Aside from the pointy nose, I'm not entirely sure what modifications I need to make. But I get to paint another aircraft completely red, so I'm happy haha

28 minutes ago, Long said:

Aside from the pointy nose, I'm not entirely sure what modifications I need to make. But I get to paint another aircraft completely red, so I'm happy haha

Have a shufty here mate:

https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/museum-aircraft/hawker-hunter-mk3

Dual side mounted airbrakes,re-heated Avon tailpipe and that pointy pointy nose.

I remember seeing her when she was at Cosford,she's certainly red,very red indeed.

• Like 2
On 03/03/2022 at 17:32, Long said:

I'm not entirely sure what modifications I need to make.

Straight leading edge to wings.

Cut off the dog tooth.

The airbrakes were removed for the record flight.

The windscreen had another one added to front. This caused problems and was later removed.

hawker_hunter_f_3-73701.jpg

Here's a nice wee film:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, RWG686 said:

nice wee film

I do love those old newsreel type films.

22 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Cut off the dog tooth.

Do you know why they have that bit?

Well, last things first, chopped off the chunky pitot tube:

y4mFcd6qdVMsDCY3QlR6VcQhAkPYUNfauc8kzRfp

y4m27rv_NmDKv7Qfyym7uDREc3_QRJ4MWLxXQWW-

I also removed a very small amount of flash.

I think I'll remove the raised panel lines and scribe them

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Long said:

Do you know why they have that bit?

The extension improved the airflow over the wing by creating a vortex. This increases the performance of the wing with reduced drag 

It's a wee bit more involved than that but gets quite technical and I get lost after 'vortex' :D

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Long said:

Do you know why WB188 didn't have them?

No Hunter until The F6 had them.

When F4's were being rebuilt for the Royal Navy as T8 and GA11, they were modified with the leading edge extension as were most if not all of those refurbished for export.

I don't know if any of the earlier versions F Mk 1, 2, 4 and 5 in RAF service were ever retrofitted. I doubt it as the F6 took over as the main version. Everything I've written is from memory so I am happy to be corrected on any point though.

You'll notice no Mk3 in that list as WB188 was the only one having been converted from the first prototype. It wasn't an F3 as it had no weapons.

I've got quite a few books on the Hunter .Feel free to PM me for anything I can help with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Long said:

'm surprised they didn't add them later and have another go at the airspeed record then

I think that by the time they came along a Hunter wasn't going to break many records.

Hard to believe that the Hunter is still a potent adversary aircraft with mainly ex Swedish ones in America and Canada .

Hawker Hunter aviation at Scampton have 3. Note the relatively recent serial numbers of the F58s as these are ex Swiss and were never in the RAF

DkRZIEDWwAA3A2I.jpg1618281-large.jpg

img_9_2_0.jpg?itok=vFHMH3Ai

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, RWG686 said:

The extension improved the airflow over the wing by creating a vortex. This increases the performance of the wing with reduced drag 

It's a wee bit more involved than that but gets quite technical and I get lost after 'vortex' :D

It helps delay the spanwise airflow over the top of the wing. The high-pressure air wants to spill over the wing tip (This is where wingtip vortices come from) and you need something to stop it. It's much more pronounced with swept-wing aircraft and high speed.

Note Soviet aircraft like the MiG-15, 17 and 19 and Su-7 have huge wing fences. These do the job, but add needless weight. Hawker went with the dogtooth, which creates a standing vortex which extends over the chord of the wing and acts like a fence. The extra weight of the structure is cancelled out by the increased lift the wing produces.

Edited by Jessie_C
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

To answer my own question; no, the flaps are all like that.

Dogteeth removed, lines that seem to be there on WB188 re-scribed, the others sanded off.

y4m1VdAvpfBvMcKvrYb44XJGYB9oFPz4eFrMNSkD

I thought about separating the control surfaces and posing them at interesting angles, but then realised I'd have to model the inside of the flaps.

y4maiKGnsurfIw2xYc3XFvuR4C-2-8PPg8QuqmPw

The moulded in place air-brake has been obliterated.

y4m2tV026KN0nT3sUpg4DVN_Wx3a_ixDenm5nsiZ

Neville Duke and his trusty Martin Baker ejection seat, allegedly xD

y4mTFI0XtY3FSVLxU3jq_Ynk_eOQwfoL7RFmySdU

I thought about buying a detailed replacement seat, but I don't think you'd see it through this canopy anyway:

y4meCEvBBnGX2Hbdnv9vqd17jwkzWFNYMcmhS3fe

That being said, I might have to build a replacement canopy somehow.

• Like 3

If you can't find a better "Neville" loafing about anywhere in your spares box then give me a shout.

Pretty sure I can supply a suitable driver to be slightly modified about the helmet to suit a 50's speed merchant.

• Like 1

I've been reshaping the rear end of one half today.

y4mAKBPh5pQ8U7aENqH9VSnS2pRm_w9vuMpUOLMs

What I'm aiming for:

y4mHBnKccqlWrfxldrxUCuw3dbBC4SsrrRJUcO88

Forgot to do a before photo, so here's the other half:

y4mONEYxK3rkT9WDd-yaM70vzAsWOe5KRXTU1To1

I suppose I should have got a different version with the right contour, but I'm quite pleased with what I've managed so far :)

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been re-scribing the panel lines which are in the right place, plus adding some missing ones, plus various vents and inlets.

Initially I was following the drawing in the Warpaint book, but, after studying lots of photographs, I've found that it's quite inaccurate.

I've also done more reshaping of the rear end, despite the thick plastic I've still had to carve all the way through. The top of the fuselage below the tail should be a continuous curve downwards, I think I've got it right on this side, just need to build up the missing piece.

At this point the two fuselage halves are glued together, though that's probably obvious :D

y4mKmdlGZ8xHDW08o0kSgkOTItkM1gn9xKjMomOd

y4mcpCdBYWp-rJ7_zLlLvanVxJoD1cYjpYEhWNAp

y4m3TY9uDvGDPVBPLguwyWT1Ga2P8ZPUSdoi56cG

y4mckXfjfRRPvIV9NjVJhz6f36BGbOPRYq0-6fjC

The rear end should be circular, rather than this egg shape.

y4mDrv8fwpeiAE3GyLCXn6KPUaBOMc1IEGz35lCF

It's all jolly good fun anyway!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

It's hard to see in person, let alone in a photograph, so I made this:

y4mBbyd0lT1nGbg-1y2A0Qeg97ASVRHN26gmm6vj

The blue line is where the top of the fuselage should be.

Which might look something like this from behind:

y4mwBt74y3arMv_bKwLvIqUNGYHrKgFNBGHWr1TG

• Like 3