norm Andy, I believe in the early days they were known as Landships !

The “trolly” was supposed to help with the steering (it was controlled by wires and pulleys from inside) but once they realised it was equally effective to stand on the left or right side brake they sacked it off.

Enjoy your build, I will keep an eye out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

In a quirky way this isn’t too far off your norm Andy, I believe in the early days they were known as Landships !

The “trolly” was supposed to help with the steering (it was controlled by wires and pulleys from inside) but once they realised it was equally effective to stand on the left or right side brake they sacked it off.

Enjoy your build, I will keep an eye out.

I had heard mentioned that were also known as Landships Paul. I did wonder about the reason for the trolley because I have seen later MK1 tanks without them. I thought they might be to carry a Picnic Hamper for the regiment's officers once the men had strolled over and captured the German trenches.

Cheers Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Nice to see another Master Box Tank make an appearance. They are great kits just remember to fit the sponsons on the right way round (unlike me). 

Duncan B

19 hours ago, Gorby said:

Looking good so far. It looks a surprisingly detailed kit for the scale.

There is a lot of detail and it doesn't look over scale to me (what would I know about tanks).

You mean I have to follow the instructions Duncan, you high lighting it means I'll be under pressure to get it right, so I'll probably end up glueing them on upside down as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1